Tagging User Bibles/Texts

bpkantor

I have recently begun putting together a user Bible text. It worked just fine to add it to my Accordance (which is fantastic that we can do that), but it would be more helpful if I could also tag it (according to Hebrew tags, though it is a transcription of Hebrew).

Is there any code I can enter in the .txt file for my user Bible or any way I can tag this text? I do not mind going word by word, but I am not sure if this is possible with a user Bible/text.

Grace and peace in Christ,

Ben

• Like 3

Tagging a user Bible is not currently possible, but you're not the first to request it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. Is this something we could potentially see in the future or is it an unlikely addition?

It won't happen in the near future: way too complicated to create a user-proof system of tagging!

• Like 1

It won't happen in the near future: way too complicated to create a user-proof system of tagging!

I imagine this is a tough tension for developers to navigate!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there a non-user friendly, unofficial way to do this? (In fact I actually prefer working with text/xml/html/usfm than user interfaces, so its not something I would actually want anyway :-D )

I am rapidly moving from being a beginner at translation, to perhaps intermediate, and I would dearly love to be able to import my work in a way that allows me to cross-highlight (mouseover) my work to compare my word choices with others.

Next year I am likely to start work on my thesis which will also include translation of the greek text, perhaps the epistle of barnabas, and this would be super super handy to have the ability to do cross-linked (mouseover) comparisons with the modules I already have.
Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 2

I'm sure the programming involved would be challenging to implement this, but I would be willing to pay extra for this ability. Please, please. I so much wish I could tag my translation as I make it.

I think that extensibility is one of the non-negotiables of Bible software, but it does not usually get the attention it should get. If I were doing a roadmap for Bible software, this would be right up there: whatever the Software Company can do as far as content must be available to the user (with full parity). I realize that not everyone is a creator of content in many other fields, but the very nature of biblical studies is that almost everyone using Bible software is creating content (somewhere, somehow, to some extent). Accordance's User Notes, Tools, Highlighting, and now Papers and Stacks are Accordance's response to this fact. They are great steps. Thank you!

However, there is no small number of people who are translating the text themselves and really want to have their translation integrated fully into Accordance. In my case, it's a non-English translation. We desperately need this ability to code the translations we use. Morphological coding, key word coding (e.g., Strong's G/K), syntax coding – what's the harm of letting us do it ourselves to our own translations? Accordance would be in a league by itself. It would be fabulous.

Edited by EricC
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

Also in the OSIS format some tagging is possible. Please support this too.

Greetings

Fabian