QUMENG non biblical texts--Did I miss something?

Gedalya

I just purchased the QUMENG.

After searching in Amazon.com for this volume, Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation and looking inside the volume on Amazon,I expected to see (as in the DSS Bible on Accordance which includes a Notes and Commentary module which I have) introductions,commentaries,bibliography to each of the texts included in this module as they appear in the print text but cannot find any. Did I miss something?

If introductions,commentaries and bibliography are not included, then I think that I made a big mistake purchasing this module because I don't understand what texts are included and what they refer to.

For eg, what is CD 1:1 or 1QS 5:17? What is their significance? I have no idea.

This is a good question and I don't recall it being asked before. We originally provided the QUMENG text as a translation of the QUMRAN text, but yes it is licensed from the book publishers. We can look into getting the rest of the material and offering it as parallel notes.

For now, the DSS Index does provide bibliography and other information on each of the scrolls.

• Like 1

The CD is the Cairo Damascus Document and it was found in Cairo in 1896 (The reason it also is called "Damascus" is because the city mentioned a few times in the text). It is very similar to the so-called "Community Rule", which happens to be 1QS. The CD document was the only known "sectarian document" prior to the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947. This sect is sometimes believed to be the Essenes, but this is still highly debated to this day. When the DSS were discovered, fragments resembling CD were found in cave 4 (fragments 4Q266-4Q273), and while they are very few, they match the CD quite nicely. This is noted throughout the translations in the QUMENG.

..But I couldn't find any exhaustive commentary in the module that covers this properly either, nor in the Help Module, so you'll have to make do with my meager explanation for the time being.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

*EDIT*

Ah, I just saw that Helen beat me to it.

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

Helen,

Yes, I need rest of the material so I can understand what I am reading in this module.

I do not have the DSS index.

In the meantime, can someone provide me with a list of the various texts in this module so I will know what I am reading ?

Edited by Gordon