Anyone please comment on conservative/evangelical resources

Emanuel Cardona

Hello,

I have been informed that The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia is "conservative" in viewpoint and that The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible is "evangelical" in viewpoint.  What do we as Christians understand or should understand by this (e.g., similarities and/or differences, etc.)?

Blessings!

It's so subjective, those terms can be understood in many broad (and narrow) senses. This thread is bound to generate more heat than light!

It's so subjective, those terms can be understood in many broad (and narrow) senses. This thread is bound to generate more heat than light!

I understand, but I am hoping that we as Christians are able to at least provide nothing more than a concise opinion without forcing others to accept it as to why the IBSE is considered conservative and the ZEB is considered evangelical.  Anyone that is able to cooperate positively is welcomed to post.  Blessings!

...I am hoping that we as Christians...

Please, keep in mind that not everyone on these forums nor those who uses Accordance are Christians. 

Now, having said that... 

James Orr who edited the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia and who contributed to the fundamentals could be considered to be both conservative and evangelical

and according to what one reviewer has to say about The Zondervan Encyclopedia it could as well be considered to be both: 

The articles (over 7,500 in all) were produced by more than 250 contributors from around the world.  They’re written from a conservative evangelical point of view but fairly represent alternative views when describing and interacting with them (at least so far as I have read). https://rdtwot.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/the-zondervan-encyclopedia-of-the-bible-revised-full-color-edition/
Edited by bkMitchell

Please, keep in mind that not everyone on these forums nor those who use Accordance are Christians. 

Thank you for making me aware of that.  I appreciate it.

Now, to answer your question about the differences between the two works under discussion. First, please keep in mind that this is only my opinion on the matter:

I would say that fundamentalist 'might' be more comfortable with the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia being that the editor played a role as one of the founding members of that movement.

Much of what Zondervan puts out is Evangelical (broad moderate/centralist conservative Christian), but not necessarily from a fundamentalist and or a dispensationalist  point of view. Also,  Zondervan as well has updated academic scholarship on biblical studies, that wasn't available to the editor of the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia.

Edited by bkMitchell

Now, to answer your question about the differences between the two works under discussion. First, please keep in mind that this is only my opinion on the matter:

I would say that fundamentalist 'might' be more comfortable with the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia being that the editor played a role as one of the founding members of that movement.

Much of what Zondervan puts out is Evangelical (broad moderate/centralist conservative Christian), but not necessarily from a fundamentalist and or a dispensationalist  point of view. Also,  Zondervan as well has updated academic scholarship on biblical studies, that wasn't available to the editor of the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia.

Thank you so much for your comments!

Another thought:

Zondervan is the one who puts out the NIV 2011 text and NIV study Bible. There are some who would consider that work to be Conservative while others might consider that work to be of a somewhat progressive. Such individuals might prefer the ESV study Bible,  or the HCSB study Bible or,  the KJV study Bible, or the Scofield Reference Bible.

I think this type of thought is what is going on when we also consider The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia and the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible.

Another thought:

Zondervan is the one who puts out the NIV 2011 text and NIV study Bible. There are some who would consider that work to be Conservative while others might consider that work to be of a somewhat progressive. Such individuals might prefer the ESV study Bible,  or the HCSB study Bible or,  the KJV study Bible, or the Scofield Reference Bible.

I think this type of thought is what is going on when we also consider The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia and the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible.

Thank you for the clarification.  It has been a great help.