International Critical Commentary

Enoch

There must be some reason why Accordance does not sell the ICC.

That is one set I do wish I had (without forking out a king's ransom).

I think Accordance might try licensing just the more recent volumes since the 80's except the ones that are soon to be replaced. That way it would be tremendously much less work tagging them. All the old volumes are going to be replaced by new ones in this series, eventually, anyway so there's not much point in a full series other than that perhaps a select few volumes might still be OK for form criticism. I would buy in Accordance although I would not buy a full Old Testament set. I also wonder if ICC is ever going to do a volume on Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) - I would like to have one - I have insufficient books on that part of the Catholic canon (I'm not exactly Catholic though, more like studying to become an Anglican priest or religious teacher)?:

There must be some reason why Accordance does not sell the ICC.

That is one set I do wish I had (without forking out a king's ransom).

I have the full ICC from a competitor and it is one of the three resources that I use that program for. Some of the older volumes are classics and thte ICC editors have always been careful to assure high quality in these volumes. I would love to have the ICC in Accordance.

Dale Allison's new ICC commentary on James is masterful, as is the somewhat older 3 volume commentary on Matthew by Davies & Allison. They would be a great asset for Accordance. Some of the older ones also, eg, CEB Cranfield's two volumes on Romans, are indeed classics, but I would not buy the whole OT or NT set of commentaries.

Just the other day I was actually searching for an electronic version of Allison's commentary on James to see if I could buy one here or elsewhere and did not find one.

I see the 1916 version of James by James H. Ropes at the other company and it is listed that the Allison one is under development to be released with Goldingay's Trito Isaiah. The 2 volumes being prepubed at $112 making it a decent brain since the volumes usually go for $90 each.

-dan

This would be a great heavyweight commentary series for Accordance to work on after Anchor is complete.

• Like 1

Many of the old volumes of ICC are available for free download here, for example:

https://archive.org/details/acriticalandexeg00skinuoft

Thanks so very much, Gordon.

Here is the link to the list of commentaries, a real treasure trove. 90 volumes!

Again, thanks so very much!

https://archive.org/search.php?query=A%20CRITICAL%20AND%20EXEGETICAL%20COMMENTARY%20AND%20collection%3Atoronto

If ever there were an illustration of how the wheat & the tares are both growing in the world . . . .

We have undreamed of resources now for Bible study.

I do not value new commentaries over old commentaries automatically. One reason is that in halcyon days there were gentlemen who learned the classics & classical language from childhood. It is difficult for someone who starts to learn a language in adulthood to compete in language competence with those who started in childhood. For a NT commentary, if one really wants help in knowing precisely what the Greek means, one needs a teacher who is steeped in Greek literature from Homer to the Church Fathers. Such a scholar can read a passage in the NT and then think, "Hmm, Polybius said something very much like that in his Theory of the Mixed Constitution -- so does Joesphus in his War. Plutarch has the identical figure of speech."

A new commentary, IMHO, is more likely to go off into la la land with an imaginative reconstruction of the historical context and of the text, a supposition of what "the opponents" advocated. This is far different from the objective knowledge of the history of the times as represented in primary sources and from the objective analysis of the grammar.

If these are available for free download, copyright expired, I wonder why Accordance doesn't sell them as tagged and searchable.

Edited by Enoch

If these are available for free download, copyright expired, I wonder why Accordance doesn't sell them as tagged and searchable.

Most of these resources were digitized via funds provided by Google and distributed through the Internet Archive and/or Google Books, with a specific clause in their license about not being used for commercial purposes. There are some gray areas on how that exactly applies to us since we would not sell their PDFs, but in a sense a derivative product. In the past we have attempted to get a straight answer from them on use of their e-texts, but it is not black-and-white, and so therefore have opted not to get into a position where we might one day be in a legal situation.

That said, just because a searchable PDF exists for a resource does not at all mean it is suitable for us to use. In fact, with ICC specifically, it would involve a tremendous amount of work to utilize these PDFs (or any of the file formats they have available) for use in Accordance; so much so that we would be better off digitizing them ourselves. However, that task also involves a tremendous amount of work, which we are not prepared to invest in at this point.

If you hadn't noticed, we already thought of this several years ago. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick. Having waiting many years for the Anchor Bible, one may still hope for the ICC in Accordance.

… we would be better off digitizing them ourselves. However, that task also involves a tremendous amount of work, which we are not prepared to invest in at this point.

How about digitizing a few volumes, such as Cranfield or Allison, since the whole ICC is an unreasonable project for OakTree?

• Like 2

Of course you all know your own business much better than I. To myself, I am wondering how much work it is just to scan a book and turn it into electronic text, when the book has Greek and middle eastern languages in native font.

funds provided by Google and distributed through the Internet Archive and/or Google Books

Google books would be a wonderful resource if it were not so difficult to use with a pane that is a pain.

Is Archive.org connected to Google somehow?

Of course you all know your own business much better than I. To myself, I am wondering how much work it is just to scan a book and turn it into electronic text, when the book has Greek and middle eastern languages in native font.

Google books would be a wonderful resource if it were not so difficult to use with a pane that is a pain.

Is Archive.org connected to Google somehow?

Like I said, it's a tremendous amount of work.

Archive.org is basically a repository; people upload files there for public consumption. Many of those titles were digitized by funds provided by Google.

How about digitizing a few volumes, such as Cranfield or Allison, since the whole ICC is an unreasonable project for OakTree?

It's not that it's unreasonable, but not the right timing. I'm not sure adding a few volumes would satisfy demand. And, keep in mind, not all of the ICC series is in the public domain. If we do it, we'd like the entire series - new(er) and old.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 2

Like I said, it's a tremendous amount of work.

Archive.org is basically a repository; people upload files there for public consumption. Many of those titles were digitized by funds provided by Google.

It's not that it's unreasonable, but not the right timing. I'm not sure adding a few volumes would satisfy demand. And, keep in mind, not all of the ICC series is in the public domain. If we do it, we'd like the entire series - new(er) and old.

Remember the Proverb:

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."