Textual-Guide-to-the-Greek-NT-ed-Omanson

Fabian

I would very much like to see this in Accordance, too. It is the successor to Metzger's Textual Commentary although it would be help helpful to keep Metzger available, too. 

+1

How much new textual critical info does it give?  Does it have more profound or more cogent argument?   I note the interesting strange claim:  "Therefore the notes of Metzger have been simplified and expanded." And I note that they seem to have expanded the discussion of verse divisions & punctuation.  

How much new textual critical info does it give?  Does it have more profound or more cogent argument?   I note the interesting strange claim:  "Therefore the notes of Metzger have been simplified and expanded." And I note that they seem to have expanded the discussion of verse divisions & punctuation.  

It does simplify Metzger (although I never thought his Textual Commentary was all that complicated), but it also is more up to date with new content.

For example, here is Mark 1:1 from Metzger:

1.1  Χριστοῦ [υἱοῦ θεοῦ] {C}

The absence of υἱοῦ θεοῦ in ℵ* Θ 28c al may be due to an oversight in copying, occasioned by the similarity of the endings of the nomina sacra. On the other hand, however, there was always a temptation (to which copyists often succumbed)1 to expand titles and quasi–titles of books. Since the combination of B D W al in support of υἱοῦ θεοῦ is extremely strong, it was not thought advisable to omit the words altogether, yet because of the antiquity of the shorter reading and the possibility of scribal expansion, it was decided to enclose the words within square brackets.

And here is coverage of Mark 1:1 from Omanson:

1:1 Χριστοῦ [υἱοῦ θεοῦ] (Christ [son of God]) {C}

The evidence is rather evenly divided on whether the words υἱοῦ θεοῦ (son of God) are original or are a later addition. On the one hand, they may have been original but were accidentally omitted by a copyist. Since Χριστοῦ and θεοῦ were often abbreviated as ΧΥ and ΘΥ, it would have been easy for the eye of a copyist to jump from the one word to the other. Also the combination of manuscripts supporting the longer reading is extremely strong. On the other hand, the shorter reading is an old reading, and copyists often expanded titles of books. To indicate doubt about the original reading, the words υἱοῦ θεοῦ have been put in brackets.

1:1 Segmentation

The relationship of v. 1 to what follows is much debated. (See the discussion in Guelich, Mark 1:1–8:26, pp. 6–7.)24 If v. 1 is understood to be a title for the whole book or a heading for the first section of the book (vv. 2–8? 2–11? 2–13? 2–15?), then a major break will be placed at the end of v. 1. If, however, v. 1 is read in continuity with vv. 2–3, then the sense is that the good news of Jesus Christ began as (or in accord with that which) Isaiah the prophet wrote. TOB attempts to show the connection between vv. 1 and 2–3 by the use of a colon at the end of v. 1. The following Scholars Version translation more clearly reflects this relationship: “1 The good news of Jesus the Anointed begins 2 with something Isaiah the prophet wrote: …” (Robert J. Miller, ed., The Complete Gospels, p. 13).

+1

Has anything been published yet that is based on the NA28th?  Having a supplement to this book that discusses the new readings would be very helpful.

Edited by Julie Falling

Metzger (1st and 2nd editions) cover the UBS text. So does Omanson. I would think that since we now have UBS5, which has changes in the apparatus, Accordance should wait till a new edition of Metzger/Omanson comes out (presuming it does), before issuing anything new.

Yes, it looks like a worthy module for Accordance. A consideration of how the Word is rightly divided is important.

Many tnx to R M for the e.g.

Edited by Enoch

Metzger (1st and 2nd editions) cover the UBS text. So does Omanson. I would think that since we now have UBS5, which has changes in the apparatus, Accordance should wait till a new edition of Metzger/Omanson comes out (presuming it does), before issuing anything new.

The changes in the apparatus are not as important, IMO, as he changes in the text itself – there are several of those that aren't just spelling changes, word order changes, or omission/inclusion of a word that was bracketed in the NA27th/UBS4th.  I've been able to find some discussion of most of the variants in WBC or elsewhere.  I can't find any discussion on the tense change in 2Pet 3:16 (στρεβλουσιν—> στρεβλώσουσιν).  It doesn't have any huge impact on meaning, but I'd still like to know the thinking behind the decision.  Surely there is an update or revision to Metzger/Omanson in the works‽

It's on our list of titles to get from GBS, including David Trobisch's, A User's Guide to the Nestle-Aland 28 Greek New Testament (not a Metzger-type resource, but should be helpful for the student or reader of the NA28).

• Like 2

It's on our list of titles to get from GBS, including David Trobisch's, A User's Guide to the Nestle-Aland 28 Greek New Testament (not a Metzger-type resource, but should be helpful for the student or reader of the NA28).

Yes!

(Chant with me..) Rick-y...Rick-y...Rick-y..... :)

• Like 2