User Tool bold-normal character bug (10.3.4)

Fabian

Hello

Since 10.4.3 I have a strange habit in the User Tool.

Sometimes when I import a Text then comes the bold characters from the .html file normal and what is normal in the .html comes bold.

e.g. I have import a text all is normal, then I have in the .docx file change the headers, so that it comes good in the browser of the User Tool and then I had that comes the bold character normal and the normal bold.

One time over the full document, and one time in another some sections.

Greetings

Fabian

Hello, Fabian:

I have experienced that in the past, too. I believe that I have recently found a work-around that seems to consistently work. It sounds like you are importing a Word html file which creates the worst html code on the planet. The process I use is to load the html file into BBEdit and then run

Tidy - Clean Document with the following options checked: Eliminate Bogus Markup, Discard Empty Paragraphs, Discard Comments & Optional Tags

Then run

Tidy - Reflow Document with the following options checked: Wrap Attributes, Indent Attributes

In BBEdit the Tidy commands are located in the Markup menu or palette. Shortcuts can be set to make the process pretty quick, too.

This will create very clean code. I also change the encoding to UTF-8 and make sure the Doctype is Transitional 4.0.1 before saving the document. Any other Doctype will make the file unselectable in Accordance when attempting an import.

This will import pretty easily into Accordance. If you want Section links in the Accordance file, the sections can be formatted with headers while in BBEdit.

I have imported some pretty significant size files using this procedure without having any of those Bolding issues or the hanging indent issue.

Other software that offers similar functions might work too but BBEdit is hard to beat for this type of thing. It sells for $49 in the Mac App store or at barebones.com. A free downloadable demo is available at the Barebones website. I have used it for many years and find it essential.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

Hello Greg

Many thanks for your answer. I have a question: I find out that with the newest Accordance 10.4.3.2 now the Footnotes and Endnotes from the MSWord works. (Thanks Accordance), will this work when I do this?

2nd. Is it possible

Greetings

Fabian

Hello Greg

I have now bough the BBEdit and have done what you wrote.

Now I have 2 issues:

1. some Biblelinks comes now as Bold

2. The german Umlaut are all in another code, so they comes wrong now.

When I open the .html file in Word then I can see by showing HTML-source the Header with UTF-8 but not in the BBEdit. Is this normal?

Can you help me again?

Thanks

Fabian

And some Line Format that were as centre, comes now as from left.

The best solution I have with open in Libre Office and make a .html. But then I have in the beginning from every new Paragraph a space from the wide of a character.

Greetings

• 1 month later...

Now I have a free Commentary in EPUB Format convert to a HTMLZ with Calibre and then unzipped with the Unarchiever to a HTML.

If I import this the same habit like is coming soon. Only Accordance has problems if I open in several Browser it comes correct.

And there comes a format that I can't change in Accordance. Look at the curious bold paragraph in the middle with underline.

Please

post-32723-0-62465000-1409476652_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Hello

This problem coms always and only in the second part of the tools. In the first part it comes always correct. For me a bug.

In all Browsers like Safari, Firefox etc. it comes without this problems.

This happens with html's from MSWord and also with html from an ePub (convert with calibre). An ePub import for User Tools were also a needed thing.

And if Accordance support multiple utf's, multiple doctypes and xml

To be user friendly, Accordance has to solve this and not we must every .html through "seven" workflows make Accordance acceptable.

Thanks Accordance to solve this problem. ;)

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Hello Fabian:

Sorry for not answering–somehow missed your posts.

I am not with Accordance but have used the User Tool to make many modiles for my personal use. To really get a good quality file, all the html needs to be stripped and then re-applied correctly. BBEdit is excellent at doing this–if you have some html knowledge. Otherwise, you will experience many of the bugs which the User Tool contains. Sure wish they would make the User Tool more robust.

Not real sure about the german umlaut, it may be a number code in BBEdit instead of an actual letter. Assuming you have a Mac, hold down the vowel for which you wish the umlaut until the little menu appears above the letter you typed and select the appropriate number for the desired umlaut.

Footnotes and endnotes do not transfer unless formatted in the html as footnotes/ endnotes.

Bible links that come in bold are likely coded as being bold and must be changed in the html code.

Again, sorry for not seeing your post.

• Like 1

Hello Greg

Many thanks for your answer and your time.

For a few Years I have made a Homepage only in the MSTextedit, all self written with the CSS file. I hope I don't have forget to much:-)

The strange thing is that in Safari it comes full correct only Accordance is silly. And when the linked content and Footnotes and Endnotes are functionable in Safari it would be more than nice if Accordance is able soon too.

I have wrote to the support of Barebones but they only send me to their Forum. Unfortunately a habit that all sellers do.

From the MSWord Accordance support the bullet and the commentary functions what the html from LibreOffice don't. And even the space at the beginning from every new paragraph is not nice.

Hopefully OakTree solve this in the next .1 or sooner. Last time the User Notes has a great update and so I'm in hope for the next.

Greetings

Fabian

A work around for the footnotes would be to create a separate file that contains only the footnotes. Leave the footnote numbers in the main text and also in the separate footnote file. You could then open both files in a workspace and manually scroll the footnotes only file to match the footnote indicators in the main file. That would you could view the footnotes while reading the tex. Not elegant but it works. I have done this with a file or two that was heavily footnoted.

It would be nice if we could import MS Word files or rtf files. That would make Accordance more functional and much more valuable to all its users.

Your last sentence. I agree totally, but that must much more faster that the User Tool that we have now.

The html's from MSWord support active links in both ways in Safari. I'm sure this is possible in Accordance too.

• 1 month later...

now with Accordance 11, I have import a .htm file that was absolut normal. Then I want in the .docx file in MSWord change some titles from right to center and do it through the whole file and make a new .html and now I have the same issue again.

And I make some in Italics.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Hello

I fight still with with this problem. Now Accordance 11.0.4

Greetings

Fabian

• 1 month later...

I want to test, if with the preview version of MS Word 15.8 the problem still exist together with 11.0.4

So I have take the .docx file and convert it with the preview version to a html file. 

But Accordance can't import it now. All what I see is the Beachball. And Accordance is hanging.

Greetings

Fabian

• 4 months later...

The problem is solved when I use the last Word for Mac 15.12.3 and save it as .html filtered. With the save as .html without the filtered option the problem still exist. This creates a much cleaner .html but you have then lost informations to open it in Word again. 

MS is here better than OpenOffice, LibreOffice and some different tool which create .html's from a .docx, they had all bugs too in Accordance.

One point to Microsoft.

Greetings

Fabian