Look up words in English Dictionary

circuitrider

The new feature in Accordance 2.0 to define a word in an English word dictionary is great.

It would be nice to have the ability to look up words from within the desktop version also.  There are times when reading in a commentary that I need a word defined.  An extra option added to the right-click menu would be helpful.

• Like 3

1+

On the Mac you can do it by highlighting the word, going to the Accordance menu -> Services -> Look Up in Dictionary

• Like 2

For now you can do it like this:

1. Create a new user group and call it "Look Up English" or whatever
  2. Place Webster dictionary in it and nothing else

Now, when reading a commentary you encounter a word you want to look up, second-click it, choose "Research" and then choose "Look Up English" (see the attachement).

Hope this helps :)

post-32922-0-39783400-1428786091_thumb.png

• Like 3

On the Mac you can do it by highlighting the word, going to the Accordance menu -> Services -> Look Up in Dictionary

Navigating to Services always feel cumbersome to me, I don't know why but it does.  Manually highlighting and navigating the menus to get to Look Up in Dictionary requires four arduous :) steps.  However, I was able to create a global shortcut from Settings--->Keyboard--->Shortcuts.  Under the Services menu, Look up Dictionary is already present and you need only provide a shortcut combo.  Now a double tap on the word plus the shortcut brings up the dictionary and the definition for the highlighted word.

Thanks that was a great tip!

For now you can do it like this:

1. Create a new user group and call it "Look Up English" or whatever
  2. Place Webster dictionary in it and nothing else

Now, when reading a commentary you encounter a word you want to look up, second-click it, choose "Research" and then choose "Look Up English" (see the attachement).

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Another way to do this is to customize the Toolbar. Add the old "English Tools" icon to the Toolbar. If you have your dictionaries organized by type, it is easy to amplify to the one you want.

Webster's is fine for most words, but a theological dictionary is often more suitable for words within our discipline. The various IVP "pocket dictionaries are also often very useful for words in their specific subfields.

"English Tools" makes accessing all of them much easier.

• Like 1

I've been using the system dictionary shortcut option as well, but it would be nice if it was defined in-app.

• Like 1

Pop-clip is a great little utility that will give you a number of options as soon as you highlight a word or phrase.  There are a number of great user defined extensions that are available, notably; dictionary, copy, paste, paste and match format, copy to Evernote, etc,.  I find it indeispenable for super quick actions.

There is a trial version, or $5 for the full version.

https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to do this is to customize the Toolbar. Add the old "English Tools" icon to the Toolbar. If you have your dictionaries organized by type, it is easy to amplify to the one you want.

Webster's is fine for most words, but a theological dictionary is often more suitable for words within our discipline. The various IVP "pocket dictionaries are also often very useful for words in their specific subfields.

"English Tools" makes accessing all of them much easier.

Is the actually such a dictionary as "Webster"? Aside from old Noah Webster's?  Do you refer to the one made by his great-great-great grand daughter Miriam?

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get the popup menu for the system dictionary to work in Accordance, but within Accordance it will not bring up the dictionary even though it's assigned the shortcut control+command+D in settings. If I change the setting to option+command+D, it will load the system dictionary in a separate dictionary app window. 

Any thoughts? 

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15940-could-the-mac-dictionary-application-be-tied-to-accordance/?hl=ctrl%2Bd&do=findComment&comment=77289

Look here.

Use the short-cut keys with [shif]t+[ctrl]+[what you want].  For User shortcuts this is the better way. Especially while in Accordance a lot of shortcut-key are with ctrl+cmd or shift+cmd ...

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

odd, when I assign shortcuts with control they do not usually work, the original shortcut for define control+command+D, as well as shift+control+D, or shift+control+P. It worked once and then stopped working. I assigned shift+command+P and that seems to be working. It seems to be how Accordance takes control of the control/option keys... 

I had no problems with the ctrl key. 

I have it set on shift+ctrl+W, that works fine. Also in Accordance.

But I had often also a little problems with the shortcut keys that I have set to the Accordance Services (Not Get Verses). They will work only after I use the Service function first over the pull down menu.

Greetings

Fabian