Photo

Would you let your students use Accordance for biblical language finals?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,325 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

Accordance is "a game changer for biblical language finals," says Roger Nam in "Another Look at Final Exams," a recent blog post from Stories from the Front (of the classroom).

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#2 John Fidel

John Fidel

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

I am not a college professor, but a CPA. In my profession there are things you need to know (memorize etc.) and things you need to know how to look up and get the correct answer. I imagine it is the same with Seminary and Bible Colleges. Depends on the class and the objective. Education should train for real world experience, and bible software is an integral part of that for most in ministry.

I think they should teach research using bible software as a core requirement or implemented into core classes for the things you need to know how to look up and get a correct answer.

Apologies in advance if my background diminishes my opinion.

• Timothy Jenney, Andrew Mercer, bkMitchell and 1 other like this

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

John, I think that is a very apt analogy.

Most pastors today see teaching and preaching as a very small part of their job, something they do only a few hours in a week that is filled with many hours of administration, visitation, counseling, business, meetings (of all kinds), etc. Most seminaries keep this mind as well, however much those of us who specialize in Biblical Studies wish it were otherwise. Simply put, today's pastors have little time in seminary to acquire a biblical language and even less time in the pastorate to maintain it. Good resources, including Bible software, can help bridge the gap.

While I recognize the current reality I describe above, I personally long for a a return to an emphasis on the pastor as expert Bible teacher/preacher. Many of the things taught from pulpits today have no biblical basis.

Bible software can also be a great asset to the expert, mind you, but s/he will use it in an entirely different way.

• Lester P. Bagley, Kevin Soars, Tony Pyles and 4 others like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#4 Pchris

Pchris

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Having stated my opinion about this a few times now, it is probably unsurprising that I'd say "no" without a doubt when it comes to teaching students that haven't mastered the languages yet. As such, I didn't want to make a post here until I saw Dr. J's comments: I strongly agree with his point that Accordance could help pastors getting into the original languages again and use them in their work.

As with the scenario Dr. J mentioned, it is often the case where I live as well, with the only difference that students are pretty much forced to work with both Greek and Hebrew for several years if they wish to become pastors. Other than that, it is the same phenomenon: They have a tremendous workload with a lot of it being legal paper work and administration etc., so they're almost always running short of time, giving Greek and Hebrew low priority with good reason. I do know of a few stubborn individuals that still take the time to look at a few lines of Greek every now and then, but that is it. Having spent so much time learning these languages only to "lose" them is a pity, so I see no problem with using Accordance in that regard.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

• Kevin Soars and bkMitchell like this

Accordance Version: 11.0.4 

Hardware: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (medio 2012)
Operating System: OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks.

#5 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, & technology
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

I will never regret the time I spent in college and seminary learning Greek. In fact, with Accordance's help I am still able (14 years later) to do a rough translation of the Greek, when I am preaching from the NT. I find it valuable to those sermons.

I did take Hebrew in seminary, but was never able to work on keeping it up, so I cannot even read it now. Accordance is a gargantuan help as I am able to dig into the Hebrew using Strong's & G-K numbers.

It would have been nice if my seminary had ensured that I was taught how to work with a Bible software program (my seminary Greek prof showed us Accordance in class one day). Fortunately, Dr. J's podcasts have helped fill that gap showing me how to efficiently get the most out of the limited study time that I have.

• Kevin Soars, Unix and Pchris like this

In Christ,

Tim Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users