Is there some way to quickly & easily view the authors of commentaries?

Enoch

I was just wanting to know what authors I had in my Accordance Library on a given book; in this case the authors who commented on Revelation and are my library. I also went to the Accordance website and tried to search for "commentaries on Revelation," but that did not bring up a list of the authors available either. I can readily see what sets I have, but would like to be able to quickly see what commenting-authors I have on a given book. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Enoch, there is a user tool of Commentary Authors that lists all of them (though now a little out of date), but I don't know a way of relating that to your particular library.

You'll find it here in the Accordance exchange

"Tony Lawrence has made a user tool with the name of the authors of the commentaries in Accordance as of June 2013. 9 Required 06/07/2013"

Edited by Ken Simpson

Could someone explain how to get this into Accordance 10 so it is always there? I unzipped the downloaded file and clicked on the file with the .acc7 file extension (it is in my downloads folder), and it opened in Accordance. Is it now permanently in Accordance, or do I need to move the file to some other place? Thanks.

Hi Eric, yes it is now pin your library - in the "My Stuff" => "My Tools" => "Commentary-Authors"

or just type "Authors" into the Library search bar.

no problems Eric. Very happy to help

It looks like you can also do an author last name search via your library search entry bar and see the relevant results, even for multi-volume works.

I can't find an easy way to get from that search result to that author's particular volume in the commentary (e.g., in the above, Ciampa and Rosner's 1 Corinthians volume), but it does at least seem to show what you have in your library by an author.

post-31802-0-38981800-1398690756_thumb.png

(Note--this doesn't help with narrowing it down to a given book of the bible, like you initially asked, Enoch, but it can at least get you author information.)

• 3 weeks later...

It appears to me that this list doesn't have even half the commentaries available.

You mean in your own library? I thought I'd found something that works, but let me know if this method misses something.

If you look at a commentary in its own zone you can just go to the first page of each volume in the sidebar; the author/editor of that volume should be there.

I just tried this with ACCS for example.

If it's tied/linked it is a little trickier, but if you select some text, and copy as citation, it will tell you the author wherever you paste it.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

[edit] in my baby-haze i realise this is slightly off-topic, and not what the original question was about.

any reader will see this - just noting that I do too!

Edited by Douglas Fyfe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Enoch, there is a user tool of Commentary Authors that lists all of them (though now a little out of date), but I don't know a way of relating that to your particular library.

You'll find it here in the Accordance exchange

"Tony Lawrence has made a user tool with the name of the authors of the commentaries in Accordance as of June 2013. 9 Required 06/07/2013"

I installed this/ downloaded it, but I find that this list apparently doesn't have even half of the commentaries per book. I compared it with the commentaries I own from Accordance and found it didn't have half of what I own.

Then add/delete as necessary to make it match your library.

Please do add some way to quickly find commentaries / authors for a given Bible book. I think this is one area where paper books outshine electronic libraries (so far; Accordance could eliminate that problem). I can look on my shelf at all the commentaries for, say, Ephesians and immediately see what I have. Of course, I also have to look at the multivolume sets, so it does get cumbersome. I think this enhancement is really essential, and I'm a bit surprised it's not already in Accordance.

Edited by EricC

• 2 weeks later...

Then add/delete as necessary to make it match your library.

I began compiling the list incorporating just what I have to that list, but it was taking a long, long time, especially to check what was in my list vs the old-fishal list, so I would know what to add, without just willy-nilly adding and then having a lot of duplicates.