Comedy of errors

Eric Peterson

I have had a series of Windows-like problems with Accordance the past 2 weeks...help! In essence, it began with a small MacBook (OS 10.4.9) crash; subsequently lost my "English gloss" help in Accordance (WAS version 7.1) Instant Details box. Suffered in silence, read quite a number of forum posts, and eventually tried to move various preference files around to get Accordance to show English gloss (the rest of the details box was fine, both in Greek and Hebrew) to no avail. I then did the usual Windows thing, saved as many preference files as I could (including the one in user/library directory) in separate folders, and reinstalled the whole program (so NOW I'm back to 7.0.3). Naturally, like a good Win user, I've lost a number of my unlock codes so a number of things (bible versions, etc) I can't reinstall yet.

I have tried to put old preference files in the "Accordance folder" (and it seemed my old iteration of 7.1 generated several such folders), close/restart Accordance until I'm blue in the face, and yet the program will not recognize either my installed bibles (which I can clearly see under Modules/texts) or even all of my saved highlight files and so forth. HOWEVER, the english gloss IS back!

Clearly I misunderstand where to put preferences, what they mean, and how to convince Accordance to recognize the Scripture texts which are clearly installed and formerly functional on my computer.

Apart from lobbying for unlock codes again, any advice?

Thanks!

Eric Peterson

Eric:

I cannot follow what you did and where things are now. You can download 7.1 for free, and you can contact the office for a list of your codes (no need to lobby if you legitimately own them).

If you remove the Accprdance Preferences from the user/Library, Accordance will recreate them from the set in the Accordance folder. There probably was no point in reinstalling Accordance. I do not recommned that anyone do that before contacting tech support.

If you cannot get it working with all your modules, please call the tech support line, and we will try to sort it out for you.

Helen:

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if I was confusing in my post--unfortunately it parallels my experience! My goal in posting was to be able somehow to restore one of the Preferences folders I've saved and so have Accordance re-recognize the bibles I've unlocked, and can still see in my Modules folder--they're there, Accordance doesn't seem to see them. I was a bit facetious with the "lobby" comment (though that was my experience for years in the Windows environment), but to re-install each previously unlocked bible version I'll have to go through the bible versions my (now downloaded) 7.1 Accordance does recognize, then compare that list to my Modules/Texts folder, and try to figure out what I've unlocked with what, get the codes, figure out which disks go with which bible versions, and so forth. This seems like a large effort to go through when I can see the versions already on my hard drive.

Due to my Windows experience, before I reinstalled Accordance, mistake though that was, I copied EVERY folder with the word "preference" on it that I could even imagine being related to Accordance to a common folder on my desktop hoping that in one of them would be the preferences needed to run Accordance like I used to, just with the English gloss visible in the Instant Details window. I did indeed find that Accordance seemed to create a whole bunch of Preference files, I just couldn't tell from dates and so forth which was the right one--and even if I did, I suspected something was corrupted in my "important" preferences file, hence the loss of the English gloss.

Eric Peterson

Yes, it will be a lot of hassle to add back the codes. If you can identify which of your saved Accordance Preferences folders contains the oldest set of files (maybe check the creation dates), then you can try placing that set into the Accordance folder, deleting the Accordance Preferences from the user/Library, and rerunning Accordance.

If you still have the Accordance settings file from version 6 (it is saved as a backup but since you reinstalled I don't know if you got rid of it), just deleting both Accordance Preferences folders will let Accordance 7 recreate the setup you had before you upgraded.

Other than that, you will have to use Add Modules in Arrange Modules (no need to find the CD-ROMs) and just add the modules back with the codes for those that need them.

Archived