Can Accordance do 21:9 aspect ratio?

Enoch

Can Accordance do 21:9 aspect ratio?

I am thinking that this new, wider ratio will enhance parallel text presentation on large screen monitors (TV sets).

It looks like after getting "everyone" to change to 16:9, the industry is now going to get "everyone" to buy a new TV set in 21:9. Maybe the MacBook will come out that way making the new MacBooks rather wide.

"21:9 (2.33:1) is the approximated screen aspect ratio of the true value 64:27 (2.370:1) in comparison to the common ratio of 16:9 (1.77:1). It is designed to show films recorded in CinemaScope or the modern anamorphic format of 2.39:1. The main benefit of this screen ratio is the absence of the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when viewing content in this format, and a constant display height when displaying other content with a lesser aspect ratio." -- Wikipedia

Considering the Accordance window is flexible, I assume it will work with any screen's aspect ratio.

The ultra-wide monitors appeal to me because I believe they would be ideal for putting Accordance and a word processing app side by side. I use BetterSnapTool (in the Mac App Store) to do this already, but I imagine an ultra-wide would facilitate this layout better.

A key in buying any ultra-wide monitor is making certain that your computer will support its native resolution.

One (or two) of the new curved monitors would be magnificent for this sort of layout!

One (or two) of the new curved monitors would be magnificent for this sort of layout!

Timothy, can you tell me why you would want a curved monitor? I can see it for an audience in a room of people sitting side by side, but for one person in front of a monitor?

As to the ultra wide monitors, I am having 2nd thoughts. The wider the aspect, the smaller the viewing area for a given hypotenuse. Monitor screens are sold in size by hypotenuse. Thus a 30 inch monitor in 21:9 has considerably less viewing area that a 30 inch in 16:9. Actually the closer the screen is to a square, the more area corresponding to the same diagonal hypotenuse. And a wide monitor occupies more desk top than does a less-wide monitor. So the gain in width is a loss in height of text. Some Accordance resources come out as a lower window under the others.

So I take it that Accordance will have no problem with 21:9 -- the user won't find black bars on the sides.

Edited by Enoch

Timothy, can you tell me why you would want a curved monitor? I can see it for an audience in a room of people sitting side by side, but for one person in front of a monitor?

See, I am of the opposite, although admittedly untested, opinion. It seems to me that screen with a slight curve would be ideal for one person centered directly in front of it, but a curved screen for a large group is not going to be as effective--unless the screen is extremely large. 

See, I am of the opposite, although admittedly untested, opinion. It seems to me that screen with a slight curve would be ideal for one person centered directly in front of it, but a curved screen for a large group is not going to be as effective--unless the screen is extremely large.

Perhaps you can explain to me your reasoning. I would think that with a curved monitor would present the side of the image curved away from the viewer. Now I could picture a concave screen for a person sitting close to the monitor on a desk, especially if it were 21:9. The curved screens are convex aren't they?

Every curved screen I've seen at Best Buy is concave.

Actually, I'd think a concave monitor would be ideal for a single person, especially one like me who sits very near the monitor.

I had no idea that the curved monitor was concave.  So indeed have learned something now.  The only curved screen I ever recall seeing was when I was a lad & the screen was convex.  Someone must object to others seeing what they are watching!  That's what I get for doing my shopping online.  I haven't been in a Best Buy or the like for a long time.  I guess I should visit Fry's.  -- which reminds me, I hate to see Radio Shack end, as I don't know where else I would pick up a resister or capacitor (etc.)  -- except online.  But perhaps the day of soldering components in Heath Kits is long gone.

I can see people fighting over who gets to sit in the center with this curve. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1