#1 DGill

DGill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

I just learned from Martha Halladay that none of the English translation modules contain Tagged Apocryphal books. (I own the Apocrypha [and Pseudepigrapha] in original languages, and several English versions which contain the Apocryphal book--but none are tagged.)

Does anyone else wish Accordance would tag translations of the Apocrypha?

• R. Mansfield and Morgado like this

#2 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

At one point in time Accordance had planned to tag the NRSV Apocrypha, indeed some initial tagging  was done, but the project got abandoned as being beyond the scope they were comfortable with. I am very glad to have it tagged in Logos, but I do not know if Accordance would consider trying it again.

-Dan

EDIT: If you go to Tobit 1.1 in the NRSVS you will see that the odd word is tagged to Strongs.

Edited by Dan Francis, 04 May 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

It would be nice to have the NRSVS complete, wouldn't it?

• Dan Francis likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2015 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write - 1.33 Ghz Atom Z3735F, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon, iOS 8.3

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 8.3

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,997 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 AM

Hi, Deborah!

Over the years, there have been a number of proposals to tag the apocrypha, as well as the LXX, and even extra-biblical books (pseudipigrapha, apocalypses, etc.). None of them has gained a lot of traction, either here at Accordance or in other groups. It could be done, though it would require expanding existing key number system(s) dramatically. The real question is exactly how many people would really use it, just as you have asked.

While everyone agrees it might be nice, Key Numbers are used most often by those without knowledge of biblical languages (or very limited knowledge). Those people's main interest is usually in the core biblical texts (OT, NT), not these other texts. Scholars tend to be interested in a wider range of texts, but the same training that has convinced them of the value of these texts has usually included courses in biblical languages. They don't need the Key Numbers.

I am pleased you've put this question out there. I'm interested in seeing just how many people respond positively.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#5 Fabian

Fabian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:www.internetkirche.com
    www.iglesia-del-internet.com

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 AM

I'm on board.

Greetings 

Fabian

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Yosemite 10.10.3

Accordance 11.0.5 and waiting on 11.1

iPhone 4S

iOS 8.3

iAccord 2.0

#6 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Attached File  Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 10.37.05 AM.png   152.54KB   0 downloads

Yes and to correct any misunderstandings... Logos/Verbum ties the english text to original text but is not directly tied to the strongs system.. See attachments in which the english word formed in verse 2 was hovered over. And others have complained that 2 Esdras (the latin based intro and post) is not tied to the latin, this does not bother me because although I do not speak latin I can usually open up the Vulgate and quick enough find the root of the translation. I personally find the Apocrypha tied to OL very useful and helping me understand how close a connection phrasing from it compares to similar phrasing in the NT. I am not sure if the numbers warrant going ahead with it, but I will say when dealing with the original language Accordance is my goto APP, and generally I only hit Verbum when it is outside of the protestant canon. And looking up in the lexicons in their system requires a couple of steps to get you there.

Dan

Edited by Dan Francis, Yesterday, 11:48 AM.

#7 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,015 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Tim accurately summarizes the issue with undertaking this, i.e. Strong's was not developed for the Apocrypha and therefore would require significant editing. Logos solved that problem (to an extent) by tagging it with the underlying Greek lemma (though not all texts are primarily translated from Greek, which is an entirely different issue). That method doesn't really work for us since it breaks the logic of a 'key number' text.

At one point I looked into another source for the apocrypha already tagged, but it was not complete. If something like that ever is finished, I would lean more toward trying to adapt it into a new resource in Accordance (i.e. not trying to force it into the 'key number' paradigm).

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#8 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

I fully understand what you are saying Rick and, while less than ideal Verbum works ok for my needs and I understand the task may be more than Accordance wishes to take on. IF YOU DID, you could follow the model of NASB Strongs, that added in numbers not there with letters.

19a. ἀγαθουργέω agathourgeo; contr. form of 14; to do good: —did good(1).

19b. ἀγαθωσύνη agathosune; from 18; goodness: —goodness(4).

Greek Dictionary of the New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance, s.v. “αγαθουργεω,” n.p.

-Dan

#9 DGill

DGill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 04:04 PM

Thanks everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apocrypha, Tagging

1 user(s) are reading this topic