Still digging in to Accordance; can someone help construct the Daily Dose?

rpavich

I've been watching the Daily Dose of Greek and today's verse was 1 John 4:15.

I wanted to construct a search to find (based on some comments in the video) places where this occurs:Ιησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ

which is to say subject/nominative followed by estin and then a predicate/nominative. aka "something/someone equals something/someone."

It would seem simple but I've failed each time.

Can someone construct this and then just comment on their work a bit so I can learn by doing and watching?

Here is the video

Edited by rpavich

One, thank you for introducing the 'daily dose of Greek'; that is really cool.

Two, I don't have a syntactical database of the GNT in Accordance, yet. But, I do have some grammatically tagged ones

Three, I am no expert on construct searches, so take this with a grain of salt, but please

try this for starters (It picks up 75 hits, one of which being 1 John 4:15):

post-31817-0-70618100-1420638133_thumb.png

Edited by bkMitchell

Hey,

Your post interested me, because I was searching for predicate nominatives not long ago. So, I too am not an expert, but had fun tracking them down.

You can cast your net in a lot of different ways, but what you are essentially looking for is a word that is a [Complement] and a [NOUN nominative] (or you could replace [NOUN ...] with [ANY ...] to include other parts of speech).

So, a very broad search, might not even require a syntax construction. You could search [Complement] @ [NOUN nominative] pretty easily with the new quick entry feature in Acc11.

If you wanted a serious syntax search with your specified being verb, you might try something like you see below.

**I think its right, but maybe someone who is a pro could give me some feedback.**

post-31158-0-46586800-1420643308_thumb.png

Edited by Jordan S

Thanks for the great info to both of you...I really appreciate it.

bkMitchell:

One, thank you for introducing the 'daily dose of Greek'; that is really cool.

Two, I don't have a syntactical database of the GNT in Accordance, yet. But, I do have some grammatically tagged ones

Three, I am no expert on construct searches, so take this with a grain of salt, but please

try this for starters (It picks up 75 hits, one of which being 1 John 4:15):

I did your search and got a different amount of hits!

Hello again,

One possibility for that might be the option in the INFLECT box to use exact form. I un checked/ticked that option but by default it is checked.

Another possibility might be that the when ἐστιν is typed automatically the INFLECT box give us 3 or 4 words that are very similar but different and we might be using different words.

The last possibility, I think of, might be that we have a different number of intervening words specified in the Within boxes.

@rpavich : I did a bit of work on S-PN construction. If you have the syntax add on the notes attached below might be of use. Don't put too much stock in my observations on the text but the search stuff might be of help.

Regarding Brian's method: you will get differing hits if you do not set "Search both directions" and if the search scope is different. I can get 75 with scope set to Sentence.

@Jordan : Not a pro but what you have is one of the variants I used. I opened up the construction quite a bit in search of more complicated constructions, where the subject or PN were clauses and so on. This leads to more false positives of course and thus more weeding. I was ultimately trying to see if I could construct something that would find the examples listed in Wallace.

PredNom.pdf

Thx

D

Nice catch Daniel!

Regarding Brian's method: you will get differing hits if you do not set "Search both directions" and if the search scope is different. I can get 75 with scope set to Sentence.

Hey – To find all the places in the NT with this exact sequence of words, just enter it (without accent or breathing marks is OK) and put single or double quotes around it.

post-330-0-84913500-1420751060_thumb.jpg

As you see, I only got one more hit. Is this what you were looking for?

I, too, thank you for introducing us to the Daily Dose of Greek. Great resource.

I agree! just the kind of thing I've been looking for to stay sharp.

I could only find one more, too (1 John 5:5). But there is an almost identical one in John 20:31:

Ἰησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ χριστὸς ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Edited by Pchris

Julie:

To find all the places in the NT with this exact sequence of words, just enter it (without accent or breathing marks is OK) and put single or double quotes around it.

No. I didn't want to do that. I wanted to know how I could find the following construction:

subject/nominative followed by estin and then a predicate/nominative. aka "something/someone equals something/someone."

Why doesn't the dang quote feature work on this forum? It's driving me nuts!!

"Why doesn't the dang quote feature work on this forum? It's driving me nuts!!"

Yes! I agree with you, and I think this issue has been going on for about a week and half to maybe two weeks.

But, more importantly please continue to come back and ask interesting queries like this (or even boring questions, too)!

"Why doesn't the dang quote feature work on this forum? It's driving me nuts!!"

Yes! I agree with you, and I think this issue has been going on for about a week and half to maybe two weeks.

But, more importantly please continue to come back and ask interesting queries like this (or even boring questions, too)!

What about quoting is not working exactly ? I cannot just highlight some text in a post and hit Quote and it will just include the highlighted text but this has never worked for me. I always hit Quote and then delete from the entire quoted post that it pastes in.

Thx

D

What, browser are you using? I am using google chrome.

Firefox.

On both Windows and Mac.

thx

D

What about quoting is not working exactly ? I cannot just highlight some text in a post and hit Quote and it will just include the highlighted text but this has never worked for me. I always hit Quote and then delete from the entire quoted post that it pastes in.

Thx

D

In every other forum I surf, quote works as you describe but here when I hit the quote button, nothing happens.

In every other forum I surf, quote works as you describe but here when I hit the quote button, nothing happens.

It did that to me some a while ago, too, but now it's working fine. Hmmm. Safari 7.1.2 on Mac OS X.9.5 Mavericks.

It did that to me some a while ago, too, but now it's working fine. Hmmm. Safari 7.1.2 on Mac OS X.9.5 Mavericks.

Safari on Yosemite.

I don't use either Safari or Yosemite I'm afraid. I don't know if the quote button is running Javascript but it probably is. It could be a configuration issue - like disabled JS or something though the fact it works in other fora would tend to militate against this. You could quickly try FF and see if that helps but I would expect that someone here has a Yosemite/Safari setup and could comment further.

Thx
D

We've been dealing with a couple of lingering forums issues, but I believe they are all cleared up now. Sorry about the hassles!

We've been dealing with a couple of lingering forums issues, but I believe they are all cleared up now. Sorry about the hassles!

Oh yes they are! :)

Thank you! :)