Who says you can't have Accordance on an Apple Watch?

R. Mansfield

IMG_1408.JPG

• Like 5

Ha!

Photoshop or a sticker? B)

Neither.

• Like 1

When did your watch arrive?

This morning about 11 AM.

Since I've lost just about every wristwatch I've ever owned, Kathy says I'm not allowed to take it off except to charge it :-)

• Like 2

This morning about 11 AM.

Since I've lost just about every wristwatch I've ever owned, Kathy says I'm not allowed to take it off except to charge it :-)

Smart lady!

Then you have to update your Signature ;)

Fabian, I actually captured a screenshot of the opening screen in the iOS app, cropped it, and displayed it on the watch for the picture. 

There is always YouVersion if you get desperate.

;o)

There is always YouVersion if you get desperate.

I'm not that desperate ;-)

• Like 2

Steve has lost 5 lbs since he got his Apple Watch.  I guess I need to buy two watches …  :)

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

I'm not interested in Accordance on the watch.

I've had my watch since the first day they were available. After wearing it for several weeks now I feel like I "get it" more that I would have the first few days. It is NOT a substitute for your phone/device. It IS something very different. And something I have come to really value. (thought I certainly would not call it essential)

On this question of putting Accordance on the watch, I think the "call" doesn't understand the device, really. This type of thinking envisions the watch as a smaller phone strapped to your wrist, when it really is a different category.  At most, I can envision Accordance adding a verse picker, using the dial, that allowed a quick lookup of a verse, and that cached 5 verses before and after what verse you chose. Lookup integration with Siri input would also spark interest. But, in the end, this type of usage is tangential to what the watch does. If you haven't used the watch, you need to realize how small is the display. It's small. Reading on it is painful. A quick-lookup of a line of text is the way to think of it.

I've got these kind of thoughts running around since I told some folks I'd do a brief write-up after a month with the watch, which is coming up.

I had been hoping for something more contextual, like, "Siri, what Bible verse best applies to how I should act in this situation, and are there any textual variants that give me other options?"

• Like 3

I'm not interested in Accordance on the watch.

I've had my watch since the first day they were available. After wearing it for several weeks now I feel like I "get it" more that I would have the first few days. It is NOT a substitute for your phone/device. It IS something very different. And something I have come to really value. (thought I certainly would not call it essential)

On this question of putting Accordance on the watch, I think the "call" doesn't understand the device, really. This type of thinking envisions the watch as a smaller phone strapped to your wrist, when it really is a different category.  At most, I can envision Accordance adding a verse picker, using the dial, that allowed a quick lookup of a verse, and that cached 5 verses before and after what verse you chose. Lookup integration with Siri input would also spark interest. But, in the end, this type of usage is tangential to what the watch does. If you haven't used the watch, you need to realize how small is the display. It's small. Reading on it is painful. A quick-lookup of a line of text is the way to think of it.

I've got these kind of thoughts running around since I told some folks I'd do a brief write-up after a month with the watch, which is coming up.

Joe, after using the Apple Watch for a couple of days, I agree with you. Before I had the Apple Watch, I thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be nifty to have Accordance on the watch?" After using it, no, I don't want that. I don't need that. This goes to the same reason that I took almost all 3rd party apps off of it the first day I had it. As I said in my blog post, "Why would I want OneDrive on my watch?" Maybe it's a neat trick that it's accessible, but what is really the point? 

Tonight I was in Best Buy to get printer ink. Since I use Evernote quite a bit, I had left Evernote on the watch. So, in the printer ink aisle at Best Buy, I'm trying to search my notes in Evernote by voice, using my watch, for a note I have where I list what kind of printer I have (I can never remember off the top of my head). After three tries and feeling a bit conspicuous for talking into my watch, I reached in my pocket for my phone and found the information I need in a matter of seconds. 

The watch will do a lot of neat things, and I believe we're going to still be discovering uses for it for a while, but I'm also discovering what I don't need to do with it. I don't need Accordance on it when I have my iPhone 6 Plus in my pocket. I don't want to read large amounts of text on the Apple watch--whether that's in Accordance or the Kindle app (which I removed without even looking at it).

I had been hoping for something more contextual, like, "Siri, what Bible verse best applies to how I should act in this situation, and are there any textual variants that give me other options?"

Since were supposedly in the 3rd generation of Siri, maybe that kind of functionality will come in the 4th. 

• Like 1

Since were supposedly in the 3rd generation of Siri, maybe that kind of functionality will come in the 4th. 

Siri needs to grow up a bit... great concept (brilliant, actually), so-so execution.

One thing that occurs to me about the Watch is that it's tethered to the phone, which was always the thing that was tethered to something else (a computer, iTunes, etc.), not a thing that had something else tethered to it.

Does this reinforce the phone as a possible primary computing device? (Sure, at least a little bit.) If so, what does it meant for the laptop/desktop?

Well, you'll remember that when the iPhone was first released, it required iTunes on a Mac or Windows laptop for setup. It was dependent on the computer for updates and syncing content. That's no longer been the case for a while. 

I do know a handful of people who no longer have a traditional laptop or desktop computer--their phone is the computer. There's a woman at our church who decided not to get a new computer when her iMac died. She has an iPhone 5c that she uses for email, web surfing, and Facebook. That would not be enough for me, but it really is for her. 

My father's only computer is his iPad. He used to have a laptop for work but he only used it to send in his sales spreadsheets for Excel. I never got an email from him until he got his iPad. He uses it for both work and personal use. You will never find him with out it. And he has no use for a traditional computer. 

There may come a day when the Apple Watch can act totally independent from an iOS device. On the other hand, the screen is pretty small. Even if it can perform its functions independent of any other device, I hope we will always be able to configure it from another device if we want to. 

• Like 2

There may come a day when the Apple Watch can act totally independent from an iOS device. On the other hand, the screen is pretty small. Even if it can perform its functions independent of any other device, I hope we will always be able to configure it from another device if we want to. 

Good point(s). Maybe Apple will make the Watch independent from any iOS device, so that it has the computing power to manage itself... but then offer the Apple Watch Screen Extension Wearable Necklace that gives you more screen real estate so you can manage your Phone-free Watch!

By the way, as I type this message from an iPad connected to a Logitech keyboard, I can easily say that if I could make the iPad my main computer, I would. I love the sheer portability of it. I can do about 75% of what I do on the iPad, but the other 25% is quite important. And that 25% includes the full desktop Accordance :-)

Of course, the iPad will continue to become more capable, so the percentage of what I can't do on the iPad will continue to shrink.

Why do I like the iPad? I appreciate the sheer compactness and portability of it. The Surface and Surface Pro Line from Microsoft are quite nice, but the interface is too bifurcated, and I don't believe Windows 10 is going to completely solve that issue. OS X and even iOS are still more elegant solutions than Windows in my experience.

I have put a lot of thought into simplifying things, though. The new 12" MacBook is very appealing to me. Now that people are really getting their hands on it and suggesting that it's fine for most things, including light video and photo editing, I'm confident that Accordance would run quite well on it. The compactness of it is attractive to me for the same reasons the iPad is.

• Like 1