Question on searching

Emanuel Cardona

Perhaps a simple question to answer: A search by lemma in a Hebrew or Greek text includes different key numbered words, and thus different number of occurrences will result than if a search is done by a specific key numbered word using an English Bible. If one counts the occurrences of a word in Hebrew or Greek using a Hebrew or Greek text and then show its translation in an English Bible, would it not be better to use the results from a search of the lemma instead of the key numbered word? Blessings!

Hi Emanuel, I may have misunderstood your issue, but each key number is attached to a specific lemma. So a search for a specific key should only find that specific lemma. The recent wrinkle on that I have found is that some texts double the keying, so 2 key numbers are attached to one word, and so it can look like you are getting more that one lemma.

So, while a search for the lemma may have a different number of hits to a key numbered search, that is a translational issue in my understanding, not a searching issue.

Hi Emanuel, I may have misunderstood your issue, but each key number is attached to a specific lemma. So a search for a specific key should only find that specific lemma. The recent wrinkle on that I have found is that some texts double the keying, so 2 key numbers are attached to one word, and so it can look like you are getting more that one lemma.

So, while a search for the lemma may have a different number of hits to a key numbered search, that is a translational issue in my understanding, not a searching issue.

Ok, I think I understand now, it is a translational issue.  So, if I search for a key word in an English Bible and the results come out with more hits than searching by lemma in an original text, that means that those words were added on by the translators, correct?  And if I search for a key word in an English Bible and the results come out with less hits than searching by lemma in an original text, that means that those original words were omited or not translated by the translators?   Another question ... when searching, typing in מִשְׁחָה, I see מָשְׁחָה־1 twice and מָשְׁחָה־2 twice, why are מָשְׁחָה־1 and מָשְׁחָה־1 not grouped together and מָשְׁחָה־2 with מָשְׁחָה־2 as well?

Edited by Emanuel Cardona

Ok, I understand now, it is a translational issue.  Another question ... when searching typing in מִשְׁחָה, I see מָשְׁחָה־1 twice and מָשְׁחָה־2 twice, why are מָשְׁחָה־1 and מָשְׁחָה־1 not grouped together and מָשְׁחָה־2 and מָשְׁחָה־2 as well?

I also noticed that sometimes I copy and paste a lemma and press enter, and then notice after that I forgot to type in the equal sign before the lemma, and thus giving me different number of hits.  What kind of search is this ... lemma without adding in the equal sign (I know that with the equal sign, the hits correspond to a specific key word)? 

Hi ya,

Without the equals or quotes, original language searches will be lexical searches.

Check out these help pages on inflected, exact and lexical searches:

Greek : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win11/Default.htm#topics/11_ggtt/entering_greek_lexical_and_inflected_forms.htm

Hebrew : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win11/Default.htm#topics/11_ggtt/entering_hebrew_lexical_and_inflected_forms.htm

Thx

D

Hi ya,

Without the equals or quotes, original language searches will be lexical searches.

Check out these help pages on inflected, exact and lexical searches:

Greek : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win11/Default.htm#topics/11_ggtt/entering_greek_lexical_and_inflected_forms.htm

Hebrew : http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win11/Default.htm#topics/11_ggtt/entering_hebrew_lexical_and_inflected_forms.htm

Thx

D

Thank you!

Glad you seem to have ironed this out Emanuel. Keep asking :-) As you see, we’re all here to help and to ask questions.

Glad you seem to have ironed this out Emanuel. Keep asking :-) As you see, we’re all here to help and to ask questions.

Thank you for being helpful!