Bloomfield's Greek Testament w/ English Notes

Enoch

I was looking through the Spurgeon module on commentaries, and I found that Spurgeon recommended this one:

Samuel Thomas Bloomfield:  Hē Kainē Diathēkē; the Greek Testament, with English notes, critical, philological, and exegetical.

of which I found 1 volume on line and a reprint of a volume on Amazon.

The title page actually shows the Greek words in the title using Greek font.

What I saw of this work has the Greek text at the top of the page with comments in English below, a lot like Alford -- maybe better than ol Alf.

I note that Logos sells a different multi-volume work by Bloomfield (fl. 1859) which also appears to be a commentary on the Greek NT, commentary with a Latin title -- that one is going cheap as it is on community pricing, like for $30.  That work is 9 volumes called  Recensio Synoptica Annotationis Sacrae  styled as  an exegetical, philological, and doctrinal commentary on the interpretation of the Greek New Testament. This also looks also like a very helpful interpretation of the Greek text of the NT -- interpretation in English, despite the foreboding  Latin title.

I found this on the internet, I think at archives.org.

Edited by Enoch

I've enjoyed Bloomfield's GNT/commentary over the years and would purchase it in Accordance if available. In addition to his lexical and textual notes (he prefers Byzantine readings probably 80 percent of the time), he mediates between the Calvinist and Arminian positions but is generally more on the Arminian side. That said, Enoch, I don't think many more than you and I would purchase such an old commentary that can be downloaded for free, and plus I doubt that a reliable e-text is available for this work that contains a great amount of Greek (and Latin) and English in italics.

I've enjoyed Bloomfield's GNT/commentary over the years and would purchase it in Accordance if available. In addition to his lexical and textual notes (he prefers Byzantine readings probably 80 percent of the time), he mediates between the Calvinist and Arminian positions but is generally more on the Arminian side. That said, Enoch, I don't think many more than you and I would purchase such an old commentary that can be downloaded for free, and plus I doubt that a reliable e-text is available for this work that contains a great amount of Greek (and Latin) and English in italics.

Thanks for the comments.  I had never heard of the old boy before a few days ago.  The Latin title work is earlier than his Greek NT.  It appears to be his epitome of commentaries prior to his time.  And that work looks longer than his 2 volume Greek NT commentary (I don't know how thick the volumes were).  Yes, I think most of it is downloadable, but I think you get a text that you cannot easily convert to Word Format nor copy & paste from. Correct me if I am wrong.  I suppose Accordance could be improved if on the info pop up they included a rating on the Calvin scale for all documents, like 0-5, with decimal points & a superscript code for lapsarian varieties.  Of course if Bible texts themselves were rated, it might be controversial.  But thanks for the Carminian report. Alford must be considered Bloomfield's successor.  If I understand Alf correct, he believes in the perseverance of the elect but not of the regenerate (like Augustine?)  You reckon Spurgeon's greatness might be due to his consultation of Bloomfield?

But the multivolume Latin title work is probably going to sell for $30 using their community pricing bidding scheme, which I think means they don't sell it until the cost of production is covered by bids -- so they can't lose much on it.  I suppose that with that system, a work might never be produced & sold if subscribing bids don't cover it.

Edited by Enoch