How to find all occurrences of Greek word translated as ___ in English

proslambano

Hi,

How do I find all occurrences of δε in Hebrews that are translated as something other than "but" in the English NAS95?

I have a search range for Hebrews. And I can find all occurrences in the NA28 of the lemma form in the letter and add a parallel NASB. From there, I'm lost as to how to proceed.

I'd also like to have a count of how many times it's used in Greek and how many times it's translated as "but", how many times as "and", and how many times as "now", (or whatever other distinct English word).

TIA!

Brian

Edited by proslambano

Hi,

How do I find all occurrences of δε in Hebrews that are translated as something other than "but" in the English NAS95?

I have a search range for Hebrews. And I can find all occurrences in the NA28 of the lemma form in the letter and add a parallel NASB. From there, I'm lost as to how to proceed.

I'd also like to have a count of how many times it's used in Greek and how many times it's translated as "but", "and", or "now", (or whatever).

TIA!

Brian

I believe that you can do the following search:

[KEY G1161] <NOT> "but"

And also define a search range by clicking the + button on the right of the search box and adding a range. If Hebrews isn't there, just add it as a range.

And as for the other part of your question; just do a search for "de" and click the analysis tab and choose "analysis" as your choice.

However, I'm no pro and hopefully someone who's good at Accordance can chime in. :)

post-33196-0-20823200-1423998159_thumb.png

post-33196-0-69240400-1423998173_thumb.png

Edited by rpavich

I believe this will work.

[KEY de]@-but [RANGE heb]

Or you you can put the key number in like this:  

[KEY G1161]@-but [RANGE heb]

I get different results from rpavich.  I get 27 hits and his way gets 23.  I am sure one of the Accordance crew can help us out here.

​To get a count how many times a key word is translated into a particular english word.  Do a key number search and then go to the Analytics and under the Word Count heading click on Analysis.  

Hope that helps.

Edited by circuitrider

I believe this will work.

[KEY de]@-but [RANGE heb]

Or you you can put the key number in like this:  

[KEY G1161]@-but [RANGE heb]

I get different results from rpavich.  I get 27 hits and his way gets 23.  I am sure one of the Accordance crew can help us out here.

​To get a count how many times a key word is translated into a particular english word.  Do a key number search and then go to the Analytics and under the Word Count heading click on Analysis.  

Hope that helps.

I think it was because I did't do the @ sign to tie the two together. I'll have to remember that.

Edited by rpavich

Man this is confusing :) You guys all seem to be using different texts. The OP wanted NASB.

In addition there is a bug in the use of @-word. If you don't have a trailing space it removes the -. Not nice.

So some data from the 3 texts under consideration:

Text             [KEY G1161]@-but [RANGE heb]         [KEY G1161] <NOT> but [RANGE heb]

ESVS                   16 flex                                15 flex

NASB                   13 flex                                10 flex

KJVS                   27 flex                                23 flex

I'm pretty sure the reason for the difference is that the @ qualifier applies the qualification to the word in question. The <NOT> applies it to the same search scope. So If there is a case where G1161 is not translated but but there is another but in the same scope (probably verse) that hit will be excluded. Running a diff of two tabs set up with these queries in a third tab (eg.  [CONTENTS KJV with Strong’s 3] <NOT> [CONTENTS KJV with Strong’s 4]) should confirm that.

Taking the KJV as an example three verses are exclude by the <NOT> query

Heb. 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

Heb. 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Heb. 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

The third 12:11 removes two hits, yielding 23 hits against 27.

HTH

D

• Like 1

Remember that such minor and common words such as de are often not tagged as key numbers in English. The Mounce NT and the new NIV11-GKE are your best choices for assigning each Greek word to an English word, but even there it is an inexact science.

Man this is confusing :) You guys all seem to be using different texts. The OP wanted NASB.

In addition there is a bug in the use of @-word. If you don't have a trailing space it removes the -. Not nice.

You are right!  Sorry about that.  :)

Here are the analysis results when using the NIV11-GKE (remember the difference in the key number in GK vs. Strong's):

[KEY de]@ -but  (25 total words)

Number of different forms = 11:

G1254 de δέ = 23
And = 7
and = 6
however = 2
Just = 1
Now = 3
When = 1
Yet = 1
at other times = 1 (with G4047)
Instead = 1 (with G3814)