How Can One Search Hebrew Word & Get Versions in Parallel?

Enoch

I was studying the most interesting crimson worm mentioned in Ps 22, the תולעת

Beside my Hebrew I had 5 different Spanish versions in parallel columns. I wanted to look at the Hebrew occurrences in concordance style & see how 5 different Spanish versions translated this worm in parallel. But when I searched, the results came up in a new window without the Spanish parallels.

It is tedious every time I do such a search, to have to activate all the Spanish versions one by one in Add Parallel (I could not find any way to activate them all by say using command in combination with each & clicking the group). I tried putting all the Spanish translations into one library folder, but found that the Atom Bomb function did not work in the "Add Parallel" box. (In the pure library, if you click on a folder with 100 items, they all explode in Atom Bomb, requiring to force quit Accordance.) And I could not find a way to marry the 5 versions in parallel with the new search results for the worm.

Is there no way to do this without searching first in Hebrew & then one by one adding the parallel versions?

Thanks

Enoch, you can certainly set up a workspace for this kind of search. If you are doing it often, it is probably worth it.

I am using the right-click menu to search for a word. I have five Spanish versions in parallel. All five versions appear in the new tab, along with the search in Hebrew. I don't know why your setup isn't working this way (someone else on the forum may), but I do want you to know it is possible.

Hi Enoch and Tim.

I think the key piece of information may be "when I searched, the results came up in a new window”. Not a new tab. So, Enoch, exactly how are you performing the search please?

• Like 1

I have 6 panes going in parallel, 1 Hebrew & 5 spanish. I highlight a Hebrew word & right click choosing to search for inflected form. The search happens & the results appear in a new Hebrew only window with no Spanish along side. I found I had to open a hebrew only window, click to search for inflected form; after the results appeared. then I could all 5 Spanish versions in parallel, one at a time.

Hi Enoch,

I cannot repro. the behaviour you are seeing. I built a Heb plus various parallels (up to 6). If I right click on a Hebrew word and Search for Inflected I get a new tab in the same workspace duplicating all parallel panes from the original tab. This is basically how it's documented to work : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX11/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/amplify_basics.htm. I checked around for preferences that could cause this but I couldn't find any that produced the effect of opening a new workspace. I wondered if you had hit the default maximum panes per workspace limit that you set but I cannot get that to cause this either. The one preference that seems like it might be related "Amplify -> Confine amplify to the same workspace" does not seem to have an effect either way.

Thx

D

Enoch, try checking Preferences>Amplify>Other> Confine amplify to the same workspace.

That should keep everything together. At the very least, your search will open a new tab, rather than a new window. That additional tab should have all the texts you have in your current tab.

If that does not work, try duplicating your search tab with all its texts(Right-click in the Tab title.). New searches in the old tabought to go automatically to this new tab (unless you prevent it from recycling).

Let us know if this helps!

BTW, have you every considered attending one of our free, all day seminars? You have so many questions, I think you'd benefit greatly from one.

I think I have attended at least 3 seminars at DTS. I used to go and take advantage of the extra discount one used to get at the seminars. What I think is that it boils down to the fact that Accordance is really hard to use if you don't take a month off from "everything else" and study it. It really requires the equivalent of at least a 3 semester hour college course. (& I think that Logos is worse). Perhaps the route to go is to master Accordance & then never "upgrade." But that won't be possible since obsolescence is part of the computer game.

Edited by Enoch