What is the difference between [VERB aorist] @-[VERB 2aorist] and [VERB aorist] <NOT> [VERB 2aorist]

mortenjensen

Hi all,

I would like to search for all aorist forms in Mark - not 2aorist. As I understand it "aorist" covers all types, right?

First, I tried this command: [VERB aorist] <NOT> [VERB 2aorist]

But it hits would not match, so i searched around and found the command: [VERB aorist] @-[VERB 2aorist].

And it works.

Can someone explain to me, what the difference between the two is. What I am searching for with the first command?

And also: Why is a @ needed before the - sign in the second command?

Morten

Hi Morten, first of all well done for doing your research.

The difference is that the <NOT> command co-ordinates 2 elements within a scope. Ie, it’s looking for a verb aorist and something that is a verb second aorist, and making sure that the 2nd aorist verb is not in the same scope as the aorist verb.

The @ symbol joins the condition to the word that precedes it. So in your second example you search for all the aorist verbs except for those tagged 2nd aorist.

So, the NOT command applies a condition to two separate elements in a scope (i.e. verse, chapter, clause etc)

@ applies a condition to the preceding element.

Hope that makes some sense.

• Like 2

I am curious now - I have both GNT28-T and NA28-T and neither of them has 2nd aorist tagging. What text are you using?

The 2Aor tag is no longer used in the GNT28-T nor NA28-T.

Thank you, guys,

that another thread was especially helpful.