Photo

GNT - Scrivener's (Trinitarian Bible Society)

Greek Textus Receptus TR

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EricC

EricC

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

Is there an Accordance module for the Greek NT that is precisely the same as the Scrivener's edition published by Trinitarian Bible Society?

After watching Dr. J's helpful podcast #117 about Display > List Text Differences (http://www.accordanc...t-a-correction/), I thought I'd try it with Scrivener's and other GNTs. It seems to me, though, that the GNT-TRS (Greek New Testament - Textus Receptus with Strong's) and the GNT-TR (same w/o Strong's numbers) are really the 1550 Stephanus text. The information box for them (see attached screenshot) at first confused me since it says that the text is Stephanus', but that the diacritical marks were added to conform to the TBS' "The Greek New Testament: The Greek Text Underlying the English Authorised Version of 1611". The text, based on my checks, really is Stephanus', not Scrivener's, and it appears that only the diacritical marks and punctuation conform to the TBS version.

So assuming there is no other module for Accordance (and that no one has a user module they could share), maybe I could request Scrivener's as published by TBS here?

Attached Files

Edited by EricC, 07 February 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:18 AM

Eric, your assessment is correct. Although not the same as what you're looking for, you may also be interested in Robinson's Byzantine Greek New Testament

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#3 EricC

EricC

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thank you, Rick, for the clarification. Any chance of the Scrivener's in Accordance?

#4 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Eric, I know of no projects in the works. Such things are usually an issue of demand, and I'll shoot straight with you to say that there's simply not a lot of demand at the moment. There may be enough interest for users to put together a User Bible around the Scrivener text, but I don't know. 

Just playing with that idea, and following the instructions in Accordance Help, I created a "test" version of the Scrivener NT with Just Matt 1-2 in it. Now, I "borrowed" text from a competing software to create the Accordance version, but keep in mind that these are public domain texts. I'm pretty sure that's well within legal use of the text, but I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for certain.

The results came out pretty good though!

Attached File  Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 3.41.14 PM.png   1.21MB   0 downloads

I had to remind myself of the differences between Stephanus' text and that of Scrivener by reading this article from the Theopedia (which I recommend to others as a good summary as well as Wikipedia's profile of Scrivener). I also discovered that I have a print edition of Scrivener from the Trinity Bible Society that I had forgotten about. Interesting stuff!

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#5 EricC

EricC

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:12 PM

Thanks, Rick!

#6 Jonathan C. Borland

Jonathan C. Borland

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Today, 10:48 AM

Hello Accordancers!

I just checked all the places in Matthew where Scrivener's 1894 printed text underlying the KJV differs from Stephanus' 1550, and in only one place does the Accordance module GNT-TRS side with Stephanus 1550 against Scrivener 1894 (that place is Matt 9:33; see below).

Stephanus 1550

Matt 2:11 εὗρον (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: εἶδον)
Matt 2:23 Ναζαρέτ (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: Ναζαρέθ)
Matt 4:13 Ναζαρέτ (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: Ναζαρέθ)
Matt 9:18 OM. εἷς (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: ἄρχων εἷς)
Matt 9:33 Stephanus 1550 WITH Accordance GNT-TRS: λέγοντες ὅτι (but Scrivener's TR: OM. ὅτι)
Matt 10:10 ῥαβδόν (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: ῥάβδους)
Matt 10:25 Βεελζεβούλ (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: Βεελζεβούβ)
Matt 11:21 Βηθσαϊδάν (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: Βηθσαϊδά)
Matt 13:24 σπείροντι (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: σπείραντι)
Matt 18:30 ἀλλά (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: ἀλλ᾽)
Matt 20:22 ὁ δέ (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: δὲ ὁ)
Matt 21:7 ἐπεκάθισεν (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: ἐπεκάθισαν)
Matt 21:11 Ναζαρέτ (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: Ναζαρέθ)
Matt 21:13 οὐαὶ δὲ ... κρίμα (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: οὐαὶ δὲ ὑμῖν ... εἰσελθεῖν)
Matt 21:14 οὐαὶ ὑμῖν ... εἰσελθεῖν (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: οὐαὶ ὑμῖν ... κρίμα)
Matt 24:15 ἑστός (but Scrivener's TR and Accordance GNT-TRS: ἑστώς)

So at least in Matthew it appears that the accordance GNT-TRS is in fact much closer to Scrivener's 1894 TR than Stephanus' 1550 edition.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

Edited by Jonathan C. Borland, Today, 10:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Greek, Textus Receptus, TR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jonathan C. Borland