Scripture links in BDAG & many other tools

Julia Falling

Hey –

I really didn't know where to post this, but here goes.  It looks like all the Scripture links in BDAG, WBC-NT, Reformation Study Bible, NAS95 Notes, Holman Dictionary, etc., are broken on my MacBook Air.  Basically, all Tool Scripture links.  They work fine on the Mac mini.  The cursor morphs into little magnifying glass, but nothing shows up in ID, and nothing shows up if I click and hold.  If I click on the link, the verse(s) won't open in the new tab or zone.  All links work in my User Notes.

• I've restarted Accordance.  Nothing changed.  
  • I rebooted the Mac. The problem persists.
  • I closed all Accordance windows and opened just BDAG.  Still broken.  
  • Quit and restarted Accordance again with only the BDAG window (and that is all that was in it).  The problem persists.
  • Ran Disk Utility, Repaired Permissions & restarted Accordance.  Just the BDAG window came up because I had closed all the others.  Links, but only Scripture links, still broken.  Same for the other Tools I checked.
  • I quit everything but Safari and ran a File Structures check in TechTool Pro (TTP8).  There were a couple of corrupt files (non-Accordance).  I deleted those, but, not surprisingly, nothing changed.

Something seems to have become corrupted in Accordance, but I have no idea what to do next except perhaps to use TTP8 to rebuild Volume Structures.  I have corrected many computer problems this way over the years and never lost any data.  I'm thoroughly and exhaustively (and redundantly :rolleyes:) backed up, so I think I'll try that and do what I need to do on the mini until the Air is fixed. 

Will report back.  Any insights or ideas appreciated.

Julia,

Sorry, but I can't replicate the behavior.  I'm running Accordance 11.03 on 10.10.3 on a Macbook Air.  I tested with WBC-NT and a few other tools, and all of the behaviors you mentioned are working fine.  

The steps you've already taken are what I would have suggested.  Hopefully someone will have an idea of where to go next.

Mike

I have had this problem appear from time to time and then it magically resolves later. I have not seen a pattern or I would have reported it.

Very strange.  I am encouraged, however, that you've seen it too, Tony.  

I have moved the folder containing my Saved Windows, including the ones with the 'dead links' to the mini and opened them there.  Initially, I had WBC-NT open as one of the panes and the links I checked didn't work.  So I switched that pane to another Tool.  Its links worked.  Switched back to WBC-NT and the links worked this time.  But this is on the mini.  I tried toggling between tools on the Air and nothing changed.  

I'm now backing up everything on the Air to Time Capsule one last time and then will back up to the external TimeMachine drive.  Then I'll see what TTP can do.  It has fixed weird stuff in the past.  We'll find out if it does the same here.  It requires rebooting in a partition created by TTP that contains TTP itself and the parts of OS X needed to run it.  I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks, Mike, for checking.  I know I've seen this before, just as Tony has.  I can't remember whether I did anything to fix it or if it just went away.  Maybe I need to keep a log of computer weirdness and the fixes for it.

Edited by Julie Falling

Julie... have you tried just deleting one of those tools from your library... then using easy install to get it back?  See it that would fix the one tool. 

Steve – I deleted BDAG & reinstalled.  No change.  I had already completed the Volume Structures check.  TTP detected no problems with the Volume Structures so a rebuild was not necessary.  I'm going to rebuild the Workspace I use for my devotional time (which always involves some 'rabbit chasing').  I trashed the old one.  Seems to me that last time this happened, it was that Workspace that was corrupt. 

Edited by Julie Falling

Hey –  I've rebuilt the workspace on the Air.  All the problems are the same.  Scripture links work in my User Notes and in the Info Pane (xRefs).  But in Tools, they're as dead as ever.

Yeah – I think you're right.  Accordance is not crippled, but it certainly isn't working as it should.

Since it is working correctly on the mini, I think I'll move the Prefs in the Library folder from the mini to the Air and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I'll give tech support a call.

Didn't work.

Hey – I called tech support and Billy got it solved.  I'd already done the preliminary things he would have recommended, and that sped up the process.  Because everything was working on the mini, I deleted a bunch of stuff on the Air in User > Library> Preferences, then moved the Accordance Preferences folder in User > Library > Preferences from the mini to the Air.  My links are all fixed.  Hurrah!

Tech support at Accordance is top notch!  Thanks, Billy.

They are my heroes as well... but hey... they are my co-workers!!!

Ok.. I know... I'm bias...

That's a good kind of bias to have, Steve.