Question about strange results for search of "πατήρ"

rpavich

I was following along with the advanced greek lesson taught by Dr. J and did the search that occurs at 35:00 of the video.

It's the search for πατήρ plural.

It occurs 53 times in the NT; so far so good but in addition to the Analysis display he showed, I hit the concordance button and got a report showing hits starting at Matthew 2:22.

The text itself shows hits starting at Matthew 23:30 as does Dr. J's.

Can someone explain?

post-33196-0-66295700-1421608278_thumb.jpg

Hi ya

You need to limit the concordance to the search results alone not entire text.

Thx

D

Hi ya

You need to limit the concordance to the search results alone not entire text.

Thx

D

it is.

post-33196-0-32278900-1421615968_thumb.jpg

Edited by rpavich

I don’t think that’s right Daniel. Limiting the search range in the concordance display doesn’t actually change the results in the concordance display.

Clearly there are more than 53 results in the concordance display area (there are actually 280 entries). The concordance display doesn’t change if you search for πατήρ or πατηρ@[NOUN plural]. As the head entry of the concordance shows it is only returning the results for πατηρ.

Whether or not this is the designed behaviour I am not sure, but it makes some sense except that the result number is incorrect. (53). Either (IMHO) the results list should be different (to reflect the constrained result) or the result number should be different (to show that more than the constrained search is being displayed.)

I dont think thats right Daniel. Limiting the search range in the concordance display doesnt actually change the results in the concordance display.

Clearly there are more than 53 results in the concordance display area (there are actually 280 entries). The concordance display doesnt change if you search for πατήρ or πατηρ@[NOUN plural]. As the head entry of the concordance shows it is only returning the results for πατηρ.

Whether or not this is the designed behaviour I am not sure, but it makes some sense except that the result number is incorrect. (53). Either (IMHO) the results list should be different (to reflect the constrained result) or the result number should be different (to show that more than the constrained search is being displayed.)

I just realized that the concordance is ignoring the "NOUN Plural" Part of the search

Not sure if that's by design or not. And now i just realized that that's exactly what you just said above :)

Edited by rpavich

The Concordance finds the hit words and displays them in either the entire text or the search range. It does NOT limit itself to the hit results so it ignores any grammatical criteria or other criteria. It's intended for building a concordance for a set of words.

You can use the search tab to display your results.

The Concordance finds the hit words and displays them in either the entire text or the search range. It does NOT limit itself to the hit results so it ignores any grammatical criteria or other criteria. It's intended for building a concordance for a set of words.

You can use the search tab to display your results.

Helen,

just so I understand what you are saying;

I search Isaiah for Lord@[KEY H3050]

The concordance finds "lord" in either Isaiah or the whole bible text and ignores the key part of it?

@rpavich, @ Ken, Apologies clearly I was wrong on this. I didn't even fully consider all the symptoms. Sorry. I had assumed that the concordance feature was designed to be constrained by the search.

@Helen, Many thanx for the clarification. It's a little unfortunate that Concordance is placed in the same analysis submenu (Word Count Totals) as Pie Chart, Bar Chart and Analysis options which do respect the full constraints of the search, as it at least to me, tends to suggest that the paradigm there will be the same.

Thx

D

...which do respect the full constraints of the search, as it at least to me, tends to suggest that the paradigm there will be the same.

Thx

D

And thus we have this thread :)

This is what I had assumed also.