Linux support

smhr

Hi,

I got Acc working with the latest Wine 1.7x and Wine Staging.

My preliminary report – there's a lot of flashing and flickering; there are no visible menu items below the top tab of a module's name, i.e., right down to where the change font size, Set Text Pane Display, etc. menu should be, but you can see these items when you hover the mouse, and you can click on them; and, everything seems to work, e.g., Hebrew construct searches.

My next steps – I'll keep Acc activated in Ubuntu, and see if updates to Wine, Acc, or any other advice might help. I'll keep you posted, and even send screen shots once I learn how to take them in Ubuntu.

Thanks to all for this post.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

I'll . . . send screen shots once I learn how to take them in Ubuntu.

post-32543-0-34711400-1451432796_thumb.png

I am very happy that you have one of the best if not the best (there is always going to be debate). Bible software working on Linux. Thank you for sharing the screen shot.

Dan

Thanks for your work on this Michael. It gives me great hope in case one day Apple decides to retire the Mac and concentrate solely on iOS.

Hi Rick,

I'm amazed at how similar Ubuntu is to Snow Leopard.

I'll probably experiment with Acc in another Linux VM, to try to resolve the flickering and flashing when I hover the mouse.

If Acc offered a Linux version, I would migrate from Logos to Acc, and leave Windows for good. There must be others who would do the same.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

I was feeling very impish tonight and reminded the mega thread on Linux over in L land that people do having Accordance running on Linux with the latest Wine 1.7x and Wine Staging. I did that because it sounds like it will be a cold day before their program will ever work in Linux.

-Dan

PS: I promise not to tease the people with software with that works... hehehehehe 

Edited by Dan Francis

Hi Dan,

Logos has made it clear they won’t develop a Linux version, although they might change their mind if the year of Linux ever arrives.

I was going to switch to Mac, but Ubuntu is so much like Snow Leopard, familiar and stable, that I switched to Ubuntu instead. I'll eventually save quite a bit of money on hardware (Linux can run on almost anything) and software (no more yearly anti-virus). I would like to put that money toward Acc modules. But, I would feel better doing it if Acc offered a Linux version.

I think the year of Linux may be coming soon. It is definitely easier to install programs now, you can run familiar programs natively like Chrome (with Netflix), Adobe and other pdf readers, Libre Office, and Scrivener (Linux version is free), and others in Wine, like MS Office (with system wide keyboards), and of course, the cloud office suites, etc. I also have to say that for my needs, Unicode Hebrew copy and paste works better between programs in Ubuntu than in Snow Leopard.

I just hope Acc doesn't mind resetting my Activations if I use them all up trying to solve the flickering issue.  :)

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

I'm not a Linux user, but I have almost heard, that OS X and Linux are on the base the same. So I'm always staggered that the software for Linux which runs on a compiler are from Windows and not from Mac which were nearer.

Can someone explain me why this is so?

Greetings

Fabian

Linux and OSX are actually in origin from different flavours of Unix if you like. Linux comes from Linus Torvalds efforts to produces a free Unix-like operating system. OSX comes out of the Mach BSD Unix lineage. So at root they are not from the same line though they look at many OS concepts in broadly similar ways as do most (all ?) *nix OSes.

The Windows and Apple libraries and development system are about equally proprietary. What differs and makes Linux using Windows binaries possible is that Wine was developed to provide a high level Windows interface running on Linux. This has not to my knowledge been done for OSX. To do this in a way that does not require a recompilation of the binary programs requires of course compatible hardware, which basically means Intel architecture (that's too general a term of course because Intel makes many chips - but basically Intel x86 lineage), which most Windows programs are built for. This was not always possible on Mac of course but with the Power PC days gone it's at least vaguely conceivable.

Thx

D

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

You can run accordance 11 in wine with playonlinux using wine 1.7.55 prefix, or pretty much any version of wine after 1.7.44 from staging, it has the patches to get the 11 version up and running. But here is a candidate to get Accordance 11 ported to native linux. Here is a link to two screen shots, http://imgur.com/a/0PygF , one as it idles and one where you get to see the text while hovering the mouse over a 'magic' spot.

Edited by salamanderrake
  • Like 1

Its the same with wine 1.9.13 and 1.9.14-staging

I'll have to see if I can get it running via Wine.  I have an entire VM with Windows 10 for Logos, so it would be nice to be able to run Accordance with only Wine!

I'll have to see if I can get it running via Wine.  I have an entire VM with Windows 10 for Logos, so it would be nice to be able to run Accordance with only Wine!

Be warned, the gui is busted on the lastest Accordance, I don't know which version actually broke it though, I just know it was on Accordances side as the 1.7.44-staging and up are broken in the same way. If you want to get it working just try using playonlinux, as you can switch versions of wine pretty easy.

Edited by salamanderrake

Be warned, the gui is busted on the lastest Accordance, I don't know which version actually broke it though, I just know it was on Accordances side as the 1.7.44-staging and up are broken in the same way. If you want to get it working just try using playonlinux, as you can switch versions of wine pretty easy.

Darn, I thought it was working.  Thanks for letting me know.  Yeah, I pretty much only use PlayOnLinux when I get things going with Wine.  It really does make things a lot easier!

Did you see my screen shots, its workable, but way buggy, more buggy then what it was when it first started working with wine. I didn't mean to give the impression that its broken, but that the rendering is messed up some how, maybe I will go on #winehq and harass a dev to see if they can look at it.

Edited by salamanderrake

Yes, I see the screenshots.  I will still probably look at trying it out.  It'll be fun :)

Yes, I see the screenshots.  I will still probably look at trying it out.  It'll be fun :)

Got some good news, its a little more work but still worth it, follow this post, http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/17818-installing-on-debianlinux-with-internet-connection-problem/?p=8913111.0.6 is acceptable, its not perfect, being in wine thats fine, but you will need wine staging/winehq staging depending on your distro. If its ubuntu there is a ppa with a winehq-staging build that will work, it will be 1.9.14, pol has internet connection issues.

Do not upgrade the app once you have it installed, it will break for you again.

Here, http://imgur.com/a/0PygF , I updated my set of screen shots with a little more info. Sometime after 11.0.6 I believe they changed/updated their UI toolkit, or at least thats how it looks to me.

I have a questions for the devs, since you are using Lazarus/Delphi/Pascal, why not just create a native port of Accordance on linux?

Edited by salamanderrake
  • Like 1

Here is a video highlighting issues with the gui in Accordance 11.2.2 and wine 1.9.14 ( note this is not wine staging, as the changes in Accordance some time after 11.0.6 allowed it to render without the wine patch but broke the ui in other areas) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psM12I9lFog and here https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40991 is my wine bug report.

Porting to linux, despite the fact that part of our development process uses Lazarus, would be very costly, and there is unfortunately not much user demand, this thread notwithstanding.

What if the community did crowd funding to raise the money to port it over to linux, how much would it cost, and/or maybe find a team in the community to do the porting, 

I did get 11.0.6 working using PlayOnLinux and the 1.9.14 staging version of Wine.  As far as POL not getting internet, after I closed Accordance and reopened it, it installed Gecko, and then connected.  I haven't gotten a chance to play with it to see how usable it is, since it took so long to download resources!

Yeah, Accordance 11.0.6 does seem more solid with wine 1.9.14 staging, then 11.2.2 does with any version.