Catholic Missal

Jackie

The catholic missal would be helpful accordance text for me. Some examples are The Roman Catholic Missal, St. Joseph's Sunday and Weekday Missal and St. Paul Sunday and Weekday Missal.

1+

This has been suggested previously. I suggest the module be based on the 3rd typical edition of the Roman Missal (such as one published by the USCCB with ISBN 978-1-60137-100-3).

The Liturgy of the Hours would also be useful, but it is currently under revision, so waiting on that work would be prudent.

• 5 months later...

An alternative to the one of the missals would be Lectionary for Mass for Use in the Dioceses of the United States, second typical edition, Copyright © 2001. This would be very helpful to me.

We've been working to acquire more Catholic resources for use in Accordance. We've had some success and you should see the results of it this next year.

However, there is an issue with resources used in the liturgy. The Catholic church has not [yet?] approved the use of digital resources for liturgical use. Consequently, we have been unable to license them for Accordance. If you take a look at Amazon's Kindle library, you'll notice that none of these resources appear there, either. Sorry. This one is out of our hands.

I have and use the Catholic Studies bundle and use the link in the Catholic Study Bible as per your previous recommendation Helen so thank you.

Jeremy,I have used Accordance for many years and like the product. I have been asking for products that I think would enrich my faith. I do not want to be a nuisance. 

Here is what I believe is the comparable package advertised in Logos:

The Third Roman Missal interlinked with  the other resources in the library.

These resources include commentaries as well as reflections based on the liturgical year.

In addition, they have a tool called the Catholic Topical Index that lets you explore a particular topic of Catholic teaching by linking the Catechism, Scripture, and writings from Catholic Tradition.

Thanks

We've been working to acquire more Catholic resources for use in Accordance. We've had some success and you should see the results of it this next year.

However, there is an issue with resources used in the liturgy. The Catholic church has not [yet?] approved the use of digital resources for liturgical use. Consequently, we have been unable to license them for Accordance. If you take a look at Amazon's Kindle library, you'll notice that none of these resources appear there, either. Sorry. This one is out of our hands.

I look forward to seeing what you have developed.

What is allowed in the celebration of liturgy is different that what exists in electronic form. For the foreseeable future, well crafted and beautiful books will be used for rituals, not tablets or smart phones.

Yet e-texts do exist. Check out iBreviary and similar apps for iOS and other phones/tablets. They have many of the propers and ordinaries for Mass, Liturgy of the Hours and other rituals. As Jackie notes, a competitor is selling the current Missal (likely the US version, though I am not sure) along with the 1962 edition.

iBreviary (and others) contain portions of the Lectionary, so e-text exits for it. In the US, it largely follows the New American Bible (not the revised edition). The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine owns the copyright to the NAB, NABRE, and the Lectionary. In other countries, lectionaries are based on other translations, so a module is somewhat tricky given the international character of the Accordance user base. A compromise would be a lectionary (3 year Sunday cycles, two weekday cycles, special days) simply giving the readings (the book references), allowing the user to display their translation of choice in parallel. It would not replicate the text in the ritual books, but it would be close enough for many. My own homily preparation does not start with the printed lectionary text but with the GNT. Thinking of the recent clamor for recent English (and other language) translations, I wonder if there is sufficient demand for lectionary translations.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Michael,

Thank you for these suggestions. We've secured some nice commentaries, but not yet the Missal. We do already have the Catholic Study Bible and the Catechism.

I like your suggestion for a lectionary tool with links. We already have the NAB and NABRE, so links to those texts would be easy. Hmm...

• Like 1

We've secured some nice commentaries

I wonder...

Very tantalizing.

• Like 1

A compromise would be a lectionary (3 year Sunday cycles, two weekday cycles, special days) simply giving the readings (the book references), allowing the user to display their translation of choice in parallel. 

I like your suggestion for a lectionary tool with links. We already have the NAB and NABRE, so links to those texts would be easy. Hmm...

Thank you  Michael and Timothy. I appreciate your attention and insight into this request.  . To give a better description of my present practices. I copy/paste the daily bible citation into Accordance and use The New Revised Standard Version with Strong's Numbers for analysis and comparing commentaries. The New Revised Standard Version is another approved translation by the USCCB for private use and study by catholics.  Whether it is a book, or lectionary or  a daily devotional with links you create, the functionality of providing the daily reading links  would be treasured by me and  assumedly by many.

Michael,

Thank you for these suggestions. We've secured some nice commentaries, but not yet the Missal. We do already have the Catholic Study Bible and the Catechism.

In Canada we use the NRSV and in UK/Ireland/Australia  they use JB... it is only the USA that uses the  NAB.... although all texts are at least mildly revised for the lectionary (nrsv has gender neutral language removed most of the time, the JB has Yahweh replaced by Lord  and even the NAB has adaptations for readability made). Just trying to point out that the lectionary readings are BASED on one of those three versions in the english speaking churches but not faithful to the translations as we know them in printed Bibles. 

-dan

I have and use the Catholic Studies bundle and use the link in the Catholic Study Bible as per your previous recommendation Helen so thank you.

Jeremy,I have used Accordance for many years and like the product. I have been asking for products that I think would enrich my faith. I do not want to be a nuisance. 

Here is what I believe is the comparable package advertised in Logos:

The Third Roman Missal interlinked with  the other resources in the library.

These resources include commentaries as well as reflections based on the liturgical year.

In addition, they have a tool called the Catholic Topical Index that lets you explore a particular topic of Catholic teaching by linking the Catechism, Scripture, and writings from Catholic Tradition.

Thanks

The Catholic topical index is nice but a creation unique to Faithlife so while it is a work that is quite commendable I am not sure of Accordance being able to licence it or willingness to undertake a project this large.

AMEN

Sacred Scripture
  OT Nu 5:22, Dt 27:12–26, 1 Ki 1:36, 1 Ch 16:36, Ne 5:13, 8:6, Ps 41:13, 72:19, 89:52, 106:48, Je 28:6
  NT Lk 1:38, 2 Co 1:20, Re 3:14, Mt 6:13, Mk 5:25–34, 1 Co 14:16, Re 1:18, 5:14, 19:4, 22:20, Mt 6:2, 5, 16, Jn 5:19

Church Teaching
  Catechism CCC 1061–1065, 1345, 1396, 2856, 2865, 1348; Glossary “Amen”; Index “Amen”
  Roman Catechism RC 4.17.6

Ecclesiastical Writers
  St. Justin Martyr 1 Apol. 65–67
  St. Cyril of Jerusalem Cyr. Hier., Cat. Lect. 23.18
  St. Augustine Augustine, Serm. (Ben.) 58 .11.13

See also: Prayer

Andrew Jones et al., eds., Catholic Topical Index (Bellingham, WA: Verbum, 2013).

Typing Amen into the research entry area on Accordance brings most of those up and many others in seconds but it is a lot of wading through things using such generic word as Amen. And of course this brings up not only catholic works but others as well since I did not have a filter set for catholic only.

-Dan

-Dan

• 11 months later...

Michael,

Hello,

Have there been any new developments toward a Catholic Missal or NABRE lectionaries tool?