Great Word Study Dictionaries

Bautts

I am a new Accordance user that switched recently after 10 years of using Logos, and before that WordSearch and PC Study Bible. The only thing I really miss are the great word study dictionaries by AMG Publishers. The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates and The Complete Word Study Dictionary: Old Testament by Warren Baker and Eugene Carpenter were two of my favorite resources for word studies. They are halfway between Vine's/Renn's and a full out lexicon like BDAG/HALOT. It would be great if Accordance could offer them soon.

• Like 1

Welcome from another "switcher"! You will love Accordance!

Bob

I am a new Accordance user that switched recently after 10 years of using Logos, and before that WordSearch and PC Study Bible. The only thing I really miss are the great word study dictionaries by AMG Publishers. The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates and The Complete Word Study Dictionary: Old Testament by Warren Baker and Eugene Carpenter were two of my favorite resources for word studies. They are halfway between Vine's/Renn's and a full out lexicon like BDAG/HALOT. It would be great if Accordance could offer them soon.

+1

I already have Mounce's Expository Dictionary on OT and NT Words, and while it is good, it only covers the most significant words. The Complete Word Study Dictionary: OT and NT is much more exhaustive and covers each word with more depth. It is my go to resource right after BDAG and HALOT. Would love to see it on Accordance.

OK. Sounds like they would be useful resources to have available.

I remember a thread or two elsewhere on this forum regarding Vine and Zodhiates: these works are generally not regarded very highly by scholars and students of the Bible (read elsewhere for the details). I think Mounce has produced something similar to Vine's that has received a positive response; that might be a good place to start. I am confident that products such as Vine's and Zodhiates will never be offered for Accordance; they weren't very good to begin with, and anyway have been surpassed by superior reference works.

• 1 year later...

I am a new Accordance user that switched recently after 10 years of using Logos, and before that WordSearch and PC Study Bible.  The only thing I really miss are the great word study dictionaries by AMG Publishers.  The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates and The Complete Word Study Dictionary: Old Testament by Warren Baker and Eugene Carpenter were two of my favorite resources for word studies.  They are halfway between Vine's/Renn's and a full out lexicon like BDAG/HALOT.  It would be great if Accordance could offer them soon.

FYI: as of this week, the AMG Word Study Dictionaries are now available in Accordance. See yesterday's blog post. Crossgrades are also available if you have these titles in competing software. 

• Like 2