Comparing Translations Using Contents command

circuitrider

I am trying to setup a search argument to find what verses the KJV has that the NIV does not.

After using the " * " in both a KJV tab and a NIV tab for verses, I open another KJV tab and enter the search argument [CONTENTS KJV with Strong’s] <NOT> [CONTENTS NIV (1984)].

I get an error that "There are no verses in the current range of the KJV with Strong's text, which fit the current search entry"

Anybody have any idea why this search argument won't work?

Thanks

I solved the problem.

I had the context sliders set to "all." When I set it back to "0" the results came through.

That's interesting, since I'd like to try to do that with some foreign language Bible modules. However, it didn't work for me. I think I did what you said you did (except I used the 2011 NIV w/Enhanced G/K numbers). The KJV has 31218 hits. post-3736-0-02432000-1421125562_thumb.pngThe NIV2011 had 31202 hits (see screenshots).post-3736-0-97579800-1421125571_thumb.png Then I opened the 2nd KJV tab and put in what I think is the same command you did (except with Bible module name change).post-3736-0-41181400-1421125587_thumb.png I got an error message that "A book name must be entered at the selection point."post-3736-0-44340100-1421125595_thumb.png Anybody know what I'm doing incorrectly?

Edited by EricC

Hello Eric!

In the second KJV tab you need to change the "Verse" token to "Words." The first and second tabs will need to be set to "Verses" though, just as you have them.

In the second KJV tab you need to change the "Verse" token to "Words." The first and second tabs will need to be set to "Verses" though, just as you have them.

Thanks, cirtuitrider.

Unfortunately, after changing it to "Words", now I get another error: "The command NIV is misspelled or it is not a legal function."

post-3736-0-17216200-1421128303_thumb.pngpost-3736-0-57391700-1421128396_thumb.png

Hey Eric, insert a CONTENTS command : .... <NOT> [CONTENTS NIV ....]

@circuitrider : I really don't see why the context slider should have this effect. I wonder if this is a bug.

Thx

D

Daniel,

Ahhh! Indeed! :)

Hello Daniel

I put this in CONTENTS command: KJV with Strong’s <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder-Lemmas (German)] but that doesn't work. With verse search and with Word search. Where I make the mistake?

Greetings

Fabian

Is 3 John 14 missing from the "NIV (2011) with Enhanced G/K Numbers"? I can find it in "NIV (1984)". Please see attached screenshot.post-3736-0-71577800-1421140217_thumb.png

Is 3 John 14 missing from the "NIV (2011) with Enhanced G/K Numbers"? I can find it in "NIV (1984)". Please see attached screenshot.http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif3John14_KJV,NIV84,NIV GKE.png

Unfortunately you have cut off the search field.

Is 3 John 14 missing from the "NIV (2011) with Enhanced G/K Numbers"? I can find it in "NIV (1984)". Please see attached screenshot.http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif3John14_KJV,NIV84,NIV GKE.png

You're right! But, why? If I open a new workspace with it, the verse is there. It's not there, however, when I do the search we're talking about in this thread. And it's not there when I have a KJV tab open and add an NIV 2011 GKE parallel. Is this a bug? Seems to me as if this could be very surprising (in a bad way) – you think something's not there, but it really is.

Hi Fabian,

This : KJV with Strong’s <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder-Lemmas (German)]

should be : [CONTENTS KJV with Strong’s] <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder-Lemmas (German)]

I think, to match the original query.

I do not know if this will work for bibles in different languages or not though.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hello Daniel and Helen

Thanx, this was my first run, prepared the Bible with a * search and run [CONTENTS KJV with Strong’s] <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder-Lemmas (German)]

and while it don't work I tested what you wrote with the CONTENTS command:

By me goes the conextslider automatic to "all" and if I set it on "0" nothing happens.

O.K. even with 2 english Bibles comes a pop-up window.

MMh

@circuitrider : I really don't see why the context slider should have this effect. I wonder if this is a bug.

Thx

D

I was also wondering about that, also.

CONTENTS brings over all of the verses being displayed in your search. So, naturally, if your context is set to all, it will bring over all of the verses! This can sometimes be a bit unintuitive if you have your search set to Auto Context, so you don't realize that the slider is actually set to all.

• Like 1

Ah ok - so it really is contents of the pane not contents of the search result. Thanx for clarifying that.

Thx

D

For me there is a bug or so.

If I do a word-search in the 1.Bible and a word-search in the 2. and then I compare it with the [CONTENTS] command in the 3.: It works fine.

But If I will see the difference of two whole Bibles, it comes a pop-up.

e.g. I know that the Schlachter2K has more verses than the Elberfelder, but if I will compare [CONTENTS Schlachter 2000 (German)] <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder-Lemmas (German) ] or the other way, then only comes a pop-up.

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Ok I happen to have the 1951 Schlachter and the 1905 Elberfelder so I did this example and I got Schlachter having 73 verses more than Elberfelder. See the image below.

post-32023-0-95399100-1421201742_thumb.jpg

Does that help ?

The image is fuzzy. The context slider is set to 0 in all tabs. The three tabs left to right are Schlachter, Elberfelder, Schlachter. The search in the right hand tab is :

[CONTENTS Schlachter 1951 (German)] <NOT> [CONTENTS Elberfelder 1905 (German)]

All searches are done as word searches in my image but in fact could be done as verse and it it's faster when you do it that way.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1