Accordance 11...how far along?

tony10000

Their 4 was never finished, so why should you expect 5 to be any different. I just feel bad for the beta users there stuck with a 5 full of bugs, literally being forced to upgrade it they want a stable program. But rather than focusing on what others are doing it is nice to know that Accordance makes good stable software and is bringing us new features. One person's blog said it correctly.... L is the bat mobile of bible software (he considered this a good thing but used it to point out it was a high cost, but with all he features one could want). Accordance is great program, with good options, but I for one don't need afterburners or missile launchers or fins... B)

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Sorry guys, but I have to say I find this unfair.

Accordance just as well got many online bugs and server issues when it introduced it's new wonderful upgrade feature. Something similar might come once it's updated to Acc 11.

Had Logos 5 for one year now, and really no bugs whatsoever. On the other hand, my Accordance crashed a few times and contains some few small bugs.

HOWEVER, none of this is bad. Both companies bring just fabulous things to the table for us to enjoy. I respect both parties that they dare to bring new stuff even when it means problems, bugs, issues and everything else. No risk, no reward.

We humans are fallen and to expect perfection isn't normal nor makes one happy :)

EDIT: fixed some grammar

Edited by rokas
  • Like 2

Programs that are more server dependent (e.g. Logos) must provide higher service levels than those that are less server dependent (e.g. Accordance). Not being able to access resources for several days is a real problem. Releasing an upgrade that doesn't even open on a device still in production is indicative of a serious flaw in your QC. All software companies have bugs and server problems. It is only when the prevent the use of the program for several days do they become critical. With Accordance, I have not experienced any problems that were showstoppers.

I never meant to imply they were horrible, I use them daily....a few times a week in the past it would unexpectedly quit (this has happened in Accordance too, just not as frequently). My bugs comment was focused on the known defects and issues in beta 5.3 and the announcement that there would not be a finished 5.3 released (they did say they may change their minds). As a previous beta tester there I can say there is no easy way to downgrade. So one would remain stuck with an unstable program. I fully agree both programs have value. In my experience Accordance has been more stable to use and far quicker to load up. I am not getting rid of either, but I will not praise either as being ideal. Nor gloss over defects of either. That said I am not going to list of a series of defects in Accordance for no reason (at times I have contributed to threads on improvements hoped for or problems I am having but at the moment off the top of my head I have no complaint with Accordance). Earlier in this thread I was merely trying to point out a few strengths of Accordance that L doesn't have. One could easily go through a list of L features that are not found in Accordance (many of which i have no need of nor desire to see in Accordance). I use both daily. I recommend Accordance to more people primarily because it has a lower entry point and offers a wide range of resources (small compared to L but containing the core of what most would want and even more than a few things not available over there).

-dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 1

@tony10000

Surely all that should be avoided if possible. Who knows whether they expected that and said "nevermind" or they overlooked it. But pc/mac main program was just as accessible as before and I wouldn't call it too much of the failure if you cannot access it on your tablet. Of course, maybe that's your only device and then your frustration is more than understandable.

@Dan Francis

And I never meant to imply that you implied that :P . I agree that it wasn't thought out really well concerning beta testers, especially when they are doing such service. On the other hand, I think I recall them telling to have a separate account if you want to beta-test.

They do both have strengths and weaknesses, but what I like is that both are always getting better and better.

Edited by rokas

One thing I appreciate about Accordance is their simple upgrade scheme. I am looking over my "L" upgrade and I feel like I am buying a new car, complete with options and a monthly payment...

Question: Data sets seem to be all the range in the world of electronic Bible study. Do you find them useful or they just an easier way to search? It seems to be if you have good search tools and tagging you shouldn't have to rely on data sets.

Hey Tony,

What is a data set in this context exactly ?

Thx

D

Accordance 11 will be one more louder than most blokes, you know, who will be playing with Accordance 10.

I can see the marketing team getting carried away with "Accordance: this one goes to eleven." :)

I can see the marketing team getting carried away with "Accordance: this one goes to eleven." :)

Thank you for being at least one person who got my reference.

• Like 1

What is a data set in this context exactly ?

In Brand "L" speak, basically it is a custom report that pulls stuff from various resources in your library. For example, if you are studying the Book of John, it would pull all of the biographical data, all of the introductions from your commentaries, all the dictionary articles, etc. Another kind of report could show you every place in the Bible where Paul is the speaker. Another one could show you all of the material on a certain event, say the wedding at Cana. I am getting the impression that Accordance 11 is going in this direction as well.

Spinal Tap. We got it!

• Like 1

In Brand "L" speak, basically it is a custom report that pulls stuff from various resources in your library. For example, if you are studying the Book of John, it would pull all of the biographical data, all of the introductions from your commentaries, all the dictionary articles, etc. Another kind of report could show you every place in the Bible where Paul is the speaker. Another one could show you all of the material on a certain event, say the wedding at Cana. I am getting the impression that Accordance 11 is going in this direction as well.

Makes sense but there is a lot of manual work to produce these. Computers cannot do it so the next best thing is to can analyses that humans can produce and provide a slightly derivative database to search which then a computer can search for us very readily. But of course, like any secondary/teriary/N-ary form of data, it bears careful use.

Thx

D

Makes sense but there is a lot of manual work to produce these. Computers cannot do it so the next best thing is to can analyses that humans can produce and provide a slightly derivative database to search which then a computer can search for us very readily. But of course, like any secondary/teriary/N-ary form of data, it bears careful use.

The question is how useful and valuable are they in Bible study? I am sure the would be welcomed by a busy pastor for sermon prep, but isn't it better to have a good set of tagged texts and a capable search engine?

I am looking forward to seeing what A11 brings to the table.

While L or V in my case since I like the catholic variant (even though I am Anglican), is like many releases buggier than belief. Thanks to a bug in Yosemitie (so they say) downloading is very slow, I get a few hundred MB and then have to restart. In the past day we have had two service releases. And today the latest release seems exceptionally sluggish to my use. I thank the hard working wise people at Accordance for waiting till 11 is ready before releasing it (yes it too will have bugs I am sure but hopefully not like this).

-Dan

@Tony:

A good question. Like you said, some people will have a use for it, others won't.

Some of it just enables more advanced searching and that's pretty generally useful. Some is much more arcane and of narrower appeal.

Thx

D

And Accordance lets you put all your personal books on your iPhone/iPad.. you cannot do that yet with them (and no time soon either, although they will sync smaller personal books to other desktop machines you own). As nice as somethings there are the speed of their mobile app compared to Accordance is night and day.

-Dan

Actually Dan, that is not quite true. You can upload to your road almost everything in your library. The only thing you miss are the sides and collections setting. But you can have almost your entire library in the ipad and works exactly like Accordance does.

Sorry guys, but I have to say I find this unfair.

Accordance just as well got many online bugs and server issues when it introduced it's new wonderful upgrade feature. Something similar might come once it's updated to Acc 11.

Had Logos 5 for one year now, and really no bugs whatsoever. On the other hand, my Accordance crashed a few times and contains some few small bugs.

HOWEVER, none of this is bad. Both companies bring just fabulous things to the table for us to enjoy. I respect both parties that they dare to bring new stuff even when it means problems, bugs, issues and everything else. No risk, no reward.

We humans are fallen and to expect perfection isn't normal nor makes one happy :)

EDIT: fixed some grammar

I totally agree with this, Totally Unfair I have been using Logos for over two years without any major issues. No software is perfect and ALL will have bugs, even Accordance. So lets not start the bashing. Please. And Tony, far from glitter, Logos is extremely useful for Bible Study. Many very happy thousand of Logos users do. In my experience those who complain about Logos have not care to learn it. Things like this bother me a lot. People, they are tools and they BOTH have the same end, HELP us study the Bible. Don't like it, don't buy it. :angry: I think you guys need to be informed before making statements that are misleading and not true.

Edited by davidmedina
  • Like 1

I am always at least one person. :)

• Like 1

Actually Dan, that is not quite true. You can upload to your road almost everything in your library. The only thing you miss are the sides and collections setting. But you can have almost your entire library in the ipad and works exactly like Accordance does.

But not personal books in the mobile apps, correct?

Edited by Scott Knapp

I agree that broken promises, flawed software, poor customer service, price-gouging, etc., etc. are all important issues. However, let's be fair. Post such complaints on the forums for the company in question, so they have an opportunity to address them. Good companies value customers' feedback. It helps them improve their products and services. I know we at Accordance appreciate it. I'm going to assume other companies feel similarly. Let's do our best to restrict comments on this forum to those relevant to Accordance.

• Like 11

I do apologize if I have been anyway unfair towards the competition. I did upgrade there and have been frustrated, I have expressed myself on their forums. In this thread I have only tried to point out ways in which Accordance is better than them. I could easily have noted how mobile Accordance has and awkward selection method compared to them. We know this is being worked on for a more natural selection. A representative from the other company flat-out said personal book sharing with mobile devices was not coming anytime soon (this for me was a disappointment because I had believed that was the point of this forthcoming feature). Sharing was just between computer installs. I could have mentioned that Accordance's user tools defect is that you cannot put pictures in them at this time. Both companies have work to do. Both products are useful. I am not getting rid of either. I realize it is wiser to not bring another company into discussions here at all, this is an Accordance forum.

-Dan

• Like 6

I do apologize if I have been anyway unfair towards the competition. I did upgrade there and have been frustrated, I have expressed myself on their forums. In this thread I have only tried to point out ways in which Accordance is better than them. I could easily have noted how mobile Accordance has and awkward selection method compared to them. We know this is being worked on for a more natural selection. A representative from the other company flat-out said personal book sharing with mobile devices was not coming anytime soon (this for me was a disappointment because I had believed that was the point of this forthcoming feature). Sharing was just between computer installs. I could have mentioned that Accordance's user tools defect is that you cannot put pictures in them at this time. Both companies have work to do. Both products are useful. I am not getting rid of either. I realize it is wiser to not bring another company into discussions here at all, this is an Accordance forum.

-Dan

It does take courage to apologize openly, props for that (even though personally I don't see much guilt in it)!

Hi, Everyone!

It's not so much what was said, as the direction this thread seemed to be headed. I thought I'd post a gentle reminder to redirect.

I also respect Dan's apology and understand there was no ill intent on anyone's part.

Peace.

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 1

David Medina, I'm not sure when you jumped on the Logos band wagon but believe me my agravations with there Mac product development is justified. Before I moved to Mac several years ago I was extremely happy and sold on Logos as the best bible software on the market. Then, I moved to Mac and tried to use there first Logos 3 for Mac version which was a total disaster and waited anxiously for the newly announced Logos 4 for Mac which promised to solve all of our problems. Well contrary to what one user stated those of us who bought into it early did in fact purchase and struggle through Alpha releases for several months before promised and still much broken Beta and RC versions came out. They moved onto Logos 5 without ever completing version 4 and regardless of what the software industry as a whole does in providing updates this is not the case with Logos 5 development. These have been ongoing developmental SR's attempting to get their product to the level of what was initially advertised to the consumer and purchased on the premise that soon you would have what the marketing hype promised. Now we have Logos 6 and an outrageous asking price to upgrade. Sorry but I'll stick to the fine work the Accordance development team does and be happy with a product that runs like a Mac app should. Plus an upgraded product with all the new bells and whistles for just $49, I can afford that much easier than $300+.

On the other side though since I have such a vast investment in Logos and frequent the communtiy pricing offers; I will continue to use Logos for research using the vast historical resources I have acquired for it. I will say that since upgrading to the latest generation Macbook Pro logos 5 does run smoother but still takes too long to get going compared to Accordance which is just fast and efficient in all it does.

Dr. J, Helen and all the rest are always available and helpful to the Accordance community. Thank you for that.

Sorry, Dr. J, I should have read down further before posting the previous reply. I'm done now and waiting patiently for the release of Accordance 11. :)

• Like 2