jeremyduncan

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 AM

Interchangeable would be amazing... 

but I would just take available on all platforms for the win :)

#22 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 AM

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this but then when I have ....this has been my basic fantasy. I have often thought that it would be nice if publishers produced a basic content file in, say TEI. Then software houses could pick that up and add layers to it, such as morph. tagging, syntax and so on. TEI itself might not be capable of this, but you need something to which people can contribute layers of information. It complicates the file format of course but it leverages the greater number of people involved to do more different things rather than having them doing essentially the same thing multiple times only to produce a different file format. But it's complicated by many factors technical and business related. I was looking at formats again the other day. Just in the biblical space there are numerous, both proprietary and open, formats. Standardising on a single or a small family of related formats would mean that people could use a common library of software to access and manipulate it. Software tools could be built on top of such libraries rather than having every program do it's own. My guess is that to get any traction this would have to come from the publishing end. It could happen slowly over time.

I agree it would be a great improvement though.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler, Yesterday, 05:16 PM.

• Dan Francis and jeremyduncan like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.4                       Accordance 11.0.4
      OSX 10.10.2 (Yosemite)                  Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wbc, word biblical commentary, Psalms, Joshua, Judges, Job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users