Widget Woes

Tim Etherington

All I get when I try to download any update is "Failed, Please try again" (after lengthy Downloading... message) I do, again, and again and again. I close/open widget, I turn off/on widget, I stop/restart running of widget. Still does not work.

I'm having a similar experience. When I click the Update button the widget flips over and asks me to log in. I do and it just sits there. I have to click Cancel and the widget flips back over. Then I update and it downloads and then sits on Installing... for a long time (i.e. > 4hrs).

I've gone and found the files and installed them but the AccUpdater widget still reports them as being out of date.

The funny thing is it worked like a champ for the ESV update but I can't get it to update Waltke or any of the other modules.

I think this widget is a great idea, just wish it either worked better or gave me enough info to figure out what's going wrong. <_<

Did you try the 2.1 widget which I posted yesterday and announced here?.

Good morning Helen. Yea, after the first malfunction with it I did check of an update. I'm currently downloading it again and I'll give it another shot. I'll let you know either way.

I downloaded the widget (again) and installed it and I'm still getting the same indication. Entering the admin password makes the widget freeze. Cancel and download again gets it going. Downloads the Waltke module and then says Installing... forever.

I have never been able to get the other widget working either. I wonder if I have a bad install of Accordance or something?

I'm running OS X 10.4.8 on a G4 867MHz Powerbook with 1G of memory. Using the most recent version of Accordance.

Now its worse. It accurately determined that I had updated Waltke and dropped it from the list but now when I try to enter the admin password it just stops. I used to be able to hit cancel and then go back to the front of the widget and download again. Now every time I hit Download Updates, the widget flips over and it won't allow me to enter the password.

This is an extremely helpful tool if we can just work out the bugs.

The same thing happened with 2.1 and 2.1.1

I've been talking with Joel and it appears that at least my problem is that I don't have the BSD Subsystem installed. My Powerbook was refurbished and it came with OS X installed. I updated it to 10.4 but didn't do a clean install.

It looks like the widget(s) use some of the BSD to do what they do. That may be the problem.

Thanks for bringing out these issues for anyone else that might have issues with the widget:

1) You *must* have the BSD subsystem installed for it to work. It is a standard OS X install option, but it is possible to do a custom install and disable it. The scanning doesn't use that, but the installing uses "osascript" "ditto" "curl" "rm" and "mkdir" (maybe others that I'm not remembering right away). For those that need it, here are some instructions from Apple on how to reinstall the subsystem on an existing installation.

2) The widget *must* be located in the user widgets folder, at ~/Library/Widgets/ . If you are running 10.4 or later double clicking the widget will install it there automatically, but be sure to check its install location. (for those not familiar, the ~ means your Home folder)

Just to clarify: if you cannot authenticate the AccUpdater with your password, the problem is likely that you do not have the BSD subsystem. To verify that, you can open the Terminal (in Applications: Utilities) and enter:

osascript -e "return \"Hello\""

it will reply with Hello if the BSD is installed, and you can quit the Terminal.

If you get an error you can follow the above link to Apple's page on this.

Just to clarify: if you cannot authenticate the AccUpdater with your password, the problem is likely that you do not have the BSD subsystem. To verify that, you can open the Terminal (in Applications: Utilities) and enter:

osascript -e "return \"Hello\""

it will reply with Hello if the BSD is installed, and you can quit the Terminal.

If you get an error you can follow the above link to Apple's page on this.

It is important to get all of those double quotes in just as you see them. You can copy and then paste them command into the terminal window.

Both my Powerbook and iMac failed but my son has my Tiger disk so I can't fix it yet. :-/ He'll be home from college next week or so and I'll give it a shot then.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread! My son just got home from college with the OS X disks and I attempted to install BSD. The link Joel provided was for installing BSD after 10.2 but according to Apple, "The BSD Subsystem is always installed with Mac OS X 10.4." I'm running 10.4.9 and the widget still doesn't work.

Tim, I took the liberty of extracting the posts relating to your issues from the rest of that other very involved topic.

However, I cannot determine what your problem is now. I suggest you start over:

Download Accordance 7.2

Reinstall the AccUpdater widget, version 2.1.3

Run Accordance

Check that these two files in your user/Library/Preferences are being updated:

com.OakTree.Accordance.Path.txt

com.OakTree.Accordance.Mod.txt

If they have a new date, try the widget.

If it fails, please tell us what OS you are using, and what drive Accordance is on, and we will go through some more diagnostic measures:

You can send us these two text files.

You can open up Console.app (found in /Applications/Utilities) and send us any text output from the widget. It should have reported the exact error there so we can see your problem.

Archived