#1 Jackie

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

The catholic missal would be helpful accordance text for me. Some examples are The Roman Catholic Missal, St. Joseph's Sunday and Weekday Missal and St. Paul Sunday and Weekday Missal.

#2 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

1+

This has been suggested previously. I suggest the module be based on the 3rd typical edition of the Roman Missal (such as one published by the USCCB with ISBN 978-1-60137-100-3).

The Liturgy of the Hours would also be useful, but it is currently under revision, so waiting on that work would be prudent.

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#3 Jackie

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:09 AM

An alternative to the one of the missals would be Lectionary for Mass for Use in the Dioceses of the United States, second typical edition, Copyright © 2001. This would be very helpful to me.

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 AM

We've been working to acquire more Catholic resources for use in Accordance. We've had some success and you should see the results of it this next year.

However, there is an issue with resources used in the liturgy. The Catholic church has not [yet?] approved the use of digital resources for liturgical use. Consequently, we have been unable to license them for Accordance. If you take a look at Amazon's Kindle library, you'll notice that none of these resources appear there, either. Sorry. This one is out of our hands.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.4

#5 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,953 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 AM

I take it you have checked the modules in our current Catholic Studies add-on bundle.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#6 Jackie

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

I have and use the Catholic Studies bundle and use the link in the Catholic Study Bible as per your previous recommendation Helen so thank you.

Jeremy,I have used Accordance for many years and like the product. I have been asking for products that I think would enrich my faith. I do not want to be a nuisance. 

Here is what I believe is the comparable package advertised in Logos:

The Third Roman Missal interlinked with  the other resources in the library.

These resources include commentaries as well as reflections based on the liturgical year.

In addition, they have a tool called the Catholic Topical Index that lets you explore a particular topic of Catholic teaching by linking the Catechism, Scripture, and writings from Catholic Tradition.

Thanks

#7 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 AM

We've been working to acquire more Catholic resources for use in Accordance. We've had some success and you should see the results of it this next year.

However, there is an issue with resources used in the liturgy. The Catholic church has not [yet?] approved the use of digital resources for liturgical use. Consequently, we have been unable to license them for Accordance. If you take a look at Amazon's Kindle library, you'll notice that none of these resources appear there, either. Sorry. This one is out of our hands.

I look forward to seeing what you have developed.

What is allowed in the celebration of liturgy is different that what exists in electronic form. For the foreseeable future, well crafted and beautiful books will be used for rituals, not tablets or smart phones.

Yet e-texts do exist. Check out iBreviary and similar apps for iOS and other phones/tablets. They have many of the propers and ordinaries for Mass, Liturgy of the Hours and other rituals. As Jackie notes, a competitor is selling the current Missal (likely the US version, though I am not sure) along with the 1962 edition.

iBreviary (and others) contain portions of the Lectionary, so e-text exits for it. In the US, it largely follows the New American Bible (not the revised edition). The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine owns the copyright to the NAB, NABRE, and the Lectionary. In other countries, lectionaries are based on other translations, so a module is somewhat tricky given the international character of the Accordance user base. A compromise would be a lectionary (3 year Sunday cycles, two weekday cycles, special days) simply giving the readings (the book references), allowing the user to display their translation of choice in parallel. It would not replicate the text in the ritual books, but it would be close enough for many. My own homily preparation does not start with the printed lectionary text but with the GNT. Thinking of the recent clamor for recent English (and other language) translations, I wonder if there is sufficient demand for lectionary translations.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta, Yesterday, 09:57 AM.

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#8 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Michael,

Thank you for these suggestions. We've secured some nice commentaries, but not yet the Missal. We do already have the Catholic Study Bible and the Catechism.

I like your suggestion for a lectionary tool with links. We already have the NAB and NABRE, so links to those texts would be easy. Hmm...

• Dan Francis likes this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.4

#9 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM

We've secured some nice commentaries