A new dictionary pane

davidmedina

I know that Accordance 11 is just out of the gate and we still exploring the new features... Great upgrade. Definitively brilliant... But I already have a feature suggestion/request.

Thinking in the new Info Pane (My favorite feature of Acc 11) could this idea/concept be extended to the dictionaries and lexicons? Not in the same panel, but maybe when we triple click in a word to amplify and the pane shows up, maybe it can show a link to other dictionaries and lexicon with information about the word we triple clicked on. Then when we hove over it can show a partial info in the Instant Display. When we click on the link the tool open to the right place.

That would be a great time saver and it will truly amplify the word for us.

• Like 1

David, if you right click -> Research -> Dictionaries, it will give you something very similar to what you are already asking for. But, its still a good idea nonetheless.

• Like 2

I'll check that out.

Thanks.

Joel,

Where am I "right clicking"?? to do the action: Right click research dictionaries?

Right click on one of the words in your text, like this:

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 12.35.54 PM.png

Joel,

I'm on windows 7 accordance 11

I don't see "dictionaries" as a choice so I guess I have to make a group like this since this category doesn't automatically appear in my library listings?? Is that correct?

Dictionaries will appear automatically if you have Accordance reorganize your library, either through the Setup Assistant, or in Preferences -> Appearance. However, yes, you can make any top level tool category or My Group called 'Dictionaries' (or whatever you want!) and this will work the same.

Joel, is it possible with some keyboard shortcut "to do research" on Greek/Hebrew word or at least strong number from English tagged text, ie in the English Bible right click on desired word -> research -> lexicons and get results not on that English word, but on Hebrew/Greek word behind it?

Rokas, if you hold the Option/Alt key down while doing the Research, it will use the original language word behind it. Neat, no?

• Like 1

I had forgotten this! I love it!

Rokas, if you hold the Option/Alt key down while doing the Research, it will use the original language word behind it. Neat, no?

Joel, wow, this is truly neat, I love it, no need to open an additional parallel pane and locate words there! B)

Still, I have to ask - I am on Windows 7 (Acc 11.0.1), and I have to:

1. Second click on a word

2. Hover over Research, then hover over desired category

3. Left-click on it, but not release

4. Press down Alt key

5. Release left-click of my mouse

If I press down Alt anywhere before Steps 1-3, context menu simply doesn't open (ok, it does, for a millisecond, and then closes - just a flash) - is it supposed to be like this?

EDIT: Is there maybe a way unknown to me to do the same when merely "looking up" a word and go directly to the Greek/Hebrew word instead of a Strong's number? Or does this work only in Research where doing research on key numbers doesn't make much sense?

Edited by rokas

In the Preferences you can now (v11) set which lexicon opens with a triple-click on an original word and a key-number word. This topic originally requested the ability to search more or all lexicons, as I understand it.

You can, of course, set up and save a zone or workspace with the tools you want linked with the LINK command to your main lexicons, so they all update when you amplify.

In the Preferences you can now (v11) set which lexicon opens with a triple-click on an original word and a key-number word.

This "override" feature is wonderful!

Edited by rokas

Joel, wow, this is truly neat, I love it, no need to open an additional parallel pane and locate words there! B)

Still, I have to ask - I am on Windows 7 (Acc 11.0.1), and I have to:

1. Second click on a word

2. Hover over Research, then hover over desired category

3. Left-click on it, but not release

4. Press down Alt key

5. Release left-click of my mouse

If I press down Alt anywhere before Steps 1-3, context menu simply doesn't open (ok, it does, for a millisecond, and then closes - just a flash) - is it supposed to be like this?

EDIT: Is there maybe a way unknown to me to do the same when merely "looking up" a word and go directly to the Greek/Hebrew word instead of a Strong's number? Or does this work only in Research where doing research on key numbers doesn't make much sense?

Rokas, After you open the pulldown menu and you are ready to select the tools to use for the Research, let say Dictionary, just alt/option click on it.

David,

at least for me in Windows 7, pressing Alt key down closes all context/pulldown menus (unless, as I've described, while holding mouse-click pressed down).