Accordance Pricing of Anchor Bible OT and Apocrypha

Gedalya

I just noticed that another bible software program is offering the same "Anchor Bible OT and Apocrypha" module that Accordance recently offered, at a price at least $200 cheaper than the Accordance module during Accordance's deepest discount sale. Why is there such a discrepency in the pricing? I can understand that there can be price differences and competition between companies but this seems to me to be a bit surprising.

More often than not this kind of discrepancy usually goes in favour of Accordance users, were a set of commentaries will be a few hundred $'s cheaper in Accordance. I got my ZEB set for a ridiculous price (on sale) that couldn't even be closely matched anywhere. WBC would be another great example. While I agree with your point that the difference can be hundreds of $'s, I think its fair to say that customer savings are in both directions.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Said software company who is running that sale is notorious for undercutting the prices of both us and Logos (btw, check Logos' price on Anchor); that's how they choose to model their business. While I have not viewed this particular resource in their app to compare, from experience on other resources I can say with confidence that we put a lot more work into the layers of tagging, and field indexing which makes resources like this in Accordance better suited for research as opposed to reading. We also support bibliographic citations for each volume and ensure that they have page numbers to facilitate this.

While not related to this particular resource, a comparison of the desktop apps between us and them yields even more advantages of commentaries in Accordance. I hope this helps to answer the question in an objective manner, while obviously coming from an Accordance employee.

• Like 2

Rick,

Thanks for your response. In any event, it still seems to me that $200 is a substantial difference in the price, and,honestly, I was really shocked when I saw the difference in the price.While not getting into the differences between the software programs (I have both on my computer), or the advantages of one over the other,all I can say is that as a relative newcomer to Accordance software, I was a bit taken aback by the sizable price difference.

My only encouragement to you is not to focus on price alone, but look at the bigger picture of how the resources themselves are designed and function within their respective apps. I'm confident that the price you're paying for this in Accordance is fair, and represents the amount of work we put into it.

Again, compare us to Logos as that is a more accurate comparison between apps. Even with their current sale (which btw, is nice timing ;) ) they are still $200 more than us and we have 1 more newer volume for a total of 87 vols.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 2

Olivetree is a very nice mobile platform... one of my biggest faults with them is absolutely no quotation ability. When I use my OT resources i have to manually look them up online to quote the proper author quickly. I have a few larger items there that were just too good a deal to pass up... New International Commentary (which in fact was i believe $70 more than Accordances introductory price, but I couldn't afford to get it in september when Accordance released it) I also have Understanding the Bible set and NIV Application set, the rest of my OT resources are smaller ones and I do like them but it is frustrating how limited their desktop software is and the tagging level is poor as noted above. And a pet peeve for me is lack of a strong's tagged NRSV.

-Dan

• Like 1

When I spoke with the Accordance sales dept over a price competition, I was told that Accordance does compete with prices -- which sounded to me like Accordance would price match with software competitors, except with Kindle. Why not contact and haggle directly?

I can add that comparing price is a little bit meaningless when you really get how Accordance or Logos, or other sw work.

I have some text in Logos, I am thinking to buy also in Accordance, because each system has its own advantage.

When I study words in their original meaning, I want to have any dictionary in Accordance;

When I prepare myself for a quick 1 hour bible study, I want to have as much link as possibile among my commentaries, in Logos;

I find both useful in their own ways, and while I find myself more and more attracted to use Accordance for deep, tough question, I enjoy realxing with a monography in Logos, or checking tons of short commentaries on a single sentence passage.

I'm with Rick on this one. The level of Tagging, plus the big one for me original language stuff. As far as I can tell Olive Tree, although a great platform has not got the original breath of langauge focus that Accordance has. The ablity to bring up your tools alongside original language stuff does it for me.