Layman's question about Uncials in Accordance.

rpavich

I was following a discussion about John 5:4 and how the most reliable/earliest manuscripts didn't contain it, but others did.

Here is one quote from Metzler's Textual Commentary:

Ver. 4 is a gloss, whose secondary character is clear from (1) its absence from the earliest and best witnesses (P66, 75 ℵ B C* D Wsupp 33 itd, l, q the true text of the Latin Vulgate syrc copsa, bomss, ach2 geo Nonnus), (2) the presence of asterisks or obeli to mark the words as spurious in more than twenty Greek witnesses (including S Λ Π 047 1079 2174), (3) the presence of non–Johannine words or expressions (κατὰ καιρόν, ἐμβαίνω [of going into the water], ἐκδέχομαι, κατέχομαι, κίνησις, ταραχή, δήποτε, and νόσημα – the last four words only here in the New Testament), and (4) the rather wide diversity of variant forms in which the verse was transmitted.

Bruce M. Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (2d, Accordance electronic ed. New York: United Bible Societies, 1994), 179.

Just for fun, I pulled up the manuscripts that do omit it (they are in Accordance) but I didn't have any of the others (the Uncial 047 for example)

Are they in any accordance module?

Just wondering; I think it would be interesting to see them.

Edited by rpavich

...to add it in Accordance when tables and Pics are supported by User Tools.

But the solution are surely better when Accordance does that.

Edited by Fabian