Verbal Aspect in NT Greek

Emanuel Cardona

Has anyone gained some significant exegetical insights with the use of the verbal aspect theory?  Feel free to share some examples.  God bless!

• 2 weeks later...

In my studies, it seems that aspect theory doesn't so much alter interpretations as it does allow a more 'greek-language centric' approach as opposed to viewing greek through the lens of english grammar. Interpretations rarely stand or fall on the tense/aspect/aktionsart of a verb. And, when they do, they're are generally suspect. I'd suggest, however, checking out Stanley Porter's Studies in the Greek New Testament: Theory and Practice where he offers some exegetical insight. He offers some also in his Idoms of the Greek New Testament (which, btw, is worth every penny you may have to pay for it). 

Porter is good, but I would actually recommend Campbell first

Basics of verbal aspect in biblical Greek, Campbell, Constantine R. , Grand Rapids, Mich. : Zondervan, 2008.

​Porter’s Idioms is invaluable, even if I don’t like aspect theory, but I am a big outlier on that issue.

Edited by Ken Simpson

In my studies, it seems that aspect theory doesn't so much alter interpretations as it does allow a more 'greek-language centric' approach as opposed to viewing greek through the lens of english grammar. Interpretations rarely stand or fall on the tense/aspect/aktionsart of a verb. And, when they do, they're are generally suspect. I'd suggest, however, checking out Stanley Porter's Studies in the Greek New Testament: Theory and Practice where he offers some exegetical insight. He offers some also in his Idoms of the Greek New Testament (which, btw, is worth every penny you may have to pay for it). 

I have Stanley Porter's Verbal Aspect in the Greek New Testament with Reference to Tense and Mood, and Buist M. Fanning's Verbal Aspect in New Testament Greek is on the way, but I am not familiar with the Studies in the Greek New Testament: Theory and Practice by Stanley Porter.  How does it compare to his other book?  His' Idioms of the Greek New Testament is good for reference, which I use along with C. F. D. Moule's An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek.  What do you think about Kenneth McKay's A New Syntax of the Verb in New Testament Greek?  Thank you!

Porter is good, but I would actually recommend Campbell first

Basics of verbal aspect in biblical Greek, Campbell, Constantine R. , Grand Rapids, Mich. : Zondervan, 2008.

​Porter’s Idioms is invaluable, even if I don’t like aspect theory, but I am a big outlier on that issue.

I agree with you on Porter's book.  I do not own Campbell's Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek, but I have heard good things about it.  As far as the aspect theory, I am yet to be entirely convinced.  Thank you!  

I have Stanley Porter's Verbal Aspect in the Greek New Testament with Reference to Tense and Mood, and Buist M. Fanning's Verbal Aspect in New Testament Greek is on the way, but I am not familiar with the Studies in the Greek New Testament: Theory and Practice by Stanley Porter.  How does it compare to his other book?  His' Idioms of the Greek New Testament is good for reference, which I use along with C. F. D. Moule's An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek.  What do you think about Kenneth McKay's A New Syntax of the Verb in New Testament Greek?  Thank you!

Those are all fine. I'm not going to weigh in on the legitimacy of Porter's claims. I'll just say they are highly contested and many legit linguists question his linguistic foundations. The booki recommended is a collection of exegetical essays using various linguistic principles, where as the other books mentioned (Porter's big book, McKay, Fanning, Campbell, etc) are primarily presenting the theories, although there are, of course, illustrative passages scattered throughout.

Those are all fine. I'm not going to weigh in on the legitimacy of Porter's claims. I'll just say they are high

Y co tested and many legit linguists question his linguistic foundations. The booki recommended is a collection of exegetical essays using various linguistic principles, where as the other books mentioned (Porter's big book, McKay, Fanning, Campbell, etc) are primarily presenting the theories, although there are, of course, illustrative passages scattered throughout.

Thank you!  Blessings!

somehow I'm not seeing how to edit the posts. In my last reply, "high Y co tested" Is supposed to say "Highly contested"

somehow I'm not seeing how to edit the posts. In my last reply, "high Y co tested" Is supposed to say "Highly contested"

Left to MultiQuote, but only if the original post not older than 1 hour.

• Like 1

Left to MultiQuote, but only if the original post not older than 1 hour.

I've heard this 1 hour limit stated before but I've never noticed it. Indeed I have a post from yesterday that I still see the Edit choice for.

Thx

D

OK. It's the 1hr limit that got me. Thanks.

OK. It's the 1hr limit that got me. Thanks.

I fixed your post for you, but yes, we recently set the limit to one hour so that you can quickly correct typos, but you cannot go in and edit old posts in the light of the responses to them, etc.

• Like 1