Inserting pictures or PDF into user note/tools

mrderek

Hi there

One thing I would find really helpful would be the ability to insert pictures or pdfs into user notes. Some of my lecture notes are in pdfs and it would be great to attach them to bible verses in user notes.

Derek

• Like 2

I'd like to add a word of caution here. Insetting large graphic files, if and when such a feature becomes available, will quickly bloat a User Tool or User Note. It has the potential for slowing Accordance down quite a bit.

Instead, why not just insert a local URL link to the PDF in your User Tool? That feature is available now. Here's the relevant Accordance Help section:

1. Links to Web Pages and Files Outside Accordance

Enter a URL to the desired website, select it, and click Make Link. The URL becomes a link.

2. The URL (link) must include http:// to be recognized by Accordance.
  3. A URL (link) such as http://www.accordancebible.com/opens the browser to that address.
  4. The link mailto:support@accordancebible.com creates a new mail message to that address.
  5. These links are distinguished from a Scripture link by the colon without adjacent numbers. Spaces are not allowed within the link.
  6. A link to a file on the hard disk or another attached disk or drive is similar to a link in a browser such as: file:///Users/myname/Documents/pics/temple.tiff
  • Like 1

We are working on it.

I am SO glad to hear this.

• Like 1

I'd like to add a word of caution here. Insetting large graphic files, if and when such a feature becomes available, will quickly bloat a User Tool or User Note. It has the potential for slowing Accordance down quite a bit.

Instead, why not just insert a local URL link to the PDF in your User Tool? That feature is available now. Here's the relevant Accordance Help section:

1. Links to Web Pages and Files Outside Accordance

Enter a URL to the desired website, select it, and click Make Link. The URL becomes a link.

2. The URL (link) must include http:// to be recognized by Accordance.
  3. A URL (link) such as http://www.accordancebible.com/opens the browser to that address.
  4. The link mailto:support@accordancebible.com creates a new mail message to that address.
  5. These links are distinguished from a Scripture link by the colon without adjacent numbers. Spaces are not allowed within the link.
  6. A link to a file on the hard disk or another attached disk or drive is similar to a link in a browser such as: file:///Users/myname/Documents/pics/temple.tiff

Wouldn't it be possible to desplay a warning when the files get to large? Or even limit the size? I would very much like to insert pictures (of manuscripts for instance) or pdfs to the user notes. And if you link it to your hard disk you can't move the files any more.

Boni,

These are good questions. The answer is "I just don't know at this point."

Our User Notes are a work in process; the programmers haven't even finished an alpha version yet. We have discussed the potential for abuse of this feature though. Imagine someone with thousands of personal photos of the Holy Land, who decides to load them all into a single Accordance User Note or Tool. Or imagine someone who decides a PDF of his/her entire doctoral dissertation would be just the thing to put in a User Note. [Don't laugh. We do have folks who would attempt such things!] Links to files on the hard drive would use soooo much less space, but (you're right) those files would have to stay put.

Not only that, but what if someone wants to sync a User Note filled with PDFs and images with an iPhone? Image how long that would take via WiFi! Imagine how much room that would consume  on a mobile device.

I'm sure our programmers will do their very best for us, but I just don't everyone to set their expectations too high.

Boni,

These are good questions. The answer is "I just don't know at this point."

Our User Notes are a work in process; the programmers haven't even finished an alpha version yet. We have discussed the potential for abuse of this feature though. Imagine someone with thousands of personal photos of the Holy Land, who decides to load them all into a single Accordance User Note or Tool. Or imagine someone who decides a PDF of his/her entire doctoral dissertation would be just the thing to put in a User Note. [Don't laugh. We do have folks who would attempt such things!] Links to files on the hard drive would use soooo much less space, but (you're right) those files would have to stay put.

Not only that, but what if someone wants to sync a User Note filled with PDFs and images with an iPhone? Image how long that would take via WiFi! Imagine how much room that would consume  on a mobile device.

I'm sure our programmers will do their very best for us, but I just don't everyone to set their expectations too high.

Maybe this is the million dollar question in programming, but couldn't you just leave those decisions with the users, and enable a couple appropriate pop-up warning dialogues at appropriate points?

• Like 1

Maybe this is the million dollar question in programming...

That is indeed the question.

• Like 1

Well, I know these forums aren't (necessarily) polling places, but more user freedom gets my vote.

• Like 1

I know of no other application that restricts its users in such a fashion. Please bring the notes into the age of OS X and allow the user to decide. Moreover, if you would bring the app into Cocoa standards, ditch the outdated coding methods, there are numerous options for associating numerous files types in a notes file. As it stands, we can't even use a simple html link! This is unacceptable if you ask me.

As Dr. J said, this feature is still in development. He just reminded you all of the disadvantages of including large images in the notes, especially if you want to sync to multiple devices.

The Mobile development team will also need time to make sure that the notes with links and images work on the app. I am sure that both teams will make every effort to ensure a smooth experience for everyone, and as few limitations as possible.

Maybe a solution is to have Accordance copy whatever files a user wants to link to inside /Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/Linked Files/ and hyperlink to it from the user notes/tools. That way the end user has the freedom to move around the file if desired. Sure, it means having a duplicate file, but if it's important enough to link to it, there's are worse things in the world than having backups. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Ken Han

As Dr. J said, this feature is still in development. He just reminded you all of the disadvantages of including large images in the notes, especially if you want to sync to multiple devices.

The Mobile development team will also need time to make sure that the notes with links and images work on the app. I am sure that both teams will make every effort to ensure a smooth experience for everyone, and as few limitations as possible.

Thanks Hellen,

that sounds very reasonable - though I don't think I'll get an i-phone within the next ten years.

Boni

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Don't want to get too involved in the file size discussion, just have a question about hyperlinks... I followed the 'make link' instructions above for a variety of locations but kept getting the error message attached... When I make a link to shared evernote file it creates it as https... I presume this is the problem??

How do I fix this? and/or how do I create a working hyperlink to a local file on my mac? 

I have the highest accordance 10 and a MacBook Air running yosemite...

Thanks

Dave

post-33391-0-66395700-1434450494_thumb.png

Edited by Dave Hayes

I am pretty sure you can only make Scripture links in User Notes files Dave, you can link to other files in User Tools however.

To see more details have a look at file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/create_links_in_user_tools.htm?Highlight=User%20Tools (paste this into your browser location bar).

G'day,

yep that worked... Is it possible to have a user tool zone appear in a single tab?

When I put my user tool (with working link) as a separate zone it appears in all tabs in my workspace

Hope that makes sense? 

Thanks

Hi, Dave!

By definition a "zone" is an independent space from the rest of your workspace, so it will appear, whatever tab you select in the other zone.It sounds like that's where you have opened your User Tool.

If you want to transform the User Tool to just another tab, click and drag its title bar into the tab area of the other zone.

Hi, 

Thanks, realised I should't ask questions in forums without thinking :-) 

More exactly, what I mean is, Can you put a 'User Tool' in parallel? (I have 'user notes' in parallel), there doesn't appear to be an option available for this?

Thanks

Dave

Hi, Dave!

Sorry, that is not possible. User notes work like Reference tools, which can be placed in parallel panes. Notice that none of the other Tool categories can be used that way, including User Tools.

Now, we are adding a significant number of features to User Notes in the near future (months, not years), some of which are already present in User Tools. If you are working on a commentary or something similar, you may want to wait until until that update is released.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My current workaround is to clip the image in Skitch and then share the URL.  URL ends up looking close to this.  Then paste the URL in the user note, and you'll ""always"" have it around to refer to.

A couple of glitches therein:
1.  If you like to print your user notes for a passage, the image will not print.
2.  Clicking the URL straight from Accordance doesn't work. Perhaps I'm missing a step on that front.

2.  Clicking the URL straight from Accordance doesn't work.

Soon...

• Like 3

Hi,

Garret, I'm not sure exactly what you've done...

But an external link works in 'User Tools' but doesn't work in 'User Notes'...

I believe that there is a fix in the works for this (as per above comments)

My question related to this is... Will this fix (to link externally from User Notes) be available for Accordance 10 or just for 11?

Thanks

Dave

New feature development, such as supporting external links in User Notes, only occurs in the latest version of Accordance, v11 as of right now (and for a while).  The upgrade is cheap, offers a huge number of new features, and includes any other upgrades we make until the next paid upgrade (v12).  Generally we only do this every couple of years, so at $49 less any discounts you have, its really a steal.  But, the lamp under my name means to take everything I say with a grain of salt, so hopefully other users or reviews can help make up your mind.

At first I was hesitant to upgrade from 10-11 this was because I did not see the value in it at first. But after using using 11 for months now I will say for me at least it was very worth the upgrade. The info pane is very fast and powerful. The idea may well seem to be based on Logo's passage guide or Olvetree's resource guide, but the info pane works so much faster. Another new feature that is a big bonus is the ability to combine sister sets together... No more needing to switch to WBC NT when going from Genesis to John in a paralleled window. Take a look at the new features yourself... I believe a few more features have come along since then too... but off the top of my head i can't remember them.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14963-webinar-recorded-whats-new-in-accordance-11/

-Dan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, Dave!

Sorry, that is not possible. User notes work like Reference tools, which can be placed in parallel panes. Notice that none of the other Tool categories can be used that way, including User Tools.

Now, we are adding a significant number of features to User Notes in the near future (months, not years), some of which are already present in User Tools. If you are working on a commentary or something similar, you may want to wait until until that update is released.

Hi, 

No doubt people are hard at work on this, I've just upgraded to Accordance 11.0.8... Has this upgrade to User Notes (as in can I put an external URL in a note and have it work) happened yet?

I know that external links work in a user tool...

Thanks

Dave Hayes