Larry Wing

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Dan, I'm not so much curious about the theological perspectives but I am wondering how a Biblical Theology approach vs Systematic Theology approach affects the notes contents or structure. Will a Biblical Theology approach (ZNIVSB) be along the lines of Gospel Transformation Study Bible or different? According to ZNIVSB they have taken a biblical theology approach to their notes. I just don't know what that means to a reader.

I do have a copy (old fashioned thing called a "book") and am looking forward to doing some comparisons over the next couple weeks since I have some free time.

#22 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Well to quote Wiki "Biblical theology for the most part is a Christian approach in which the theologian studies the Bible from the perspective of understanding the progressive history of God revealing Himself to humanity following the Fall and throughout the Old Testament and New Testament. It particularly focuses on the epochs of the Old Testament in order to understand how each part of it ultimately points forward to fulfillment in the life mission of Jesus Christ. Because scholars have tended to use the term in different ways, biblical theology has been notoriously difficult to define. When Biblical theology seeks to understand a certain passage in the Bible in light of all of the biblical history leading up to it and later biblical references to that passage it is systematic, historical and dogmatic theology."  

​To me this seems to be the approach of most study Bibles... Indeed the only study Bible I have ever seen that I would consider Systematic would be the "Disciples Study Bible" (this is a wonderful resource and would love to have it in Accordance... it is currently only available in WordSearch, a Bible software program that lacks much). To me "Biblical Theology" almost sounds like an almost meaningless catch phrase. That cynicism put aside it offers a laudable goal, and allows us at best to view christ as through out the Bible start to finish.  This is accomplished in Gospel Transformation Bible without doubt, but this not so in the ZSB, looking at Esther The introduction accomplishes the goal of 'Biblical Theology' but Jesus Christ makes no appearance in the notes till Esther 5:2 and only there in the entire book's notes.. Now the notes are all good but all in all far different from GTB notes. That said looking at a commentary with a goal of Biblical theology in all but name, [The People’s Bible is just what the name implies—a Bible for the people. It includes the complete text of the Holy Scriptures in the popular New International Version. The commentary following the Scripture sections contains personal applications as well as historical background and explanations of the text. The authors of The People’s Bible are men of scholarship and practical insight, gained from years of experience in the teaching and preaching ministries. They have tried to avoid the technical jargon that limits so many commentary series to professional Bible scholars. The most important feature of these books is that they are Christ-centered. Speaking of the Old Testament Scriptures, Jesus himself declared, “These are the Scriptures that testify about me” (John 5:39). Each volume of The People’s Bible directs our attention to Jesus Christ. He is the center of the entire Bible. He is our only Savior. The commentaries also have maps, illustrations, and archaeological information when appropriate. All the books include running heads to direct the reader to the passage he is looking for.  John F. Brug, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, The People’s Bible (Milwaukee, WI: Northwestern Pub. House, 1985),] and even in this Christocentric series Jesus is not often referenced in the commentary on Esther. I feel like I am somewhat failing to answer your question, but maybe someone else can come along to offer you a better answer.

-Dan

#23 ukfraser

ukfraser

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted Yesterday, 02:18 AM

Seeing your refereance dan, Sorry if going too off topic but pre accordance, when getting a new translation, i would try to get it as a study bible and for the nrsv, i got the spiritual formation bible edited by richard foster, now called the renovare spiritual formation bible. Its certainly different and has its "with god life" concept throughout the scriptures.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0060671084

Not my first go to but it does provide a different view.

Edited by ukfraser, Yesterday, 02:25 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 8 and 1x on iOS 7, occasionally accordance 11x on mountain lion, win 7 and win XP.
Other life enhancing software I use includes forScore with AirTurn page turner, HymnQuest, Lightroom and Sibelius.

#24 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 AM

I would love to have the Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible in Accordance as well as the must have New Oxford Annotated Bible. Accordance does offer one very good NRSV based Study Bible. NEW INTERPRETER’S STUDY BIBLE NOTES http://www.accordanc...tails/?pid=NISB

Dan

Edited by Dan Francis, Yesterday, 08:13 AM.

• ukfraser likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users