Trying to Link to Dropbox and it opens notepad

tabenroth

Hey all,

I have sync working on my other computers. My one travel laptop, however does not want to link to Dropbox but all it does is open Notepad. Please see screenshot for the exact error message. I have uninstalled the whole program, cleaned out all references to accordance, scanned for viruses, etc. still no luck. Thanks for your help in advance.

Tim

post-33239-0-94490700-1425058651_thumb.jpg

Edited by tabenroth

Tim:

This is strange. I'm guessing, but...

What happens on that laptop when you have a filename that ends in .html and you double-click it? Does Notepad open? Or your browser?

Try it that on one of your machines that are working.

Do they behave the same?

I'm thinking somehow Notepad has usurped your browser as the default for opening .html files. We discover the default app for that file type, and then launch the ostensible discovered 'browser' with the URL to authenticate your Dropbox. But if Notepad is getting that URL instead, it will understandably be confused on what to do with it.

Resetting the default action for .html to open with your browser should fix this. Assuming my guessing is correct.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if we need to explore some other options. Thanks.

-Scott