Early chuch, advice please

ukfraser

Not sure if i should have put this under general help so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am currently reading early church history including a couple from frances young (nicaea to chalcedon scm publisher) and a couple from stevenson/frend (eg creeds councils and controversies published by spck) and have recently come across:

The Way to Nicaea (Formation of Christian Theology)

by John Behr (And a second volume in 2 parts)

Svs press ( i already have a mcguckin book from them on saint cyril)

As i dont have contacts with a seminary or any further education establishments, i was wondering if anyone on the forum would want to give their thoughts on the level of scholarship of this particular author and where svs fits in compared to the ivp 5 volume set. Im guessing that research has moved on from the bundle with schaff and church fathers in.

Edited by ukfraser

• 1 month later...

Hi

I see a number have looked at this but not had any responses, has anyone any words of wisdom on the level of scholarship of authors like john behr or svs publications in general?

Or conversley, who are worth looking at in the orthodox tradition (ie non western).

Please feel free to message me if you dont want to go public

Many thanks

Fraser

I read your post, Fraser, but I'm afraid this is out of my area of expertise. Sorry.

Sorry Fraser, I would proffer advice if I had any.