Recent article about paper books, etc.

Chuck Schneider

It is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I now do 90% of my reading on my iPad/computer. That being said I will never get rid of my NIB 12 volume or many other books even though I may have them on the computer/iPad. For one simple reason I do not trust our technologies... I would not last long in some post apocalyptic world (nor does it really worry me), but I know even as late as 3 years ago power was knocked out 8 days by a bad snow storm. We were ok with our generator but it is nice to know that in such an event I can still do my studies. One comedian said wisely, we have things carve on rocks thousands of years old (although if meaning clay tablets not exactly caved), today we have it all knowledge in computer formats and a magnet can erase it. None of us knows what the future will bring exactly, though we have hints and know for whom we long for. If Christ tarries and centuries go by we do not know what will happen but I know I still have my may Grandma's Bible that is still readable even though it is over 100 years old. In 2114 I would wonder if any software we use to day will even be remotely readable. And while no one likes to think of possibilities of a new dark ages, it could well happen, and I shudder how dark that time will be if the day arises when there is no books and we have no way of reading the knowledge we have collected and been given.

-Dan

I find this broader discussion endlessly fascinating. One thing that encourages me about Accordance in this regard is that if you bought a text or module with them 20 years ago, you haven't (I assume?) had to pay for it again, and can still use it now, 20 years later... albeit on a different computer, OS, etc. That gives me hope that whatever I'm investing in in Accordance now will still be usable 20 years later, even if it looks different. In other words, I'm confident that no matter how computing evolves, Accordance will work (as they have already in the past) to make sure its users can still use their licenses.

Concern about an expiring or non-transferrable license is probably what gives people the most pause when considering electronic purchases. Accordance seems to minimize that concern, given its long-term presence and commitment to its customers.

Though, of course, it is true that paper books totally circumvent issues of licensing, compatibility, electricity, etc.

One funny thing I've observed (has this happened with anyone else?) is that after using Accordance for a while and then moving to a print book with biblical references, I keep wanting to tap the references in the print book for a verse or footnote to pop up! Maybe in the next century that hybrid technology will exist.

It is funny what you get used to. I still remember coming back from lunch one day and finding a yellow PostIt note stuck to the middle of my screen. I tried at least a couple of times to click a window to pop in front of it before I realised what I was doing.

Oooops

D

• Like 1

I did have macBible... and my first purchase directly from Oaksoft was NJB/REB I think...

-Dan

While I still have sitting in my cave two Macs running OS 7 with SCSI connections, I also have a PC that came with Win 98. I also have much of the software that ran on those paperweights. While I don't have much reason to fire any of them back up, there are documents that I moved from them to newer models and then on to still newer models. Some of the information I had to manually enter on the new computer because the software I was using saved in a proprietary format and didn't have the option of creating a more generic form.

Even today, I am still leery about any piece of software that won't allow me to save out my work (or the resources I had with the software to generate the work) in a more portable form. Some publishers (like e.g. Accordance or Adobe) are still able to allow me to work with material from previous versions, I take advantage of that to pull off old HDs files I haven't used in a long time but are suddenly relevant today.

Then there are the gotchas. I dl'ed an album on iTunes. One song that was supposed to be over four minutes stopped playing 32 seconds in. While another I dl'ed 3 time still hasn't come down intact. Nothing is sacred. Even the pre-historic cave art can be lost due to vandalism or an earthquake. That is the one thing which we have lost over the years. Some old software I used to run had a setting that allowed you to provide two different locations, formats, and schedules for it to automatically save your work.

My $.02

John

P.S. Why did they take the cent character off the keyboard? It was well used on the old typewriters.

P.S. Why did they take the cent character off the keyboard? It was well used on the old typewriters.

Inflation! ;)

• Like 2

Opt-$ = ¢.

Paper books age, too, yellowing and fading as they age. I've also had mice eat the bindings of some of the books I purchased as a new grad student, years ago. Then there is the issue with mildew and mold in the more humid climates and the ever present threat of fire or flood.

I am very content with electronic resources. I can take them where ever I go; they transfer easily from machine to machine; they are far easier to use. If my computer is stolen or my HD crashes, I can always download them from the server again (Try THAT with paper books!). All in all, I am satisfied with the decision I made to go electronic.

If my computer is stolen or my HD crashes, I can always download them from the server again (Try THAT with paper books!). All in all, I am satisfied with the decision I made to go electronic.

Once, during an overnight stay in downtown Prague, somebody had cleaned out everything of value that we had left in our car, including a set of commentaries that I was bringing back home.

We found the entire box of commentaries opened and abandoned only about 2 parking spots away. :) Now THAT is a significant benefit to the paper book versions!

• Like 2

Had the robber(s) stopped to read through some of those commentaries, he/she/they might have been convicted to return the rest of your stuff! At least you got the commentaries back....

• Like 1

Hah! Positive proof someone didn't care for printed books...

Had the robber(s) stopped to read through some of those commentaries, he/she/they might have been convicted to return the rest of your stuff!

If he had done that he would probably have still been reading the first volume when he got picked up by the police!!

it's not black and white and there is preference and workflow to take on mix in. ( I was reading the user notes in tools thread and these two combine for me)

I prefer CDs to buying on line as I like the tactile of a booklet while listening and miss that with my Aradhna recording I had to download as I couldn't get it in the uk. (Though I will download specific tracks). Yet I immediately rip it to iTunes so I can consume it on any device (so I still prefer an MBP over an air).

If it's by Salgado, it has to be a book, preferably hardback.

For reference, accordance is great because of the links which leaves paper standing.

I read mainly computer books so SharePoint and Sibelius I'm happy with electronic as I am looking for something specific and it's much easier to read on a device. But Lightroom and photoshop I prefer hard copies because I can flick through and see things the software can do that I wasn't thinking about and so be aware of its features, despite the downside of storage.

For music, preferably scorch or PDF but then when I am arranging on computer, it's great to have the hard copy beside me, though I don't print out anything I've downloaded as I don't like printing.

But my common worship and times and seasons are both hard copy and electronic so I can flick through the various options but can lead or copy easily.

We have lots of tools, let's just enjoy them give thanks for the creativity that thought of them, (I am so impressed with the guy who came up with all the features in forScore) and use the right on for the job in hand and enjoy our differences.

We are complex, made in the image...

Edited by ukfraser