Acc won't install in XP

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

I decided to reload Windows XP on my Dell Desktop. My thought was now that I have Accordance, I could run a lightning fast Bible program alongside some older, costly programs. So yesterday I reformatted my hard drive, loaded (almost) every program, and saved Acc for last.

But, I'm having all kinds of trouble installing Acc 11 on Windows XP.

I started Setup at about 5:30 am, and used Easy Install to download the Essentials Collection with Hebrew and Greek Syntax Modules, and about four and a half hours later 2.22 GB of data was resting in c:\Documents and Settings\Michel\Local Settings\Temp\Accordance Downloads.

After this, I double-clicked the Acc icon, but it wouldn't open. So I restarted, and tried again. It still wouldn't open. Then, much to my dismay, I looked in the Accordance Downloads Folder and it was empty.

Then I uninstalled Acc 11 from the Control Panel. In case this helps, before it uninstalled I got the message, "The procedure entry point RegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll." I also deleted all Oaktree and Accordance Registry entries.

I reinstalled, double-clicked the program icon, and I can only see the Check for updates automatically? screen for about a second, then nothing happens. I can confirm in Task Manager that Accordance isn't running.

There was snow this morning, and now there is a strong wind storm . So it took a lot longer to download than usual. Besides helping me get Acc running, would it be possible to avoid the long download again, and copy my modules from my Windows 8 laptop to where they should be in XP?

Thanks,

Michel

Hi again,

I've tried everything I know of. I booted in Safe Mode and made a new Administrator Account with password, and installed Acc 11 as Administrator. I got to the end of the Setup Assistant, past validate online and choosing my preferences.When I pressed Continue I got the message, Where is the Highlights file "My Highlights.hit"?, which it was looking for in Accordance Files\Highlights - User Notes - User Tools. I searched the whole disk and the file was not on it.

Now, nothing happens when I double click the program icon.

I disabled my anti-virus and tried the same things, all to no avail.

The product page says Acc 11 requires XP or above. I have XP Professional with Service Pack 3, and all the (hours and hours of) latest updates.

I spent a lot of time and thought on this new XP set up (and workflow in general), with Accordance as the gem and cornerstone. I was going to write my notes in Acc, on this desktop and my iPad, and my books with those notes in Word and Adobe Creative Suite. I was also going to check Acc search results with Gramcord and Bar Ilan's Bible programs before I checked them manually. So, I need to get Acc on this XP machine. Please help!

Regards,

Michel

Hi again,

I've made some progress. I uninstalled SP3 and then installed Acc 10.4.5. It opened with what appears to be all of my modules. It even checked for updates, found some, and installed them.

But of course I would like Acc 11. So I tried installing it, but I had the same problems as before. So the problems seem to be limited to Acc 11.

It is amazing how fast Acc 10 is in this older device. I do hope I can get 11 in it.

Regards,

Michel

Sounds a little bit like the Linux problems, there is also only an older version that works with the compiler.

I have also an old XP at home but I don't have installed Accordance. Maybe I do it if Acc 11 is working there.

Edited by Fabian

I found the problem on XP. You are right. Acc 11 just quits after initial startup of the main app. This problem is different than the Linux problem which I found as well.

Both are going to be fixed in the next build. Thank you for reporting.

• Like 1

Really strange. There are many users here on XP, does it quit for all of them?

• 3 weeks later...

I found the problem on XP. You are right. Acc 11 just quits after initial startup of the main app . . . to be fixed in the next build.

Hi Orly,

I was able to install and run 11.0.4 on XP.

There is one small problem: in Setup Assistant > English Dictionary, I can't choose a default Dictionary; when I press the arrow for the menu, it does crazy things, going up and down and disappearing. This menu does the same thing in Edit > Preferences > Amplify > English. Every other menu in the Setup Assistant works.

Thanks for the fix.

I have also an old XP at home but I don't have installed Accordance. Maybe I do it if Acc 11 is working there.

Hi Fabian,

It works now. I can't think of a better use for an old XP machine. :)

Regards to both,

Michel

• Like 1

Hi Michel

Thanks, I'll fire up my XP tomorrow.

To Helen

Yes, I have changed to Mac for Accordance, but I haven't bought* a new license for Windows to "parallel" or "boot-camp" it on a Mac. And there is some software that didn't work on Mac. (*All the rest of money I put it in Accordance)

Greetings

Fabian