Biblical text structure

Guntis

Logos 6 has some really great features, like the Psalms Browser.

You can see it here: https://www.logos.com/video-tour?utm_source=logos&utm_medium=email&utm_content=5003989-psalmsexplorer&utm_campaign=promo-logospro2015(scroll down until you see blue rectangles).

Psalms can be sorted by their genre, attribution, themes, etc. What I liked the most was Structure button—one click and you can see chiastic structure of the psalm, even with subheadings. 

I think Accordance starts to fall behind Logos in graphics area. Maps feel little bit outdated and there could be more visual study/research tools. (We believe when we see, like Thomas… :-))

post-634-0-24053900-1430403395_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis

I think Accordance starts to fall behind Logos in graphics area. Maps feel little bit outdated and there could be more visual study/research tools. 

I'd put the Accordance Atlas up against Logos' Atlas any day.

• Logos' atlas is painfully slow because it requires an internet connection. Accordance's Atlas has always been lightning-fast (like the rest of Accordance). The Accordance Atlas does not require an internet connection unless you want to jump to a modern day Google map.
  • You can't edit the Logos Atlas, which is basically just a collection of static maps; you can edit the Accordance Atlas--in an infinite number of ways. 
  • Distance on the Logos Atlas can only be measured "as the crow flies." The Accordance Atlas lets you measure distance by tracing known routes between locations. 
  • Accordance displays latitude, longitude, elevation, and Israel coordinates simply by moving the mouse over the screen. There's no way to determine this information from the Logos Atlas.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 9.34.48 AM.png

• Like 1

I think Accordance starts to fall behind Logos in graphics area.

To each his or her own, and I don't intend to contribute to what could be another lengthy comparative thread, but I will just say... Accordance alone has Carta resources.

• Like 2

Just added a diagram of the Psalms. This visual representation of Psalms by their genre is very helpful.

Funny how much we know about geology, yet still assume our so called measurements are historically accurate.

To be honest, neither application offers what Google does in their ancient maps (with the same amount of assumptions about distances, mind you). What is more, Google's maps are interlinked with Museums which offer some might fine free resources.

Jim T, never heard of these ancient Google maps. Can you give a link?

I'd put the Accordance Atlas up against Logos' Atlas any day.

• Logos' atlas is painfully slow because it requires an internet connection. Accordance's Atlas has always been lightning-fast (like the rest of Accordance). The Accordance Atlas does not require an internet connection unless you want to jump to a modern day Google map.
  • You can't edit the Logos Atlas, which is basically just a collection of static maps; you can edit the Accordance Atlas--in an infinite number of ways. 
  • Distance on the Logos Atlas can only be measured "as the crow flies." The Accordance Atlas lets you measure distance by tracing known routes between locations. 
  • Accordance displays latitude, longitude, elevation, and Israel coordinates simply by moving the mouse over the screen. There's no way to determine this information from the Logos Atlas.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-04-30 at 9.34.48 AM.png

I don't argue about the speed of Accordance maps, here they're in the league of their own! :-) 

Color themes for the 2D maps could be improved. Maybe it's just me, but most of those color themes look terrible to me. I really wonder does anyone use Colors, Vivid Colors, Grays, Infrared, Nightvision or Satellite color themes? When I compare the Satellite theme with the Google Earth satellite images, Accordance's version looks rather dark… (See the attached screenshot)

3D maps could be much improved—text overlays look terrible. Fonts have no anti-aliasing. Text could be on a different layer and always clearly readable. Also 3D map manipulation could be better. Many Macs have touch pads, why not use them to rotate 3D maps? All I can do now is to zoom in / out. 

post-634-0-03942100-1430405393_thumb.png

post-634-0-89187900-1430405430_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis

• 8 months later...

I would really like to see this as well! A module that does structure would be super helpful. Diagraming and syntax does some, but not quite like the phrasing module in Logos, or the Psalms module. I would greatly appreciate something like the Psalms module that would help in understanding structure and poetic style of the psalms. It would be nice if Accordance would focus a bit on some more "user friendly" tools in upcoming releases (graphics, features relating to  structures, and other types of "smart searches").