#1 smhr

smhr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

I purchased Accordance because it ran on Linux using Wine (Logos did not). It worked really well until version 10.4.3.

Starting from Accordance 10.4.3, I Accordance doesn't work anymore on Linux, I can't even start it.

I know that you are not officially supporting Accordance on Linux, but I wonder if you might consider that. You could work with Codeweavers to get Accordance running on Linux without Code changes from your side.

Thanks

Samuel

PS: If there are any other Linux users that would love to see Linux support for Accordance, please raise your voice here :)

• R. Mansfield, Dan Francis and PastorDavid like this

#2 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopaedic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.3
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi Sam, not a linux user (except for MythTV) but you can downgrade to 10.4.2 by redownloading it and reinstalling. Bit of a pain I know...not your idea; solution.

I am not involved in software coding, direction or planning so I can't comment on the request really.

You can download 10.4.2 (Windows)  here

Edited by Ken Simpson, 07 July 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#3 David Purton

David Purton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

+1!

I just upgraded to version 10 because the demo version works under wine 1.7. I was running version 9 under the emulator.  Thanks for the tip on using 10.4.2. I can confirm that this works, but 10.4.3 doesn't.

BTW, Samual, what version of wine are you using? I'm using 1.7.15 under Debian amd64. I couldn't get it to work with the stable 1.6 packages.

Edited by David Purton, 09 July 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#4 smhr

smhr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi David,

I also used the 1.7 series, with 1.6 some things didn't work for me.

Currently I'm using Crossover which has also the latest wine (1.7.x) internally.

#5 smhr

smhr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hi Sam, not a linux user (except for MythTV) but you can downgrade to 10.4.2 by redownloading it and reinstalling. Bit of a pain I know...not your idea; solution.

I am not involved in software coding, direction or planning so I can't comment on the request really.

You can download 10.4.2 (Windows)  here

The link points to 10.4.3.

But anyway, thanks for the tip.

#6 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

http://www.accordanc...dance10.4.2.exe is the right link.

-dan

#7 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopaedic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.3
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Oops - sorry! Forgot to edit it. Dan has it right.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#8 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Accordance Version:Non-user

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

Why not just ask them to port Accordance to Linux?

Edited by salamanderrake, 21 October 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#9 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Anyone find out why Accordance 11 dose not work with wine, and if they will start supporting wine since they will not port it to linux?

#10 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:47 AM

It could be a simple thing... it might be something deep down in the heart of the program... I honestly do not know. Accordance never officially supported wine but there were several users devoted to seeing if they could get it working. I would guess that Accordance would be happy to have it running in WINE but I am not sure if the staff is there too do it. I dare say that Android seems to me to be a more logical step than LINUX next... That said WINE based LINUX may be a far easier goal than Android since it might just be a couple of bugs to swat. I realize that I have offered you virtually nothing useful, but wanted to let you know someone is listening even if I can do nothing to help...

God bless and have a wonderful Christmas.

-Dan

#11 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Usually its either a missing lib(wine/windows side) or some setting, but I can get no message as to why they won't run, its also compounded that I don't have a licensee yet. was hoping that some pioneers had fond out what was missing/broke, and it seems that it started in 10.4.3 since the 10.4.3 downgrade download installs and runs while the 10.4.3 does not. Maybe the devs can tell us what they changed between those versions that broke the wine installed version.

Edited by salamanderrake, 25 December 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#12 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

I don't see Accordance officially porting to Linux. If the community can continue to test and send feedback to keep it singing on Crossover, then that's handy. Accordance has a pretty small staff, and the resources it'd take to do a full Linux port probably wouldn't justify it.
  • Julie Falling and Dan Francis like this

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#13 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

I think Nathan is right.  And most of us are more interested in new resources and features than in Linux.  

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#14 Fabian

Fabian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:www.internetkirche.com
    www.iglesia-del-internet.com
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

Mmh

Is not Mac OS X and Linux based on Unix? So it would not to be a brand new version.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Yosemite 10.10.3

Accordance 11.0.5 and waiting on 11.1

iPhone 4S

iOS 8.3

iAccord 2.0

#15 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

Mmh

Is not Mac OS X and Linux based on Unix? So it would not to be a brand new version.

Thats actually correct but one, and only really one problem, is the gui. Thats why I mention Qt in other threads because it can run on both Windows, Mac, and Linux. The only other thing they would need to do is spend time on the port. I would be better if they started this for Accordance 12, or start internally on 11, if they decide to go the Qt route. The real issue is time and effor, since the base of a linux port is already started with the mac port.

#16 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

Accordance has a pretty small staff, and the resources it'd take to do a full Linux port probably wouldn't justify it.

I'm not certain any Bible software company is large enough to port to Linux. Bible software is already a niche market, and Bible software on Linux is a very tiny niche of the niche. It would just about have to be a community endeavor.

Personally, I'd like to see it done by the users. I've wanted for a while to get an inexpensive laptop to use as a Linux machine. If we ever got a setup that was fairly stable, I imagine we could link to it, but without giving it official support. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon, iOS 8.3

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 8.3

#17 Fabian

Fabian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:www.internetkirche.com
    www.iglesia-del-internet.com
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

http://www.cleverbibel.de/faq/under  Was sind die Systemvoraussetzungen von CLeVer?

Windows XP/Vista/7/8

Mac OS X ab 10.5 (nur Intel)
Linux: getestet unter Ubuntu, Debian, openSuse

So I know two brothers are the full staff.

I have this Software only because they have german contents which I still missing in Accordance.

Edited by Fabian, 26 December 2014 - 01:10 PM.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Yosemite 10.10.3

Accordance 11.0.5 and waiting on 11.1

iPhone 4S

iOS 8.3

iAccord 2.0

#18 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

Has anyone actually tried Acc 11 on Wine ? I see here the OP was that 10.4.3 broke in July. But I haven't seen any posts about 11 behaviour.

There were a couple of posts of people doing some serious exploration of getting this going in the 10.x timeframe. I don't know if any of that would help here.

I've only played with this on 10 and not with a dual boot setup but with Mint over VBox.

Mind you I have a 1TB SSD now and could partition for a Linux second boot. Hmmm....

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.4                       Accordance 11.0.4
      OSX 10.10.2 (Yosemite)                  Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#19 salamanderrake

salamanderrake

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm not certain any Bible software company is large enough to port to Linux. Bible software is already a niche market, and Bible software on Linux is a very tiny niche of the niche. It would just about have to be a community endeavor.

Personally, I'd like to see it done by the users. I've wanted for a while to get an inexpensive laptop to use as a Linux machine. If we ever got a setup that was fairly stable, I imagine we could link to it, but without giving it official support. 

If you try any distro first, try opensuse, its got a nice feel to it and most, if not all, of its system settings can be set in a gui. Second how can the community work on this, or do you mean the wine side? If its wine your talking about that is what I am asking.

Has anyone actually tried Acc 11 on Wine ? I see here the OP was that 10.4.3 broke in July. But I haven't seen any posts about 11 behaviour.

There were a couple of posts of people doing some serious exploration of getting this going in the 10.x timeframe. I don't know if any of that would help here.

I've only played with this on 10 and not with a dual boot setup but with Mint over VBox.

Mind you I have a 1TB SSD now and could partition for a Linux second boot. Hmmm....

Thx

D

Acc 10.4.2 runs, but I cant test more then just install and running and asking for my credentials, 10.4.3 and 11 do not, they won't even start up in wine and I was hoping someone was able to find out what was stopping it from running. I plan on getting the mounce study bundle, http://www.accordanc...ce Bundle-10_13and if I can get on a payment plan I would get more, like some of the others with an esv bible. And when I get it I can just install the downgrade that I got from the forums.

Edited by salamanderrake, 26 December 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#20 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

...or do you mean the wine side? If its wine your talking about that is what I am asking.

That's what I meant.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon, iOS 8.3

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 8.3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users