KEY analysis giving a strange result

Ken Simpson

Yesterday at the seminar I ran in Brisbane, it was pointed out to me (thanks Tony Pyles) that there are a couple of aberrant issues when you analyse a flex search for the word “love” - at least in the ESVS

When you do the search (I have constrained this search to [KEY G0026] to show the aberrance more clearly) there are two entries for the word “love” (lower case - exact same string apparently)

plus, for reasons that will become obvious, though confusing, [KEY G2596] appears

my search string is 

love@[KEY G0026]

the analysis results show

love@[KEY G0026] [Flex] (114 total words)

Number of different forms = 6:

Love = 3

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 3

love = 108

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 108

love’s = 1 

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 1

loving = 1

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 1

love = 1

G2596 kata κατά  = 1

love = 1

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 1

notice the second and final results (my emphasis). Notice the G2596 weirdness

the G2596 comes in because the English word “love’ in Rom 14:15 is double-tagged

from instant details

love  G0026  ἀγάπη   agapē  

[GNT28-T] ἀγάπην agapēn  Noun fem sing acc  love; Kiss of Peace (Complement) 

love  G2596  κατά   kata  

[GNT28-T] κατὰ kata  Preposition (+acc)  (+gen) against, down; (+acc) according to (Adjunct)

but it is strange reporting to include the κατὰ rather than the ἀγάπη result, and confusing that G2596 appears to have been attached to the word love (see bold above) in the ID.

I can’t find the outlier “love” - when I do a search highlighting the key, I just get all the G0026 words.
Edited by Ken Simpson

Ken, you are close to finding the solution.  For all double-tagged words, we list the two tags separately in the Analysis.  Your outlier kata isn't combined with the other katas, because its usage here is also blended with G2596.  If you do Sort By Key Number, you'll see the love represented with both keys, but I agree it isn't represented as clearly in the analysis when sorted by word.

Thanks Joel, the κατὰ issue is less “troubling” than the outlier.

Ahh, wait a minute, are you saying that this one:

G0026 agape ἀγάπη  = 1

love = 1

G2596 kata κατά  = 1

love = 1

reflects the one instance of the word love where κατά and ἀγάπη are tagged in? If that’s the case, then the display is misleading. It would be good if that could be cleaned up sometime.

Thanks