Looking for resources for advanced hermeneutics

Emanuel Cardona

I am looking for resources on specialized areas of hermeneutics evidencing years of concentrated scholarly focus.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

I've long relied on the Guides to Biblical Scholarship series for these sorts of things.

What kind of specific areas are you interested in?

Here is a list to consider:

I'd start with: Mueller-Vollmer, Kurt, The Hermeneutics Reader, then read

Hans-Georg, Gadamer, Truth and Method

______, Philosophical Hermeneutics

Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations

Lakoff, George, Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things

Ricoeur, Paul, Hermeneutics and the Human Sciences

______, The Conflict of Interpretation

Martinich, A. P., The Philosophy of Language

Evans & Green, Cognitive Linguistics

Davis & Gillon, Semantics: A Reader

You read those, digest them, and you will put yourself in a good position for any advanced topic relating to hermeneutics.

I've long relied on the Guides to Biblical Scholarship series for these sorts of things.

What kind of specific areas are you interested in?

Something beyond Grant Osborne, Kevin Vanhoozer and Anthony Thiselton's books.  I have not narrowed down to a specific area yet.  I wanted to know more or so what is availiable out there.

Here is a list to consider:

I'd start with: Mueller-Vollmer, Kurt, The Hermeneutics Reader, then read

Hans-Georg, Gadamer, Truth and Method

______, Philosophical Hermeneutics

Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations

Lakoff, George, Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things

Ricoeur, Paul, Hermeneutics and the Human Sciences

______, The Conflict of Interpretation

Martinich, A. P., The Philosophy of Language

Evans & Green, Cognitive Linguistics

Davis & Gillon, Semantics: A Reader

You read those, digest them, and you will put yourself in a good position for any advanced topic relating to hermeneutics.

Do these touch on hermeneutics in relation to the Bible or hermeneutics in general?

Emanuel,

Yaakov's list contains a variety of authors of the philosophy and theory of hermeneutics. They are theoretical, rather than practical.

Emanuel,

Yaakov's list contains a variety of authors of the philosophy and theory of hermeneutics. They are theoretical, rather than practical.

What about advanced hermeneutics books that are more practical?

Hermeneutics is a theoretical discipline. If you really want to ascertain a deeper understanding of the field, you are by its very nature venturing into a theoretical question. However, more nuance is required, as Gadamer's Truth and Method is a descriptive project. You'd be much better off reading in the field of hermeneutics, for biblical scholars rarely are aware of the issues in the field.

Hermeneutics is a theoretical discipline. If you really want to ascertain a deeper understanding of the field, you are by its very nature venturing into a theoretical question. However, more nuance is required, as Gadamer's Truth and Method is a descriptive project. You'd be much better off reading in the field of hermeneutics, for biblical scholars rarely are aware of the issues in the field.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your help.

Ah, I am going to disagree, Yaakov, even though I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, there is a theoretical basis to hermeneutics, which deserves a certain amount of reflection. However, there is a more practical level. Interpretation also deals with the idiosyncrasies of the various genres and forms in the Bible : the saying, the proverb, the prophetic oracle, the miracle story, the lament, etc. Each of these deserves some special attention with regard to proper hermeneutics.

Now, even as I say this, the definitions of exegesis and hermeneutics do vary widely in our discipline—or should I say that the boundary between them varies widely. What one may call "hermeneutics," another may call exegesis.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Timothy,

Should I take your argument as theoretical? Cheers.

• Like 1

Specific to biblical hermeneutics, I am not sure how one gets "beyond Anthony Thiselton." While certainly not "beyond Thiselton," Stanley E. Porter has done a lot of writing on biblical hermeneutics. I can't imagine any truly in depth study of hermeneutics without reading Paul Ricour 

Specific to biblical hermeneutics, I am not sure how one gets "beyond Anthony Thiselton." While certainly not "beyond Thiselton," Stanley E. Porter has done a lot of writing on biblical hermeneutics. I can't imagine any truly in depth study of hermeneutics without reading Paul Ricour

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your suggestions. I appreciate it.  Which book(s) of P. Ricoeur do you have in mind?

Edited by Emanuel Cardona

The two suggested by Yaakov Jannis would be a good start. Also Figuring the Sacred: Religion, Narrative and Imagination

Jul 1, 1995

by Paul Ricoeur and Mark I. Wallace is worth reading.

Thank you!

I recommend Ricour, too, by the way.

I recommend Ricour, too, by the way.

Thank you!

• 6 months later...