Mac adventure

Michel Gilbert

I've solved part of that with my manual "load-balancing" of hardware - i.e. I have multiple computers and thus the wear on each evens out. I just need to fine-tune the timer on each computer that puts them in hibernation mode since that's perhaps what causes most of the wear at least on the laptops. This is not optimal, I have spent a bit more on hardware and OS:s this way and could have got a little faster computer, but the benefit is that the total number of web browser tabs I can have open is at least 600, which I doubt is possible with a single computer which would be in use. And this is without having all of them in constant we-browser use:

you get what you pay for. The problem with non-Mac is that if you try to go cheap, because you can, is that you do get cheaper no-name hardware which can be flaky.

Yeah I know that date is near, but I haven't given that a lot of thought really, since there's a benefit with Win 7 Pro: being able to run Libronix/Logos 3 which usually performs much faster and doesn't require multiple cores or indexing like subsequent versions of the brand. It also doesn't download things automatically. And the i3 laptop is not very old. Plus I'm not interested in boot-speed, are there any other speed improvements? Has .NET/WPF been improved performance wise in Win 10? I haven't had the time to look into this:

For Unix to make an informed decision, he might also consider that his Win 7 Pro can be upgraded to Win 10 Pro for free on July 29 or shortly afterward, which attempts to integrate devices on one platform. I can tell Unix that I tried Win 10 beta on my Vostro, and it ran much quicker, and the concensus is that Win 10 will bring new life to older computers, and the possibility to install an ssd when older OSs wouldn't allow it.

The moment you get Acc 11 to run on Linux, please tell us how you did it, step by step. My dream OSs would be OS X and a Linux VM.

Thanks.

Accordance will run on a Unix computer, it just needs a Mac shell around it! ;-)

• Like 3

+1 as a feature request in Linux :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Accordance will run on a Unix computer, it just needs a Mac shell around it! ;-)

Very true and some have had success with WINE... 10.4.2 is the last version that ran on it I think, but from following things on the form 11 may work in future editions of WINE since the problem appears to be a known WINE issue.

-Dan

by "Accordance will run on a Unix computer, it just needs a Mac shell around it! ;-)" he means... a Mac.

• Like 1

[Chuckle] Jeremy, you outed me!

Yes, indeed, modern Macs are nothing more than Unix machines with a Mac shell.

• Like 1

[Chuckle] Jeremy, you outed me!

Yes, indeed, modern Macs are nothing more than Unix machines with a Mac shell.

And a proprietary GUI ... that’s probably the biggest sticking point. Darwin is open-source, but the UI makes it more difficult to bring things to Mac.

That's why I had the smiley face; I was just playing along.  :rolleyes:

I would have to wonder for how long Win 7 is going to be updated? Also, I just remembered that the good Win 7 laptop I bought last Week has MS Office 2007 - which is faster than the 2013 version. My dad has some left over licenses for the 2013 version since he got five licenses with the purchase of one, which he could put on my computer if I would upgrade to Win 10. (But maybe he could soon find use for some of them, as I think there's some WIn 7 computers in the family - I'll ask him today if my youngest brother's one has Win 7.)
Can 7 Home Premium be upgraded to 10? My second oldest laptop (in the order of aquiring them, and it's also the second slowest) has Win 7 HP and I've been thinking whether what I have on it really is worth keeping at all costs - and have also been thinking of lending away it to a girl I know from the Catholic college since her computer often suddenly turns off:

For Unix to make an informed decision, he might also consider that his Win 7 Pro can be upgraded to Win 10 Pro for free on July 29 or shortly afterward,

Hi Unix,

Here are a couple of MS links that will help you with the support question I hope.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows%20Server%202003%20R2#gp/lifePolicy

It looks like for Win 7 we are already into extended support which will go until 2020.

If there is any regional variation applicable you would have to dig further or ask MS.

As to upgrading I cannot find any specific restriction on the home editions. The main thing is that you need to be on SP1 to do the auto update route. But you need to be on SP1 anyway for the extended support updates.

HTH

Thx

D

It seems to be easy to still get hold of all the previous Windows versions and sometimes not that expensive, at least in Home Premium Editions. But does the information mean Vista can no longer be installed from scratch (not that I have much need to do that but if I find my installation DVD I might install on one old desktop computer)?:

If there is any regional variation applicable you would have to dig further or ask MS.

I don't know if you can get it or not. I've never used Vista. Of course if you have the CD you could certainly install it if the hardware will take it. But I wouldn't think there would be much cause to go further back than 7. Right now I would do 7 installs or 10 beta (if they are stable enough - I've not tried) because personally I dislike 8 but that's me - 8 would hold you for a month or two easy. Then in a month and a half 10 is available if the date holds.

Thx

D

I have all computers installed (except the oldest one which is a desktop which I mentioned in my previous post), but would perhaps want to install a Virtual Machine on one computer - it could be 7 or then 10 - that laptop is a bit old but quad-core and I really doubt I'll upgrade it to 10 but I could look how much I have on it that I'd like to keep - I've installed it only Months ago and it has Win 8.1. Then I also have one desktop computer (old quad-core) which has a bit bad disk, I don't know whether it's better to mirror the old disk or install from scratch, it used to have Windows 8.1 student license but it expired.
I checked with my dad, he doesn't have many left over Office licenses, if we activate Office 2013 on one of my computers (a fast desktop) there are no left over ones as he will probably buy mum a second computer (a desktop, in addition to her laptop). EDIT: I'm checking with dad if I could give mum my oldest laptop (2009 4 GB W7 Core 2 Duo 1.3 GHz small and mistreated SSD which would need to be mirrored to a 120 or 128 GB SSD, small computer, has to be used with external keyboard since the internal one doesn't function but all she needs is portability) - the requirement would be if she would be able to convert her current laptop to a desktop computer, I asked dad to check if it has a VGA-connector. I have a left-over VGA monitor 1366*768 pixels which would suit that purpose perfectly.
I should upgrade my best friend's desktop computer to Win 10 - will probably not afford to give her MS Office but I could look a little bit for used DVD:s with ownership license.
(And btw my dad's Office license is a rental one, not ownership):

Right now I would do 7 installs or 10 beta (if they are stable enough - I've not tried) because personally I dislike 8 but that's me - 8 would hold you for a month or two easy. Then in a month and a half 10 is available if the date holds.

Edited by Unix

Dad replied that mums laptop doesn't have a proper VGA-connector, but I suggested him he sells mums laptop, I'll wait and see what he answers to that - if he would do that I could give mum my oldest laptop. I really need to plan like this to get rid of some computers and put them to better use - and it would work if I have a possibility to some day get back the computer, it would be perfect for me to give it to mum:

I checked with my dad, he doesn't have many left over Office licenses, if we activate Office 2013 on one of my computers (a fast desktop) there are no left over ones as he will probably buy mum a second computer (a desktop, in addition to her laptop). EDIT: I'm checking with dad if I could give mum my oldest laptop (2009 4 GB W7 Core 2 Duo 1.3 GHz small and mistreated SSD which would need to be mirrored to a 120 or 128 GB SSD, small computer, has to be used with external keyboard since the internal one doesn't function but all she needs is portability) - the requirement would be if she would be able to convert her current laptop to a desktop computer, I asked dad to check if it has a VGA-connector. I have a left-over VGA monitor 1366*768 pixels which would suit that purpose perfectly.

Most likely I can't convince mum to take any of my laptops right now (she's nit-picky about monitor size so I offered her what would currently be my fastest laptop if expanding the RAM to 8 GB), so I'm trying to lend the laptop that I would eventually lend to mum, to my best friend for now for about 3 years, it's the one I mentioned in the parenthesis in this sentence, it has i7 (propably 1st generation) quad core, Win 8.1, 128 GB SSD and Logos 6.2 with "Now" installed as well as Noet 6.0b, I downloaded added resources to the latter installation a few days ago.

I'm considering choosing between these two Mac laptops:

mid-2012 http://www.tradera.com/item/302394/234602711/macbook-pro-13-ssd Macbook Pro
13"
CPU: i5 2.5 GHz 
RAM: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Disk: one 120 GB SSD, one 500 GB original HDD.
Trackpad supports gestures.
Mac2sell.net values it today to $835, in Sweden, incl. VAT (which is 25%).
Auction, current bid $384.

late-2007 http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Macbook_Pro_15__late_61001162.htm?ca=11&w=1 Macbook Pro
15"
Motherboard changed to a brand new one Winter 2011/2012 on the warranty to a new one in an authorized shop because of a known problem with the graphics of the model.
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
RAM: expandable to 6 GB, the upgrade costs $129 http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/ ... and that's actually a really good shop so I would order a 3.5" disk to replace a worn out one in an old quad-core Win 8.1 desktop I have plus perhaps something more, from the same store at the same time.
Graphics: 144 MB.
Disk: 240 GB SSD Samsung 830-series and a 320 GB replacement HDD, and another same HDD together with purchase of the used laptop.
Mac2sell.net values it (with the 6 GB RAM) today to $430, incl. VAT (which is 25%).
Price: $305 + some for getting it with the SSD.

Accordance would certainly run on the older machine. On the newer machine I could have version 6 of one of the Faithlife softwares, but disk space is limited so can't install all three. The old machine would take Verbum 5 and Logos 5.

There is also a 17" machine similar to the 2007 one but not with changed motherboard, comes with 8 GB RAM instead, and is from 2009, but the seller isn't replying me, I've written two email, first email very early in the morning Europe-time.

Which Mac would do?

I'm in contact with all the sellers except I didn't put in a bid on the mid-2012 Mac since during the final five minutes the price in the auction went up like crazy: the final and winning bid was $512.
The 2009 one may have went up a little - there are several interested and I'm calling him in 5 minutes from now.
The 2007 one with the new motherboard is purchasable - but like I mentioned I would have to agree on the exact price when including the SSD:

Most likely I can't convince mum to take any of my laptops right now (she's nit-picky about monitor size so I offered her what would currently be my fastest laptop if expanding the RAM to 8 GB), so I'm trying to lend the laptop that I would eventually lend to mum, to my best friend for now for about 3 years, it's the one I mentioned in the parenthesis in this sentence, it has i7 (propably 1st generation) quad core, Win 8.1, 128 GB SSD and Logos 6.2 with "Now" installed as well as Noet 6.0b, I downloaded added resources to the latter installation a few days ago.

I'm considering choosing between these two Mac laptops:

mid-2012 http://www.tradera.com/item/302394/234602711/macbook-pro-13-ssd Macbook Pro
13"
CPU: i5 2.5 GHz 
[...]
Mac2sell.net values it today to $835, in Sweden, incl. VAT (which is 25%).
Auction, current bid $384.

late-2007 http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Macbook_Pro_15__late_61001162.htm?ca=11&w=1 Macbook Pro
15"
Motherboard changed to a brand new one Winter 2011/2012 on the warranty to a new one in an authorized shop because of a known problem with the graphics of the model.
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
RAM: expandable to 6 GB, the upgrade costs $129
[...]
Mac2sell.net values it (with the 6 GB RAM) today to $430, incl. VAT (which is 25%).
Price: $305 + some for getting it with the SSD.

[...]

There is also a 17" machine similar to the 2007 one but not with changed motherboard, comes with 8 GB RAM instead, and is from 2009, but the seller isn't replying me, I've written two email, first email very early in the morning Europe-time.

Which Mac would do?

I'm in contact with all the sellers except I didn't put in a bid on the mid-2012 Mac since during the final five minutes the price in the auction went up like crazy: the final and winning bid was $512.

The 2009 one may have went up a little - there are several interested and I'm calling him in 5 minutes from now.

The 2007 one with the new motherboard is purchasable - but like I mentioned I would have to agree on the exact price when including the SSD:

With your requirements, I would get the 256 SSD and add the memory later. Think of it this way, to buy a new SSD would be around $250. You get the hardware for $100.

The seller of the 2007 MacBook Pro 15" with the motherboard changed, is asking for $85 extra for the 240 GB SSD and is giving service free of charge: he is putting the SSD in it (the HDD:s have been in it for some time while it has been a second computer and not used much), and equipping it with partitions with both an older OS X and version 10.10, and showing me how to start installing Mac and Windows on it. I also asked him how the mouse works, which he is going to show. The 240 GB SSD was carefully purchased for this particular model and cost $282 new (with the currency exchange rate between Swedish krona and USD back then) and the new HDD:s bought at the same time, 3 years ago, and the SSD and one HDD and were used for 1 year and thereafter only little. Until the motherboard was changed and still for ½ a year after the change of it, the computer was used a lot as the main computer.
He has used OpenOffice on it with the SSD and it functions so fast You barely have time to think while it works.
New battery is needed, and if using a lot of battery it goes down from 6 hours as new rapidly to 1 hour, but he hasn't used the computer with battery since the motherboard-change.
What's good about this model is that the battery can be changed very easily, I like that and am going to use that feature:

Yes, that's approximately what I've done with most of my computers, sometimes I choose an SSD sometimes an SSHD (hybrid drive) as disk. Many times an SSHD would be enough performance boost but I haven't found any with more than 8 GB NAND Flash ("SSD-part"), and with this Mac I need to get the electricity consumption during battery usage down. However I would like to avoid putting effort into upgrades after June 2015 and to be able to install Verbum at the end of June. I'll check how fast the RAM would ship. More RAM would help at the installation phase of Verbum. Also need to decide soon how much RAM because Yosemite requires a lot of RAM compared to some older system.
Is any of the following overseas shipping methods suitable for HDD:s and a good compromise between speed and cost with gentle enough handling? Sorry for asking but there are so many options, last time I had to choose was when ordering the print NIDB from Cokesbury at a sale new. (From http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/shipping):

DHL International Express
5:30PM
5:30PM
Ships Monday
FedEx International Economy
6:40PM
12:00PM
FedEx International Priority
UPS Express Saver International (1-2lb Padded Pack)
8:00PM
UPS Worldwide Expedited
7:30PM
UPS Worldwide Express
7:50PM
UPS Worldwide Saver
7:50PM
International Mail Delivery
1:00PM
Ships Monday
US Postal Service: Express Mail International
Ships Monday
US Postal Service: First Class Mail International Package
Ships Monday
US Postal Service: First Class Mail International Package
12:30PM
Ships Monday
US Postal Service: Priority Mail International
Ships Monday
US Postal Service: US Priority Mail International
Ships Monday

With your requirements, I would get the 256 SSD and add the memory later. Think of it this way, to buy a new SSD would be around $250. You get the hardware for $100.

I ordered a USB 3.0 port for the free ExpressCard slot together with the 6 GB RAM for my MacBookPro3,1.

Michel, let us know how it goes. There are some who say that Snow Leopard was the last great operating system for Mac.

Hi,

For my first productivity adventure, see my post at http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/16163-unicode-hebrew-in-mac-versions-of-accordance-11-scrivener-2-and-word-2011/?do=findComment&comment=78404

I'm very pleased with my MacBook so far. I expected Accordance to be fast and it is. I was also pleasantly surprised with the speed of BW and Logos on it, which I use on occasion.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My Mac adventure has ended with a misadventure. I got three flickering light blue/with a tinge of green screens of death, all associated with remote desktop software - TeamViewer and VNC - that affects the permissions. I couldn't boot into Safe or Recovery mode, and after I booted onto the installation DVD, Disk and Permissions Repair didn’t solve the problem. I had to freshly install SL three times yesterday and today. It might be a W10 issue, but I don’t know.

But, my overall experience was a positive one. I really like the simplicity of OS X, and the calming effect of not having to update and reboot constantly. I can delay and control the updates on my W10 Pro, but the W10 Home edition is already driving me crazy. In many ways OSX reminds me of Linux and Android.

If $ was no object, I'd get a Mac tomorrow. But, my Windows machines usually last a decade, so it might be five years or more before I shop for one.

So, from now on I'll be reading these Forums with a bit of envy, knowing that the majority of you receive calming computer therapy every day.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

If you like it you can look into Hackintosh... just google that.. Not ideally but one can run mac OS and some PC hardware.

-Dan

Or...,

Sell the current Windows desktop.

Buy a Mac.

Run both Mac and Windows applications on it.

Keep the Windows tablet and run the full version of Accordance on it.

Live a stress-free life.

• Like 1

Hey Michel,

On the win 10 updates - yes I've not upgraded yet - how frequently are you seeing patching on the Home edition ? I have both Home and Pro editions of Windows.

Curious because while I agree that keeping stuff patched up is basically goodness constant interruption is very irritating.

Thx

D