Computer Suggestions for Grad School

Drew_A

Hi All,

I will be heading to graduate theological school in the fall. As it has been a while since I've been in school - I wanted to see what's really helpful for the classroom/day to day. Any specifics that help with Accordance?

I would like to have the ability to work on some multimedia projects as well so I'm leaning towards a 13" macbook pro with retina (balancing power/price/weight). However, I'm intrigued by a surface pro 3 with Stylus.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Drew

Go Mac. You'll get loads of Apple software for free, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie etc.

Recommend a bigger screen (15") and bigger storage, it will fill up quickly esp. if you want to do media projects.

On the mac side, the 13 inch mbpR is the sweet spot. I would get at least 256gig for storage. 

When I was doing windows I always choose the manufacturer, then the laptop.

The built it SSD storage that comes in all Mac laptops, except the non-retina 13" MacBook Pro, performs beautifully.  It's fast, lightweight, but expensive.  Get as much storage as you can afford.  It can be upgraded, but, right now, it's not cheap.  Memory cannot be upgraded.  I'd max that out.  Buy the machine you'll need in 4 or 5 years, not the minimum of what you can get by with for now.  Down the road, your Mac won't feel old and dated, and when you upgrade, you'll get a good price for your computer.

A couple of thing to consider —

1. If you really need more storage, you can use an external drive.  Many options to chose from.
  2. ​If you really need a bigger screen, consider getting a good monitor.  My MacBook Air is running a 27" (2560 x 1440) Dell with 4 USB3 downstream ports. 
  3. Take advantage of TimeMachine for backing up all your stuff.  You might want to consider redundant backups.

I've got a drive on order that I'm going to use for iTunes to free up space on my internal SSD.

• Like 1

I would echo the above on a smaller laptop but a large external monitor. I have an early 2010 13" MBP still going strong. Thought for a while I wanted to upgrade to a 15" or 17", but I find I rarely want the bigger screen when I am away from my desk.

Thank you everyone for the input! Certainly helped clarify what is important.

I found a really good deal on the Apple refurbished section of their store and placed the order. Only from July of last year. It should last for a very long while.

Congrats!  Refurbs are a very good choice.  You still get the same warranty, and the laptop has had a very thorough going-over.  It should serve you very well.