How to find the difference in key word decisions in different translations

rpavich

I was watching the workspace video and discovered linking of one text to another...(very cool) and so I did a search on [KEY H3050]@Lord in the KJV and got one more hit in the ESV.

I did an analysis but that didn't tell me where the one place was that differed.

I tried to figure out how to use the CONTENTS command and just didn't get it.

Is there a way (after doing that search) to pinpoint the location where these two texts differ in the translation of H3050?

EDITED TO ADD: It appears that it's because of the KJV using the word JAH in Psalm 68:4

This brings me to an add-on question: How to find that missing hit in an easier way that the brute force way that I did, and why the concordance in the ESV just shows "common word" and not a verse list like the KJV does? I have the display of the concordance set exactly the same on both.

post-33196-0-76320100-1421587150_thumb.jpg

Edited by rpavich

On the Concordance, you must have the threshold set differently for the references only.

To find differences between searches of two versions you need 3 tabs, for example:

KJV with the search

ESV with the search but more hits

third tab (ESV 2) searches ESV with this query:

[CONTENTS ESV] [CONTENTS KJV]

The [CONTENTS ?] search compares the verses found in the tabs specified.

On the Concordance, you must have the threshold set differently for the references only.

To find differences between searches of two versions you need 3 tabs, for example:

KJV with the search

ESV with the search but more hits

third tab (ESV 2) searches ESV with this query:

[CONTENTS ESV] <NOT> [CONTENTS KJV]

The [CONTENTS ?] search compares the verses found in the tabs specified.

Excellent!

Now...do you know why the ESV concordance just says "common word" even if the checkboxes are the same as the KJV concordance and it shows the verse list?

Just wondering if I have something set wrong.

As I said above: On the Concordance, you must have the threshold set differently for the references only.

As I said above: On the Concordance, you must have the threshold set differently for the references only.

I can't see where; they look identical.

KJV on top, ESV on bottom.

post-33196-0-66554400-1421608834_thumb.jpg

There seems to be something peculiar to the word Lord. If you remove the key portion of the search, just searching for lord you still see the (common word) bit but also JAH. If you try a search for God you see the same sort of thing - there is a common word subsection in the concordance. If you search for strength though you do not see this. I haven't used the concordance feature enough to comment on what that means though.

That said I don't see that you need concordance to answer your initial question. Do the searches that Helen shows above, then in the ESVS tab (the second tab) open the KJVS in parallel and look at verse Psa 68:4 and the difference is clearly visible. There are probably other ways like using text compare as well.

thx

D

There seems to be something peculiar to the word Lord. If you remove the key portion of the search, just searching for lord you still see the (common word) bit but also JAH. If you try a search for God you see the same sort of thing - there is a common word subsection in the concordance. If you search for strength though you do not see this. I haven't used the concordance feature enough to comment on what that means though.

That said I don't see that you need concordance to answer your initial question. Do the searches that Helen shows above, then in the ESVS tab (the second tab) open the KJVS in parallel and look at verse Psa 68:4 and the difference is clearly visible. There are probably other ways like using text compare as well.

thx

D

Yes, I realized that but I like to poke around to get familiar with Accordance; hence the Concordance button pushing :)

Ok...more weirdness.

I found out that my settings in the concordance weren't exactly the same.

The KJV was set as:

Text Excerpts: 5,000

References only: 10,000

But the ESV was set as:

Text Excerpts: 5,000

References only: 10,000

When I set them the same, the 49 verse references come up but I can't for the life of me get verse references.

Edited by rpavich

I cannot find an explanation for the term "(common word)" in the documentation but I believe it is used where a word occurs more frequently than the References only value that you have. It turns out that "Lord" occurs 7584 times in the KJVS. So setting my References only count to 10000 (which is the maximum value) I can get a list of references for it and "(common word)" does not appear.

If one wants to get a concordance for a very common word like "and" you cannot get the references because you cannot set the Reference only value high enough. That seems a limitation that might be nice to remove.

None of this helps me sort out what you've got going on above. With the above I can get the references in the concordance.

Your images of 18th 11:20am show that the ref threshold was too low at 1000 for the ESVS but high enough 10000 for KJVS. Your latest number show that they are all at 10000 which should be enough.

Thx

D

rpavich:

Daniel is correct. The thresholds in Set Concordance display apply to the total count of that word in the entire text. You did have a discrepancy between the ESV threshold of 1,00 and the KJV of 10,000 which is necessary to display a concordance of Lord.

The limit of 10,00 only prevents you from concording these words (in the KJV):

the = 62172
and = 38828
of = 34559
to = 13403
And = 12832
that = 12567
in = 12335

I don't think that this is a significant issue.

You say

When I set them the same, the 49 verse references come up but I can't for the life of me get verse references.

I suppose you mean you cannot get the verse excerpts at all, but you can it you set that limit to 10,000.

It does seem a little counterintutive to have to set such a high limit to display a few dozen results, but please remember, the Concordance was designed to build a concordance of the words in a text. It is not designed to help you analyse your results.

rpavich:

You say

I suppose you mean you cannot get the verse excerpts at all, but you can it you set that limit to 10,000.

It does seem a little counterintutive to have to set such a high limit to display a few dozen results, but please remember, the Concordance was designed to build a concordance of the words in a text. It is not designed to help you analyse your results.

I think that mainly this is the crux of it; that I was misunderstanding the function of the concordance as it is.

Thanks for the help everyone.