Clarify Lib. Content; Eliminate the Shanghai Express Feature

Enoch

It is noted that still on the latest Accordance, one has difficulty knowing what books are covered by a commentary set & avoiding a time waste & Shanghai experience.  For example, in studying a Psalm, if one clicks on a commentary set that lacks Psalms, one goes to an irrelevant place in the chosen commentary set.  It might be for example, Job.  And doing that can lead to moving your other activated resources to Job also.  Thus you have been shanghaied from the passage you were studying.

Suppose you are on Psalm 90 and try to bring up New American Commentary by "Add Parallel."  You find yourself taken to Job and if you are so foolish as to do something with the new pane, like trying to scroll to Psalm 90 in NAC, you are shanghaied from your location.

I suggest that you eliminate this inconvenience and have a little window pop up which says:

"NAC lacks a commentary on Psalms."  Click here to buy Alfonso's Ultimate Commentary on Psalms, at a special discounted price, which will download automatically within 1 minute for your convenience.  It is noted that at present you have in your library 4 commentaries on Psalms; click A,B,C,or D to choose one or E to abort this process & return to your workspace."  :D 

In preferences one could choose that when one selects a commentary set for a passage, but the set lacks that book, a brief statement appears "Accordance NAC lacks Psalms," and one is automatically returned to one's workspace.

And ideally when one uses "Add Parallel," the first items in the list would not be the name of modules (sets), but a list of the commentaries one has on that book and the journal articles on that passage.

Edited by Enoch

Enoch, Check out the new Info Pane. It will show you any commentaries you have on the particular passage you're studying.

Also, as a personal note, I would like to humbly ask that Accordance refrain from ever placing ads in my experience of Accordance. I understand Enoch's request but I would prefer not to be served ads in software I have purchased no mater how helpful the company thinks they may be. 

Enoch, Check out the new Info Pane. It will show you any commentaries you have on the particular passage you're studying.

Also, as a personal note, I would like to humbly ask that Accordance refrain from ever placing ads in my experience of Accordance. I understand Enoch's request but I would prefer not to be served ads in software I have purchased no mater how helpful the company thinks they may be.

Well, we all have different wishes. So I guess in preferences one could chose to have "helpful ads" or none. Of course I would want the helpful ads to be quite minimal. OK, thanks, I will go hunt for the info pane you speak of, as I am not sure where or what it is. It would be nice then if the info pane also listed journal articles which one owns on the particular passage.

Now if such helpful adds gave you 50 percent off in a situation (as compensation for your frustration), would you still object?  

Edited by Enoch

Enoch, Jeremy is right. InfoPane will do what you're asking. It is new in v. 11 and made specifically for this purpose. 

Go to http://www.accordancebible.com/The-Accordance-11-Info-Pane for more information. 

Edited by R. Mansfield
changed link

In preferences one could choose that when one selects a commentary set for a passage, but the set lacks that book, a brief statement appears "Accordance NAC lacks Psalms," and one is automatically returned to one's workspace.

And ideally when one uses "Add Parallel," the first items in the list would not be the name of modules (sets), but a list of the commentaries one has on that book and the journal articles on that passage.

Both of these ideas are great.

Concerning the parallel resources, Accordance does already have something like it, for example when have Pseudepigrapha open and click on "Add Parallel", both "Texts" and "Reference Tools" contain only those items that could be viewed in parallel, so maybe this could be done with commentaries as well.

Edited by rokas

so maybe this could be done with commentaries as well.

Again, the Info Pane does do this. 

Enoch, Jeremy is right. InfoPane will do what you're asking. It is new in v. 11 and made specifically for this purpose. 

The downside of this is that on smaller screens (where there isn't much space anyway) it crowds the things even more, and InfoPane becomes a luxury :)

Edited by rokas

The downside of this is that on smaller screens (where there isn't much space anyway) it crowds the things even more, and InfoPane becomes a luxury :)

I guess it's all according to the layout you're using on smaller screens.

I regularly use the Info Pane on my 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write, which only has a 1200 x 800 screen. Here's a screenshot after one commentary has been clicked on.

Screenshot (21).png

I guess it's all according to the layout you're using on smaller screens.

I regularly use the Info Pane on my 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write, which only has a 1200 x 800 screen. Here's a screenshot after one commentary has been clicked on.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreenshot (21).png

Exactly, it all depends on the layout. It works perfect with three columns.

On the other hand, if I have English Bible + Greek Text + My Notes open, adding a fourth column is already somewhat crowded. So keeping an InfoPane open is not an (desirable) option. Opening some commentary in the fifth column is already out of question. So it means I have either open InfoPane, select a commentary and close InfoPane, or open a separate tab and do the work there. These are workarounds I do use, but having my options limited to those texts and reference tools that are actually relevant when adding parallel panes would be a wonderful addition. The code is already there (InfoPane does this, and as I've noted, this works with some texts as well - I cannot add "parallel" gnostic gospel to let's say Matthew), so maybe this wouldn't be too difficult to code either :)

Thanks for the education on the info pane.  It is indeed great.

Now, what Accordance should do is offer as a free bonus with the more advanced packages, a 21:9 monitor, 34 inch or larger.