How does one find the words that start questions most commonly ?

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

So I had this question the other day. Finding questions in the Greek text is easy enough if you trust the ";" question marks. In any case they'll do for this purpose. The next problem was to get the first word in each clause to be found. This turns out to be a challenge. CHAR searches are not compatible with syntax it seems, for reasons mentioned in my other post. In addition a question is not a syntactic category. That leaves one falling back on various kinds of searches and combinations. None actually work that I have so far tried. For example one can find all the ";" and then use those CONTENTS to limit a second search. That founders however because while one has the verses the questions are in one cannot identify where they begin. My first thought was * <WITHIN 1 WORD> [FIELD BEGIN]. And this would seem close but one cannot set the search scope to clause or sentence (because of the .; character search, even if it is used via CONTENTS) which is what you would want. It works with verse but mis-identifies the starting word because you really want the starting word of the clause.

Ideally I would really like to be able to get an analysis tab of the words beginning sentence with their frequency.

Any ideas ?

thx

D

I have a feeling that the way that Accordance identifies the character it has to look at the entire verse, hence the lack of support for the other scope settings. I do not see a way around this.

Oh ok - that's a bit of a surprise. I didn't think that the scope would have been that fundamental to the CHAR search.

I might see if I can export the questions and post process them somehow.

Tx

D