Strange characters in the ModuleInstallationLog

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I was just double checking what had been installed by the OL 11 upgrade and noticed this which has been there for ages but I've never got around to reporting. It looks like quotes are being placed around the module names but they appear as some strange character:

The module ÒPhilo Crossrefs.atoolÓ has been Installed.

The module ÒQumran Crossrefs.atoolÓ has been Installed.

The O with the accent above is what I think might be intended to be a quote. In Mac these are correctly rendering as quotes.

Thx

D

More likely the wrong unicode character for the quote marks are being used. Or the log contents are being written with MacRoman encoded text and whatever you are looking at the log file with is assuming UTF8 or some other text encoding.

Edited by Scott Knapp

Granted - that's more or less what I think - though perhaps I did not communicate that well.

BTW, I am using Wordpad to look at the log but Notepad is the same.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

OK. Windows. Then most probably a MacRoman encoding versus Windows Latin-1 encoding of the smart quote characters.

Ah ok. No great drama obviously, just a simple nice to fix thing whenever there is time.

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know but they sound similar.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Initially, I thought this issue was occurring because I am not on an English OS, but after reading this thread I am beginning to think that these issues might be related.