• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Pchris

Pchris

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

You're quite welcome, A.D! My professor told me just recently that the volumes have been postponed a bit by Brill due to delays. But don't they always?

Actually, there's a couple of ones I forgot in my original post that I'd like to see in Accordance as well:

An Aramaic Handbook vol I/1, I/2, II/1 and II/2 by Franz Rosenthal et alli (Porta Linguarum Orientalium Neue Serie X; Wiesbaden: Otto Harrasowitz, 1967).

It features texts and glossaries of nearly all stages of Aramaic - even Syriac! There's to my knowledge no dictionary of Old Aramaic either, so this glossary is also the closest thing to a non-biblical Aramaic Dictionary.

The Aramaic Inscriptions of Sefîre by Joseph Fitzmyer, S.J. (Biblica et Orientalia 19; Rome: Pontifical Biblical Institute 1967)

It is the only piece of literature that specifically deals with these very important stelae, so it's naturally a must! It provides transliteration, translation, commentary, facsimiles of the stelae and photographs. The photographs aren't worth much, though, in therms of checking up on the transliteration.

Ancient Mesopotamia by Leo Oppenheim (Chicago: The University Press of Chicago, 1977 [1964])

An old and important classic even though it is slightly outdated by today's standards. Still a great introduction work to the field of Assyriology and its many obstacles.

The Sumerian King List by Thorkild Jacobsen (Assyriological Studies No. 11; Chicago: The University Press of Chicago, fourth impression, 1973 [1939])

In spite of its age, it is still the standard edition, and even though the Chicago Oriental Institute offers a free PDF download, I'd nevertheless like to see it in Accordance.

A Cuneiform Anthology of Religious Texts from Ugarit by Johannes C. de Moor and Klaas Spronk (Semitic Study Series No. VI; Leiden: Brill, 1987) and 
An Anthology of Religious Texts from Ugarit by Johannes C. de Moor (Religious Texts Translation Series - NISABA Volume sixteen; Leiden: Brill, 1987)

The first book contains facsimiles of the religious texts from Ugarit (Not letters and the like), which is seldom seen, due to the fact that Ugaritic is almost always transliterated in Ugaritic scholarship, so it would make a neat addition. It cannot beat the InscriptiFact project, but if you will settle for facsimiles, this will do just fine. The second book contains translations of the texts transliterated in the first book. There is, of course, a newer translation of the Ugaritic texts with a more thorough commentary, which is the Religious Texts from Ugarit - The Words of Ilimilku and his Colleagues by Nicholas Wyatt (The Biblical Seminar 53; Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1998)

The Ugaritic Baal Cycle volume I - Introduction with Text, Translation and Commentary of KTU 1.1-1.2 by Mark Smith (Supplements to Vetus Testamentum Volume LV; Leiden: Brill, 1994) and The Ugaritic Baal Cycle volume II - Introduction with Text, Translation and Commentary of KTU/CAT 1.3-1.4 by Mark Smith & Wayne Pitard (Supplements to Vetus Testamentum Volume 114; Leiden: Brill, 2009)

Very thorough commentary on the Baal cycle. Both volumes use the same high quality photographs as the InscriptFact Project, which were taken by Bruce and Kenneth Zuckerman.

But to be honest:

I agree. I'd prefer to have the entire ANE corpus, even if it is just for texts with canonical parallels.

Ditto for NT background materials, though Accordance has done very well in including the rabbinic, pseudepigraphic, and apocalyptic works.

This is pretty much what I wish for - the entire ANE corpus for Accordance and loads of relevant literature about it.

With kind regards

Pchris

*EDIT*

Hah, would you look at that. This is my 100th post, granting me the "silver" title. How fitting!

Edited by Pchris, 10 November 2014 - 04:33 PM.

Accordance Version: 11.0.4 

Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (medio 2012)
Operating System: OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks.

#22 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,928 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthop�dic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.1
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Now go for Gold Pchris! (500)

• Pchris likes this

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#23 Pchris

Pchris

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

Now go for Gold Pchris! (500)

Hm. Gotta make more and smaller posts then!

That reminds me: If A.D. Riddle and Daniel R. hadn't posted here just now, I would've bumped the thread myself one of these days and ask about the development/if there is any development at the moment concerning ANE material for Accordance. But I can appreciate that you guys have plenty of stuff to do and a lot of projects in the works as it is already. Furthermore, the ANE field of study, in spite of its importance, is somewhat niche compared to mainstream Biblical studies and the sources are very much less accessible than Hebrew and Greek ones, so if the ANE isn't the next project in line, I'd understand.

...But if something is currently happening, even a small cryptic hint would be great :)

With kind regards

Pchris

#24 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,928 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthop�dic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.1

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi Pchris, not only can’t I drop a hint because I have no knowledge about anything like that, it’s also way above my paygrade in the organisation.

Someone else will have to let the dogs out...if there are any.

• Pchris likes this

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#25 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,797 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

I am afraid that we cannot make these things high priority. You are the only user advocating for them. We would need to see a lot more interest from other users before we could even consider adding such specialized resources. Either that, or the funding for the massive project would have to come from another source.

• Pchris likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#26 Pchris

Pchris

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

I am afraid that we cannot make these things high priority. You are the only user advocating for them. We would need to see a lot more interest from other users before we could even consider adding such specialized resources. Either that, or the funding for the massive project would have to come from another source.

Ah okay, good to know. It is a niche field after all, so I had a feeling that it wouldn't be top priority. At least not yet - I'll just have to go spread the word a lot more, then. :)
Thank you very much for the update on the matter!

With kind regards

Pchris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users